Lowell Hottenstein... Your Prayers Needed Now!

an extraordinary man

Lowell was a millwright which is a profession of a true Renaissance man. The people in this profession set up factories, install and repair machines large and small and are a combination of mechanical engineer, building super, designer, tradesman, electrician, machinist and someone who probably does brain surgery on the side. I once asked Lowe what he did where he worked and he said, truthfully, everything. Besides this Lowe was a good man. He took in a child and raised her as his own when her parents were not able to. This is a noble and not easy task. It requires a lot of time and sacrifice for years. Yet he did not advertise this act. He just did it. Wow! That is a very high bar he set.
In answer to a readers question pancreatic cancer is a vicious disease with a 5 year survival rate of 4.6%. Usually it only shows itself after it has spread and treatment is hospice. I am sure Lowell faced his death as he faced his life with grace and nobility. We all could hope to do as well. He is an inspiration to me and I grieve that we have lost such a man. Tim

I was honored two summers ago at Isabella to carry all of Lowell's equipment to the bench. He showed up with his wife and Steve Robbins introduced them to me. I am honored to have helped Lowell and to have met him and his wife.

Matt

Tim and Matt. Thanks for sharing.

Lowell said he worked at GM Powertrain. Dominic Grunis worked there also.
Lowell worked the afternoon shift. Had his own shop and crew. He was quite proud that his Supervisor only had to visit his shop 3 times in 20 yrs.
Lowell was in charge of taking care of the "assembly line chain". That was the nickname for the main equipment/machinery on the line. I think, I remember the story correctly. It was nice to talk shop. I was an Electrician.
It also sounded like he got called on to do other jobs or he volunteered.
He told me some stuff about Viet Nam. He was a tunnel rat. Flashlight and a Colt 45. I remember he said he was the smallest guy. 5'8" 150 lbs.
I guess, he liked to travel then. He was in Cambodia and maybe Laos......

My favorite story is. He showed me how to make bullets. Then he asked "Well, what do ya think?" I said this is all really cool. Thanks. He said, "No. what do you think about making bullets?" I said oh it looks pretty easy and stuff. Lowell says "Good because I am not selling you anymore."
Wow! That was a shock. He looks at me with his big smile. And says you can call anytime. I will help you out. No worries.....There were a lot of phone calls and talking at the range.

I don't think, I ever heard a cuss word out of Lowell. One time at WWCCA. The last match on Sunday. I was talking to Krupa. And the ground shakes. I said to Joe what the hell is that. I thought an earthquake. Joe says that might be Lowell. He thought he missed the 2 gun on the last target. He had lost his temper. And banged on the bench. 10-12' away you could feel it. He comes around the corner and apologizes to everyone. A little mad. He could track of his Agg. and thought the last was too big. Looks down to think. looks up with his big smile.
Nope. He won Joe was 2nd.
Tim B.

So Sorry...

I just heard the news. I didn't know Lowell sick.
Jo Ann and I send our sympathy to Barb, Ken, and family.
He was Truely a Good Man.
Ron & Jo Ann

Back