Max loads are they hurting my firearm

Worker
I get in trouble 26 times a year for saying this but Norma brass while being very uniformn is actually quite soft.It has been for atleast 10 years now and is well documented by many of the very best shooters.You will notice extremely few competive shooters using Norma 6ppc or Norma 6BR brass.The reason is without being to blunt is it won't handle pressure very well.

You can run 6.5X284 Lapua brass into your 6X284 full length die and you have instant 6X284 brass that is of a higher quality.
I talked with an active competitor of 30 years two days ago and he had just ordered up a new reamer that will use Lapua brass to create a 280 Ackley Improved.I asked him why he was designing a reamer to fit his brass when 280 brass is now common place and his reply was so he could use the tougher Lapua brass.
Waterboy

Lynn

You want get in trouble here for saying that.

While Norma is unsurpassed in its quality, they use a alloy that is on the soft side. They should send a spy over to Lapua and find out what they make theirs out of.

And you are correct with another statement. There are a lot of shooters, when wanting to build a new Rifle, decide on what chambering to go with based on one criteria, does Lapua make brass for it. Or, does Lapua make a case that can be modified to fit what you want.

In the world of brass, there is Lapua, and everybody else.

By the way, I wonder when Lapua is going to start making a 30BR case, right out of the box. ........jackie

You know your own gun much better than we do, and maybe you are right that very hot loads are more accurate.

However, I have filled many notebook pages with data by testing loads in my Savage Model 12 22-250 and also chronographed my loads, getting some additional sense of how hot my hot loads really were.

I finally found my most accurate loads were about 3 grains under the maximum loads. I also found that some of the maximum loads in the handbooks were showing pressure signs, like stretched primer pockets and other signs.

Cooling the loads down a little not only gives me my best accuracy, but also probably puts less stress on the rifle and the brass.

Good luck to you--

Just bought a Chronograph

I should get it end of next week.Amazing so far the difference Re#17 makes. Posters on this thread have all contributed a wealth of wisdom. Happy New Year to ya all. Now apparently Doug questions the killer chip monks , He just might be a double agent working for PITA:cool:

Back