Matches in Michigan

No problem.

What target do/will you shoot at those matches?

Is there camping space at that club? Pickup camper-self contained, 110 plug in is nice

I'll need to make it out to a few of these for sure. The Holton club might actually work out nicely for me.

I just now pulled the dates for ARA matches off their website. Some clubs I know are ARA, have not listed their schedules yet on the ARA website.
I know there are more ARA clubs down there in the Mitten. I'll check the ARA schedule again later.
Here is what I got from their site.
------------------------------
4/16/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
5/14/2011 Holton Gun & Bow
5/28/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
6/11/2011 Holton Gun & Bow
6/18/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
7/9/2011 Holton Gun & Bow
7/16/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
8/13/2011 Holton Gun & Bow
8/20/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
9/10/2011 Holton Gun & Bow
9/17/2011 Mecosta Rod & Gun Club
10/8/2011 Holton Gun & Bow Club Tournament

I will post these dates on the master schedule at the top, tomorrow.

Hillsdale ARA

Joe: Hillsdale is the only other ARA in Michigan unless the the club in Mt. Pleasant decides to shoot ARA. ( Would be great if they did). Also thanks for posting the schedule for Holton and Mecosta Co.

Mike:)

I don't thing there are any IR-50/50 or RBA matches here in Michigan, are there? Our club ran a couple of Sanctioned RBA matches about five year ago. The match attendance was real poor: No more than 8 shooters in either match. Our matches UP here uses the USBR target, but we don't sanction our matches through them. We changes the rifle class rules to appeal to our local shooters, and added a 25 yard match on the same 50 yard target. That 25 yard match made a big difference in the number of shooters we attract.

There are some maps in that site, but ya got'a hunt for em.
Here is one of them:

MichiganCCSA2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was on the NBRSA website. It the kind a thing that makes a YooperShooter Mad.

NBRSAMap.jpg

What's with the Cannon?
Logo92x16kb.jpg

Well: It was kept a deep dark secret for several years, but the cat got out of the bag five years ago.

Back in 1972 some College Students in ROTC wanted to shot a 3/4 size cannon. They asked my permission to shoot it at our range. I got them a 200 yard HP target. They set if at the base of our 45 foot hill - backstop. They set up the cannon on Ridge Road which was 300 yards from the base of the hill. These modern artillery men really did not know the cannon's trajectory, so they guessed. Bad guess, as the shot went clean over that hill. Next road over was a mile to the west.

After the roar, nobody spoke: Complete silence. Then O.M.G.!

Then the man with the trigonometry in his head made an elevation adjustment. The second shot hit the top of the hill with a remarkable impact. Dirt was flying in all directions, just like you see in those Civil War Movies.

Will our Trig man made another adjustment and the third shot blow a big hole in that 200 yard HP rifle target.

We thought we should keep this little episode quite, and hope that the Sheriff would not come knocking on my door, or any of the other officers of the Chippewa County Shooting Association, which is 4 miles south of the Sault Sainte Marie city limits.

It ended up in a field 'down range' per one of the shooters. The prejectile was retrieved. The shooter is now shooting in heaven. He told me that while driving N to a match at CCSA a couple summers ago.

Last edited:
It's one mile to the next road west: Shunk Road. Our property is 1/2 mile deep. Before Doug passed on, he told me they found the "projectile", but didn't say if they found it on our 80 acres, or the 80 to the west of us. We don't think it went across Shunk Road and onto Mr. Shunk's farm. That would be more than a mile away.

Ya Know . . .
Back in the 1980s-90s: 3 clubs in the three Eastern Counties of the UP were running Sanctioned NBRSA Group Matches. And: We all had moving backers.

We are still UP here, but CF Benchrest did not survive.

I can remember St Ignace, and the Soo, bacause I won the UP 2 gun one year. If memory serves me right, we shot one yardage at the Soo and then drove down to St Ignace for the second yardage on the Sunday. What was the 3rd range?

Hi Bill:
That 3rd range was at Newberry, in Luce County.
65 miles west of The Soo.
The gunsmith, Clayton Buckler built the range.
6 concrete benches under cover to 100 yards.

Back