Marlin X7VH

Jim D

Just picked one up and was wondering if anyone has experience with this particular rifle ?
The one I bought is in 223 with a 26" barrel, and a 1/9 tw.
Thanks !
Jim

Doesn't sound like factory original with that barrel length. I have no direct experience. You might try the Marlin Owners forum.

Reply to jim d

This thread is 6months old but if you are watching I have a Marlin xs7 in 223 with 1 in 9 twist but mine has a 22" barrel, have never heard of a 26" variation but would be interested to hear how it is going. As I am also a member of The Marlin owners forum, will post a thread there and see if anyone knows about your particular model?

Hi Murphy

Ashamed to say it's still sitting waiting on a scope, and right now, I've got too many irons in the fire.

Jim

To Jim D

Glad you spotted my post, I don't think you will be disappointed when you finally try it out. Mine routinely puts 3 shots into around .4" with 53g Sierra match or 65g Sierra GK at 100yds. Surprisingly even very light bullets shoot well with 35g Hornady VMax doing 3600fps and grouping .75" for 3 shot groups. If you are looking for a scope mount anything off a Win. model 70 short action will fit. About my only complaint is that bullets would not feed from the magazine of the brand new rifle, but it was fixed under warranty. If you have not already tried it run a few rounds through the magazine and see what happens?

Glad to hear your Marlin is shootin.

My rifle came with Weaver mounts, and I've got Burris Signature rings waiting.
The 26in barrel with a 1/9 twist worries me. I'm afraid by the time the bullet gets to the end, it will be stripped.

I'll run a few rounds through my action to check the function. I haven't even checked the trigger.

Thanks

Jim

To Jim D

Don't run the rounds through the action while checking the trigger, especially inside the house!;) The 1 in 9 twist seems to be a great idea to me as it makes the rifle more versatile, especially on a sporter. Those seeking the ultimate in accuracy prefer a slower twist but it is hard to argue with 1/2"groups in a hunting rifle with an unaltered factory bedding arrangement.

Years ago, Savage started using 1 in 9 in their .223s. There have been no problems. In fact, in California, where non lead bullets may be mandated for hunting for the entire state, it is an advantage, since lead free bullets are longer for a given weight and require faster twist, unless very light bullets , that suffer from a serious BC disadvantage, are used.

Thanks Boyd !
I've heard about lead killing the eagles around here.
I believe it's on the way.
Good to know about the twist !
Jim

twist

fast twist in the 223 shouldnt ever be a problem. In high power we use 1-7 and 1-8 all the time for the heavy bullets up to 80 gr. (some even 1-6.5 for 90 gr) But many shoot 52's etc just for short course or practice with no issue at all.
Nice thing about the 1-9 is it should work up to 75-77 gr bullet weights opening your options more then a 1-12 would.

Back