Lt32 ???

if you just tried doing what the old powder did, you missed the advantage of lt.
another 100 fps plus over h4198.
ASK LOU WHAT HE THINKS.

I Have 24 8lb containers of LT30, all the same lot, Lot 37 12.18.14, I didn't miss anything. I played around with it all this week. Faster velocity doesn't always mean better accuracy and in this particular barrel, N130 has always been more accurate than either H4198 or LT30.

Last edited:
Well it just goes to show ya.
Mine shot very well with h4198,
but shot better, faster with lt30.

I Have 24 8lb containers of LT30, all the same lot, Lot 37 12.18.14, I didn't miss anything. I played around with it all this week. Faster velocity doesn't always mean better accuracy and in this particular barrel, N130 has always been more accurate than either H4198 or LT30.

Silly question alert!!
Why would someone buy 192 lbs of a powder that they were not sold on? Inquiring minds want to know!?!?

Rick

it is very simple...
IF it works...you want a bunch of the same lot.
some people have the money.
Silly question alert!!
Why would someone buy 192 lbs of a powder that they were not sold on? Inquiring minds want to know!?!?

Rick

30 BR variables

I've noticed that the same load, powder combination doesn't always work when I go east. It maybe a elevation or humidity problem.
It also seem that a lot of east coast shooter have trouble out here as we do out there. Our humidity hovers around 5% to 12%. Often out there I feel like I'm underwater.

Silly question alert!!

Rick
Rick, CMaier is right. I always buy in excess just in case it works. That way I have the same lot. Same with bullets. I don't buy 1K at a time, it's usually 5K. The way I look at it if it works great, if it doesn't I can always sell it. I have a friend that I shoot with here in Maine named Jim Goody. He was SSOY three years in a row from 2000-2002. He had an in at Kaltrone Pettibone when they use to handle Vihtavuori and a few of my friends from Maryland would buy 400 lbs of N130 each. bet it was a lot cheaper back then. I just bought 93 lbs of N130 last year and they only sell that stuff now in 1lb containers at 32 bucks a pop. Same with the N120 that I have to order next week that I use in my 30 Gorilla. I have a ton of H4198 but I just like Vihtavouri powder.

Last edited:
Lt-30

I think that there is another way to explain the reason why LT-30 works better for some and not at all for others. All powders perform differently I believe based on location, example out west here VV-133 is a PITA to keep tuned as the day gets warmer, and back east where there is a lot of humidity, and different density altitudes VV-133 wasn't as difficult to keep tuned. In the west a lot of days start pretty cool and then heat up and the tune goes away quickly and that is why out here LT-30 has a better following. It works especially well in my PPC! The tune on my 30BR with 4198 is very good and I have not tried the LT-30 as much as I would like. To answer a question asked ealier, about blending LT-30 & LT-32 yes there are a handful of guys playing with blending, and it does shoot pretty dang good!

Jim
any chance you will be attending the east west shoot in st Louis in 2 weeks? I would consider buying some of your lt30. I have used LT 30 in my 6ppc with great results. one has to be careful though. to much LT30 and a little to much neck tension will destroy your brass. Lee

Jim
any chance you will be attending the east west shoot in st Louis in 2 weeks? I would consider buying some of your lt30. I have used LT 30 in my 6ppc with great results. one has to be careful though. to much LT30 and a little to much neck tension will destroy your brass. Lee
I only shoot IBS short range score matches on the east coast, so I wouldn't ever be shooting in St Louis.

Back