Mandatory Superfeet use

I have the John Loh rest and his :cool: integrated Super-foot plate. Looks like a triangle with a triangulated hole in the center. The holes for the rest leg pins are dead on with the holes in the light weight aircraft aluminum plate.

No longer a need to lay down separate feet. There is neoprene type material under each foot. You have to call J.J. Industries (562) 602-5553 and ask for the product. It's about $75. If he doesn't answer, leave a message. He'll call you back. He's on Pacific Standard Time.

Some people just like to pound things. Pounding is not a wholly irrational act (sometimes). If something is not working, and it's not too expensive, I will usually pound it a little just to see if it straightens out. This does not include my expensive rests, however. I like my Super Feet, and I like them to have a fairly constant surface to sit on, not one that's been pounded so it looks like it's been cluster-bombed.

If I had a hammer

I started using superfeet when they first came out and still do. The larger superfeet work best for me both with railguns and front rests. I have had the smaller diameter ones slip with light front rests. I use them for a number of reasons. They work. They support the rests and rails in a level plane. I do not have to worry about my rail's or rest's feet falling into an adjacent hole during a group. They preserve the integrity of the bench top over many years of use. As far as an erosion of our freedoms with their mandatory use I can live with it. We have an extensive rule book in our sport which limits our freedoms and choices already. Tim

Last edited:
Another point of view...

When you shoot in a match you pay to participate. Isn't part of those funds intended to be used to maintain the range, benches included?

When you consider the cost of putting on a match-------

Another point of view...

When you shoot in a match you pay to participate. Isn't part of those funds intended to be used to maintain the range, benches included?
The host ends up with very little. If it was not for volunters it would be even less. Why do you think so many ranges have stopped scheduling matches?

I'll ask you the same question that I asked Wilbur. Built many benches? Most of the bench construction that I am aware of has been done by unpaid volunteers, as would any repairs. If I was paid by the hour for the time that I put into the benches that we built, and the other volunteers as well, there is no way that the club could never have afforded the project.
The little bit that a range gets from match fees, is a pittance. Like most organizations, shooting clubs exist because of the hard work of a very small fraction of the membership. Generally, the folks that have built, don't tear things up.

I just can not believe that there are people that don't understand that you are being given a gift anytime someone hosts a match. Think about it, if there was money to be made, as Jerry said why are ranges closing down? You should be thanking everyone involved with the match, the target crew, the range officers, the referees and mainly the dude in charge. I just don't understand it.

I just can not believe that there are people that don't understand that you are being given a gift anytime someone hosts a match. Think about it, if there was money to be made, as Jerry said why are ranges closing down? You should be thanking everyone involved with the match, the target crew, the range officers, the referees and mainly the dude in charge. I just don't understand it.

You see Charlie I am the one who shows up early to hang new backer boards and clean up the range before people arrive. Then I have the pleasure of acting as range officer, compile the stats and function as match director. In my spare time I watch so that everyone brings their bolts and ammo to the line in a timely manner :)

While I haven't built benches as of yet I can understand wear and tear can be expected as someone else has pointed out...

Sounds like you are one of the gooduns. To be clear, I am not talking about Wilbur's little peck. I have seen fellows take a strong swing with a good sized hammer. As far as politically correct goes, that is usually applied to the use of language being restricted. Use any language you want. I am taking a public position on a semi-controversial topic, in an attempt to raise shooter awareness. BTW lest anyone think that having their points in direct contact with the bench top is a requirement for obtaining best accuracy, Gary Ocock's rail, has round disks between its points and the bench top....you know, the one that he shot the records with.

I wonder if the same people who see no problem with "wacking" the feet of the rest on the bench top no matter how gentle they would do it,would be willing to let the clubs range officer "wack" their scope with the same force?

Well....little peck here, little peck there...pretty soon it's all trashed up. Go with no pecking at all.

Jeez. First whales, now bench tops. It's a slippery slope; you'll all wind up in (Hades).

The Original Intent of the founding fathers of benchrest, framers of the NBRSA rulebook, was that except from unlimited, you have to aim your rifle.

That's Aim It, with your body. Not some intermediate knob-twiddling nonsense that takes you half way to the dreaded "return to battery."

Now if the slippery slope has endangered the benchtops and all you liberals just have to save them, there is an easy solution. Just allow clamping the rest to the benchtop.

That's the simplest solution. Otherwise, the clubs are going to have to employ a host of top-cleaners, so the little rubber cushions of the superfeet don't load up with dust. Have you figured out the cost of all those benchtop cleaners? Besides, it's a degrading job.

Another way would be to use heavy front rest pedestals. I had a 50-pounder that didn't move on the bench. Yes, it used old armor-piercing bullet tips as feet, but you didn't have to pound them in at all. Just lovingly set the rest on the bench, shoot, and pick it up. Not a mark on the bench. Problem is, I now have trouble carrying a 20-pound sack of bird seed, never mind a 70-pound front rest.

So as long as you've all decided to be sneaky & get around the original intent of the framers of the rule book, just let people replace those 100-pound pedestals with a couple C-clamps. Much cheaper than superfeet, and multi-purposing as well.

I think next we should mandate the use of bullets made of soft foam... This way stray shots don't wreck the backers or mirage boards.

Paul

I'll ask you the same question that I asked Wilbur. Built many benches? Most of the bench construction that I am aware of has been done by unpaid volunteers, as would any repairs. If I was paid by the hour for the time that I put into the benches that we built, and the other volunteers as well, there is no way that the club could never have afforded the project.
The little bit that a range gets from match fees, is a pittance. Like most organizations, shooting clubs exist because of the hard work of a very small fraction of the membership. Generally, the folks that have built, don't tear things up.

I think that sums it up perfectly Boyd.
I'm all for the new rule. I'd like to see it implemented everywhere. But then, my papa taught me to take good care of my things and take better care of things that belong to someone else...............seems there's some folks out there that can't grasp that idea. That is sad.

Back