May be a silly question

Good on you Jackie,
It has been said that an average mechanic can build something that will work. It takes an engineer to build something that will barely work.:D

Back to his question, Is there any was to fit a heli-coil to an action?

Ben

I don't want to rile anybody but I don't think that a Helicoil has anywhere near the integrity of a solid bushing. I've built tooling where we installed a lot of inserts into aluminum tooling plate but they were never helicoils. There are much neater designs out there.
Helicoils have their place but I don't think it is on barrel threads. Helicoils are bandaids, IMO.
Opinions, we all have them.

I agree

But, for the sake of the poor poster who wants his question answered, explain how you would fit a bushing or some other system into a 40x action.

Ben

Jay

Through the years, I have seen several strength test performed on Heli-Coil installations, and as far as ultimate strength is concerned, the Heli-Coil joint was proven to be just as strong as a standard thread. There are even those who tout that they are stronger in softer materials, (aluminum, brass, cast iron), due to the increased thread area in the female section.

I do not know, however, if it will hold the radial position as well as a solid thread. That is very criticle in a Rifle Barrel installation.

If you managed to aquire a 1.062 Heli-Coil, bored out the action and threaded it to accomodate the assembly, I have all confidence it would be plenty strong enough.. But, I have no idea where you would get a 1.062 Heli-Coil thread kit.........jackie

You can have them made for custom sizes by Helicoil for a price.

I agree they are not what you would do for a normal installation, but be mindful, the question posed was not a normal request.

I..did, under discrimination and proof, agree to let ABB install 16 thrusters, on two vessels to mounting blocks with helicoils in them. The alternative was major re-work.

It was a good choice, now 5 years into operation without an issue, including both vessels were hit directlt by hurrican Katrina and Rita.

Ben

Helicoils are made from 304SS but are available in other alloys.
Using them in a static loaded application is not the same as using them in a situation where repeated shock loading is normal.
That is country boy intuitive thinking, no engineers live here.

Back