Marlin 39A .22RF

The forend on my Marlin .22RF is a little bit loose. The wood has shrunk.
It is about 50 years old. The stock was refinished with Tru-Oil 25 years ago.
Basically it sits in a safe. Is there any tricks to getting the stock to swell .020" -.040" or so to eliminate the loose fit?
Thanks,
Centerfire

I don't know a permanent way to make the wood swell back to original fit specifications, but you can tighten the fit up with a variety of methods. Shims of wood or paper can be inserted out of sight at the action front between the wood and metal for instance. You also can put a dab of RTV sealant out of sight at the offending areas to make things fit better. Plastic wood would also work, as would epoxy, etc. Most of the time I prefer the RTV as it can give a bit during expansion from heat and may be less prone to negatively affect accuracy.

Scott

Oil it real good and store it in your bath room for a couple a months .... check often
Good Luck

take it out and shoot cowboy silhouette with it they are the most accurate lever rimfire ever made.

ML McPherson, in his book "Accurizing the Factory Rifle", has information and suggestions about improving Marlins. From what I have read, the RTV silicone bedding trick is what he would endorse. You could also contact someone like Treebone carving and get a new, premium stock set. This would be more expensive and time consuming, but Treebone has some great lever action patterns.

Scott Shevellin

Scott, I tried the RTV at the rear of the front stock and it has worked perfectly.
Thank You,
Centerfire.

Back