melonite a barrel?

When Blacknitriding barrel same as any process similar, do not shoot the barrel before you get process done to your barrel. Firecracking we have not noticed, but we are not checking for this either, the barrels we have done about a dozen have all shot very well and are so much easier to clean. Our customers that are using blacknitride barrels are reordering them. Barrel accuracy seems to last longer, but in reality we have not done enough to get a good report on barrel life over standard barrel.

H&M is about 20 miles from our door and they do many barrels for many different manufacturers of pistols, rifles and AR's

Jim

Jim, have you had any actions or bolts treated with this process? Thanks, James

with Blacknitride we do not see this. So the 100 degrees difference is a big deal. We also had a Atlas Tactical done in the first ever gold blacknitride, check it out at kelbly.com under the Golden Girl awesome rifle with cool paint job. A real showstopper at gun shows."

Jim, have you had any actions or bolts treated with this process? Thanks, James

i think we are going to get in a discussion the term "coating".
it is not a "coating" in the terms of paint or such.
it is a surface treatment( two layer)......it is
part of the part,
let the word wars begin.

Are you bustin my chops Bart or you really don't know that it's not a coating?

Actions and bolts we have done over a thousand of them and counting.

BLACKNITRIDE™, or Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, is the thermochemical that simultaneously diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the surface of ferrous metals. During the process, a two-part surface layer is formed, an outer iron nitride layer with a nitrogen diffusion layer below it. During this treatment, nitrogen and carbon are absorbed by and diffused into the surface of the metal. Reproducible and uniform layers with a predetermined thickness will be formed on all areas of the metal. The result of this process is markedly improved surface properties on ferrous metal parts while maintaining dimensional and shape stability.

Metal components treated with BLACKNITRIDE™ have increased wear-resistance, fatigue strength, corrosion resistance, lubricity and cosmetic appeal. Often replacing the more expensive processes of hard chrome or nickel plating, BLACKNITRIDE™ gives better corrosion protection at equivalent or lower costs. Additionally, BLACKNITRIDE™ is commonly used as an alternative to high temperature conventional heat treatments such as carburizing and carbonitriding.

I have had many treated by Joel Kendrick. As Jerry Hensler says, Clean it after!!! I sent mine in new and clean. I cleaned and lapped with ISSO thoroughly . Didn't shoot any better nor worse, just lasted a great deal longer.

Back