Lt 30

I just talked to midsouth and I do have 3lb of lt30 on the way. So I now just hope I get the right stuff. We will see. Lee

LT 30
From what I was told, they're taking orders now.
They have plenty of the powder there ready to ship.
It's the only Powder I've shot in the 30 BR after doing all the testing.
I've also used it in 6 PPC, 22 PPC short ppc by itself and also blend it with LT 32 and the other 8208 .
I can tell you it's going to have as big as impact score shooting as LT 32 has a had in short range group shooting.

Lou, I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the charge range for a 30BR is ~36 - 37 gr.

What is the range for loading a 6PPC?

I picked up 3 lbs at Mid-South (no 8# jugs were available) and intend to try it in my 30BR Wed. 1-28,
weather permitting.

thanks,
Larry

Lou, I believe you mentioned in a previous post that the charge range for a 30BR is ~36 - 37 gr.

What is the range for loading a 6PPC?

I picked up 3 lbs at Mid-South (no 8# jugs were available) and intend to try it in my 30BR Wed. 1-28,
weather permitting.

thanks,
Larry

Was the 30br charge that high? I'm thinking that might be incorrect. Certainly, Larry, no disrespect intended, but isn't the lt-30 suppose to be slightly faster than h4198. If so, 36-37 grains may be too hot.
I'm very open to correction, here. My only reason for making this reply is to prevent someone from reading it and finding out the hard way, that 36-36 grains may well be too hot.

If that charge weight is correct, then it's either giving more speed w/o pressure than h4198, or it's not any faster burn rate wise, than h4198.

That charge sounds about right for lt-32, to me. Again, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Last edited:
Was the 30br charge that high? I'm thinking that might be incorrect. Certainly, Larry, no disrespect intended, but isn't the lt-30 suppose to be slightly faster than h4198. If so, 36-37 grains may be too hot.
I'm very open to correction, here. My only reason for making this reply is to prevent someone from reading it and finding out the hard way, that 36-36 grains may well be too hot.

If that charge weight is correct, then it's either giving more speed w/o pressure than h4198, or it's not any faster burn rate wise, than h4198.

That charge sounds about right for lt-32, to me. Again, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Based upon recollection - possibly faulty - of the DATA which Lou showed me during the NBRSA SCore Nationals, at Casper, WY last August, I believe that the RED text above is correct - I believe Lou advised that this powder was formulated to provide ideal bulk/density and burn rate for the 30 BR capacity and expansion ratio. :eek::cool: I am certain that, if this is incorrect, Lou will let us know.

Lou's DATA indicated MVs in the 3200 FPS vicinity, with very contemporary working PSI - in short,, if Western Powders / Accurate delivers, this may well open a whole new world of 30 BR mania! :p;) RG

Lou's DATA indicated MVs in the 3200 FPS vicinity, with very contemporary working PSI - in short,, if Western Powders / Accurate delivers, this may well open a whole new world of 30 BR mania! RG

Don't say that Randy. UBR will be coming out with another caliber neutral target for the .30BR

Thank you Randy!

Wow Francis! Try some salve on that chapped orifice.:D

Lou's DATA indicated MVs in the 3200 FPS vicinity, with very contemporary working PSI - in short,, if Western Powders / Accurate delivers, this may well open a whole new world of 30 BR mania! RG

Don't say that Randy. UBR will be coming out with another caliber neutral target for the .30BR

All UBR targets are created equal, but.........some may be more equal than others ;)

Rick

LT-30 and 30BR charge weight ranges.

Mike,

Here's a copy of one of Lou's posts re: LT-30 and 30BR charge wts. This is the post I was referring to. Not saying a person should start off at that level. I think Lou's post was on a different thread. thanks, Larry

11-06-2014, 10:04 PM#9
Lou Murdica

im shooting in my br with Berger 115. 36 to 37 gr. 37 fills the case and is going 3220.

Last edited:
Mike,

Here's a copy of one of Lou's posts re: LT-30 and 30BR charge wts. This is the post I was referring to. Not saying a person should start off at that level. I think Lou's post was on a different thread. thanks, Larry

Lou Murdica

im shooting in my br with Berger 115. 36 to 37 gr. 37 fills the case and is going 3220.

Thanks Larry. Looks like it's more dense and the burn rate is faster, too, as well as being able to reach speeds that would likely give too much pressure with h4198. I don't know how we can determine that for sure, as I don't think the case will hold 37gr of 4198.

Mike,

Lou Murdica

Good info, Laver. :D By comparison, I have used, with match winning success, 37. 2 Gr. of H-322(Extreme), which, at the same volume setting throws 34.8 Gr. of H-4198: the MV for the 322 load is about 2920 FPS, while the H-4198 load usually delivers about 3020-3040 FPS.

