making .30 118/124gr bullets on 1" J4 - ram stroke at core seating ??

Just speculation but I believe he's working on a mechanical device other than a press to seat cores.

Somewhere, I've got some pics of some strange bullet swage contraptions built by Ferris Pendell, featuring all sorts of gauges and dial indicators in various positions . . . measuring deflection, pressure, who knows what - maybe I can dig them up - they sure don't resemble anything we use these days! :eek::cool:RG

That slick little ram assembly Javier Bardem carried in "No Country For Old Men had about a 1" stroke......

Pneumatic slaughter gun / stun gun used in slaughter-houses. But 1" stroke for a 1" jacket is a tad on the long side ...

I wouldn't be so sure about that....

Process control does not come from "feels".

Ask Motorola and 6Sigma. If a process result is not in line with the measurement of a process variable change, then the choosen variable most probably is not the right one.

process control does not come from "feels".

Ask motorola and 6sigma. If a process result is not in line with the measurement of a process variable change, then the choosen variable most probably is not the right one.
you have a long way to go good luck

Process control does not come from "feels".

Ask Motorola and 6Sigma. If a process result is not in line with the measurement of a process variable change, then the choosen variable most probably is not the right one.

Since I am a machinist by trade, I trust measurements.

In my short stint in making my own 30 caliber bullets, the single most important measurement for me is the diameter of the jacket after it comes out of the core seating die. It just so happens that by using Randy’s method by way of George gives the diameter it’s supposed to be.

Since I am a machinist by trade, I trust measurements.

In my short stint in making my own 30 caliber bullets, the single most important measurement for me is the diameter of the jacket after it comes out of the core seating die. It just so happens that by using Randy’s method by way of George gives the diameter it’s supposed to be.

I agree with measurements - they are precise and lead to repeatably uniform finished bullet dimensions. The "human element" - tactile judgement - is what separates a custom bullet from machine/mass produced bullets: we can sort by "feel", and segregate an odd feeling bullet from it's siblings.;)
I do not believe machines possess this ability - while they may be capable of determining - in no particular order - pressure, stroke, speed, dwell, etc., they can't yet, connect to, "that felt funny" . . . then, despite, "measuring up", to both visual and micrometer inspections, get tossed into the fire-form bin . . . because they, "just didn't feel right".:D Humans still rule - we made the contraptions to work for us!:cool:RG

since i am a machinist by trade, i trust measurements.

In my short stint in making my own 30 caliber bullets, the single most important measurement for me is the diameter of the jacket after it comes out of the core seating die. It just so happens that by using randy’s method by way of george gives the diameter it’s supposed to be.
i have proven coreseating from 2428 to 2445 pointed will shoot in zeros witnessed by c detsch on my range back in 70s SAME CORESEATER FOR 2433 POINTED BULLETS I WON NATLS WITH

Last edited:
the four things i want in core seating:

1) it comes off the punch
2) it swages up to the final dimension or within a ten-thousandths of final (ex - 0.3084")
3) small bleed line on the top edge
3) the jacket length shrinks. Ex - on a 0.925" .30 cal, they drop around 0.917".

-lee
www.singleactions.com
good joblee some yrs ago doc maretzo asked if he could exray some of my core seated jackets a time later he contacted me out of all the jackets he tested of bullet makers mine was the best he could not what was bing sold

Back