MechForce barrel vice

What do you think of the MechForce barrel vice?

Could not find a link to "MechForce barrel vice."
Try a Davidson barrel vice.
Use of V blocks eliminates precision sizing.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ories/barrel-vises/barrel-vise-prod36757.aspx

Some very fine wet or dry paper will improve the grip on the barrel.
Just need a few strips.

Action wrenches that use the bolt lugs seem to have become scarce.
I have a nice T shaped one.
The arms are around 1/2 inch of forged steel.

https://mechforce-usa.com/mechforce-professional-grade-heavy-duty-barrel-vise/

Whether it would work or not depends on your usage.

This vise is typical of most competition vises. It is essentially the same as Bob Pastor's 'Viper' which is very popular. It will work for custom applications but will not take the barrel off a Walmart Special Remington 700 SPS and a Weatherby would just make it roll over and summarily expire.

It will work for a typical benchrester, along with a rear entry action wrench you'll be able to exert up to 50ftlb.....and with a proper action wrench you can probably get 'er to hold to around 100ftlb

For taking off factory barrels and for tightening beyond 100ftlb you'll probably prefer something bigger. Or, as I did, you can modify this vise by adding upper and lower steel plates and drilling for a third pulldown bolt if you ever need to do heavy stuff.

I recommend you go down to Lowes and buy some 1/2"X1/8" aluminum bar stock to make shims to line the vise so that the anodizing doesn't scratch your barrel. Also go to a sports store and buy a pitcher's rosin bag, cut it open and shake the rosin into a tupperware, use rosin to increase friction.

a little heat goes a long way as well- heat action ( heat gun ) freeze barrel ( co2)

Last edited:
a little heat goes a long way as well- heat action ( heat gun ) freeze barrel ( co2)
Nitrogen in a dip tube tank is even better.
The output is liquid nitrogen.

The Mech Force clamp is a "Davidson type" clamp.
They work very well if you have a stout enough surface to clamp them onto.

Or you can go with the PBike barrel vise, which is every bit as good as or better than most on the market. It will fit anything from 5/8” to 1 5/8” barrels.

Last edited:
Or you can go with the PBike barrel vise, which is every bit as good as or better than most on the market. It will fit anything from 5/8” to 1 5/8” barrels.

I'll try to attach the picture you emailed me:

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 238
I ended up buying a PMA Tool Barrel Vice. Haven't used it yet but it feels heavy duty.

What do you guys use between the barrel and vice jaws?

10ring,

And make sure everything is bone-effing’ dry. I get after my vice, bushings, and barrel with acetone before clamping everything up.

Justin

If you have to do all that. You are taking off tighter barrels than I am or doing something wrong. I just put an index card around the barrel, tighten the four nuts on our vise, insert our proper action wrench and crank away. What actions are you removing barrels from….or installing?

If you have to do all that. You are taking off tighter barrels than I am or doing something wrong. I just put an index card around the barrel, tighten the four nuts on our vise, insert our proper action wrench and crank away. What actions are you removing barrels from….or installing?

Factory barrels often have an interference fit on the last few threads.
The first time you take one off the force is often high.
after that it is more 'reasonable.'
I have a speed driver that you can use a torque wrench on for tightening things up.

I usually use a strip of very fine (a couple thousand grit) wet or dry paper.
Allows a little less force on removing or installing.

To me most of the ones mentioned are OK for BR barrels, but otherwise a POS.Mine is similar to the Brownells that require fitted inserts for the different barrel contours. Mine does have 4 clamping bolts and 2 springs from a rotary press to lift the top when you loosen your clamping screws. For some reason I have not learned how to post photos on this forum. Oh, on the inserts I bore them close and then fill it with Devcon Aluminum to fit the barrel.

To me most of the ones mentioned are OK for BR barrels, but otherwise a POS.Mine is similar to the Brownells that require fitted inserts for the different barrel contours. Mine does have 4 clamping bolts and 2 springs from a rotary press to lift the top when you loosen your clamping screws. For some reason I have not learned how to post photos on this forum. Oh, on the inserts I bore them close and then fill it with Devcon Aluminum to fit the barrel.

Regarding posting photos ..... I think I found a button, if you scroll down a ways, that says "manage attachments" or something like that.

Back