By reason, the Accurate Lt-30 , should have both the correct density AND burn-rate for the BR capacity and thirty caliber expansion ratio - the BETA Lot did. :cool:

I am happy to have had my memory work reasonably well for a change! :p;) Lou had/has done a fair amount of testing, including pressure testing, which most of us can only "guestimate". TIA for your contributions, Lou Murdica! :D Now, it'll be up to the barrels to show where the chips land! RG

Last edited:
I wonder how a 6mm Beggs would like this LT30 powder?

Was using H4198 with the 6 Beggs barrel Gene put on my LV gun. Right now I've got a 6 PPC barrel on it However, I've got another 6 PPC waiting for me to put a scope on it, so I might just but the 6 Beggs back on the LV if I ever get my hands on some LT 30.

Been shooting LT-32 in my 6 BR with good results. If I can get some 30 however, it would be interesting to compare the two side-by-side. But regardless of how it does in the 6's, it sure looks like the ticket for the 30's.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Mr Wass. I shot some LT 30 today.

Pete. I told you that when I got to load some LT30 that I would let you know what went on. I didn't have too much time to shoot Dean's old 30Br that I bought off him as I was ringing out my 30 Gorilla with some VVN120. At least the weather was nice for one day in this God forsaken place, but it was very windy. It's always windy up here on this little mountain. Took out my 35P and shot three 3 shot groups. They were all in the mid ones. Nothing to write home about. I was really interested in the speed. 36 grains gave me an average of 3045. I can do that with 35.7 of N130 or 34.4 with certain lots of H4198 that I have. Tried 35.7 gave me an average of 3028, same mid ones results. Seems to me that the pre-production LT30 was a lot more potent than the final production stuff. I talked to a friend in PA and one in MD who have tried it and they have come up with similar numbers as me. We all have the same lot #'s 12-18-14 with 37 on top of date. I was using 116 Eubers for pills. My barrel on this particular rifle was a 22 inch 17 twist Lilja 3 groove with 921 rounds thru it. like I said I wish I could have spent more time with this rifle but I put back the one piece scope base that Sid made for it so that I could just slide any of the other scopes that I have on it, and I just wanted to get it sighted in before I took it to a match. Mike Ezell, thanks for the info on the N120.

Last edited:
Pete. I told you that when I got to load some LT30 that I would let you know what went on. I didn't have too much time to shoot Dean's old 30Br that I bought off him as I was ringing out my 30 Gorilla with some VVN120. At least the weather was nice for one day in this God forsaken place, but it was very windy. It's always windy up here on this little mountain. Took out my 35P and shot three 3 shot groups. They were all in the mid ones. Nothing to write home about. I was really interested in the speed. 36 grains gave me an average of 3045. I can do that with 35.7 of N130 or 34.4 with certain lots of H4198 that I have. Tried 35.7 gave me an average of 3028, same mid ones results. Seems to me that the pre-production LT30 was a lot more potent than the final production stuff. I talked to a friend in PA and one in MD who have tried it and they have come up with similar numbers as me. We all have the same lot #'s 12-18-14 with 37 on top of date. I was using 116 Eubers for pills. My barrel on this particular rifle was a 22 inch Lilja 3 groove with 921 rounds thru it. like I said I wish I could have spent more time with this rifle but I put back the one piece scope base that Sid made for it so that I could just slide any of the other scopes that I have on it, and I just wanted to get it sighted in before I took it to a match. Mike Ezell, thanks for the info on the N120.
You're welcome. So, how'd the n120 do?

N120 was very impressive

You're welcome. So, how'd the n120 do?

Good. Got off to a late start, plus I shoot down my driveway and at the 55 yard mark, the driveway takes a sharp right and my range goes straight another 45 yards to a high berm. Well there is still 2 feet of snow that I have to go thru to set up my target, plus just before the berm there is a brook that I have to cross and it was a pain just setting up the target. I started off with 30.5 averaged 2930. Powder puff load but largest 3 shot group out of 4 was .101. Next shot 31.0 grains and it averaged 2967. Groups opened up a little to .124. Last loads I shot were 31.3 grains and it avg 2990. Groups avg .121. The powder was very consistent. Couldn't believe the numbers on the 35P. Biggest spread for all groups was 10 FPS. Worst SD was 5. The only other cartridge that I had numbers like that was my 300WSM. Told you that I was going to use Bib 112's, ended up using Bart's 112's. Temps here were right around 55 degrees at 36% humidity. Windy as hell though. I live up on the side of a small mountain and it's always windy up here.

Last edited:
Pag

Windy as hell and you are able to shoot everything in the low 1's. I wish I could shoot that well. I have no doubt you will win every match you attend this year.

I will have 8 pounds of LT-30 by Saturday. I will be able to test it Sunday. I will let everybody know how it does in my 30BR, which is a pretty decent shooting Rifle.

Last edited:
Back