Lothar Walther 12 groove, slow twist & regular twist polygon barrels

Lucky there Dave they usually blow at 3400 to 3550psi.

Still to figure current Lothar Walther made barrel out spec for another manufacturer. Usually I don't clean until see a flyer which is around the 800 pellet region. Then just a case of 2 VFG felts through and three shots, back to normal. Do run dry no lube.

Last rifle if cleaned the barrel it took 130 shots and still dire. 1000+ it started showing signs, keep it going 10,000 it just got better and better close on to 50k shots. Most people would have changed the barrel after 200 shots you have to go way way past the point of no return. Could glance at the dark grey feeding a pellet in, that bad to look at who cares if better. Pellets were lubed.
No other barrel or rifle ever had in 26 years responded well to cleaning barrel.

Jonny H

What barrel are you shooting, that doesn't require constant cleaning?
Can't be a poly?
My Steyr hardly ever gets a cleaning, shoots spot on through literally 100s of pellets without an errant shot.
Most my other air rifles have Standard LW cut rifled or button rifled barrels - no cleanings --
Even a hammer forged BSA-
This is a first for me---
I shoot firearms that get a swabbing after a few rounds - in a match -
But nothing like this
I'd love to hear from more people with poly's -
CK

Jonnyh; Could glance at the dark grey feeding a pellet in said:
Jonnyh, Could you tell what you mean in the quote above?

Can you post three consecutive 25 shot 25 m outdoor cards, 75 shots + sighters, that show no fliers/outliers for me to see what you consider as acceptable deviation from the X before you consider a shot as a flier. Shot with one of your rifles that has already shot more than a few hundred shots since cleaning.

Regards, Harry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steyr have used many different barrels since the early LG100 its hard to keep up. Think the newer ones 2014 onwards (two types) need cleaning often, early ones as the barley twist LG100 2001 don't require cleaning.

Current barrel bog standard P800 10M made by Lothar Walther to Fens spec. Can post a group at 51 yards with at least 1500 through 8mm edge to edge, 4 of which within 5mm.

Different rifle and not me have two A3 cards sent in by a customer shot at 80 and 100 yards in February won by the Dutch though first time out would have expected better, amounts to total group size 1 1/2" barrels not cleaned.

Aside put two VFG felts through today, first shot pretty good, second went adrift, third a little better and started to sing from fourth onwards.
Some thing have always found when trying other pellets, first shot ok, second goes adrift along with third being a little better, fourth onwards gives the on going status.

Lothar Walther Barrel Update

Since getting a Thomas BR Rifle I've had a chance to test several 12 Groove and Polygon .177 LW barrels from the dozen blanks I purchased directly from LW. I've really want a Polygon barrel to work for LV benchrest; I machined 2 more polygon blanks to compare with the polygon barrel that came with my Thomas; I thought I found a good LV polygon only to find one of new new 12 groove barrels greatly superior.

The big deal is that polygon barrels are reported as not needing cleaning for many cards and better accuracy in the wind. It would be great to have a barrel with excellent accuracy without cleaning for several matches. A couple of us locals have been testing polygons and 12 groove barrels indoors for LV. So far, we are staying with 12 groove barrels as none of our polygons have delivered higher scores and" X" counts than our 12 groove barrels.

My current 12 groove LV Lothar Walther is doing well with an average of 15-16 X without cleaning between cards; this barrel was polished inside in an experiment to see if cleaning intervals can be extended with a smoother bore. Preliminary results are encouraging. I also polished the bore of a polygon barrel for my LV rifle and it delivered very erratic results.

I've also installed a polished bore standard twist polygon barrel in my HV rifle; shooting Monsters at 810 fps like everyone else, this barrel delivers excellent accuracy. I don't have enough cards on this barrel without cleaning to comment on yet.

All of my LV and HV barrels have a standard twist rate; I'm reserving my special order slow twist polygon barrels for Open class guns.

Boomer

Last edited:
Mike thanks very much for sharing your test results.

What were your findings in accuracy in windy conditions for 12 groove vs polygon?

Kim

I haven't tried a LV poly outside yet.

I haven't found a LV polygon barrel and pellet combination that will stay inside the 9 ring consistently indoors, when I find one that will do that I'll try it outside.

I know the poly is reported to be less sensitive to elevation deviation in wind. So far, I haven't experienced any difference in elevation deviation between poly and 12 groove barrels in HV; however, I don't read wind conditions well.

Boomer

great "to know" info

My BM500x will be ready in the next weeks, ill post results too, stocked on patches. thanks everyone for post info here.

Ken

My BM500x will be ready in the next weeks, ill post results too, stocked on patches. thanks everyone for post info here.

Ken

well ive had my BM500 for a couple weeks, i gave the barrel a good cleaning before the scope was even mounted. Zero'd the 8-32 Mueller and prceded toindex the barrel. It made a beautiful 1.75 circle @ 25m. I've shot about 2 tins of pellets and yet have done anything but a few cleaning pellets between cards, has'nt scored lower than a 245 and that was the first card. all others has been 247-250 cards. Probably at 1000 pellets now and haven't seen a need to shove anything done the barrel. Every gun is differant along with the nut behind the trigger.

Ken

My source says that poly barrels don't show any advantage using 8.4 gr JSBs at 12 fpe levels. They perform best at 20 fpe levels using JSB Monsters. I'm sticking with my standard LW barrel in my HM1000.

My source says that poly barrels don't show any advantage using 8.4 gr JSBs at 12 fpe levels. They perform best at 20 fpe levels using JSB Monsters. I'm sticking with my standard LW barrel in my HM1000.

we must have same source.....

12 Groove/Polygon Update

My polished bore 12 groove LV and Polygon HV barrels are easy to clean and make it through a three card match nicely. I pull a single dry patch through the barrels after each card and they have delivered consistent results. I clean them using 2 patches with solvent (same patch turned around) followed with three dry patches pulled through the bore. The 12 groove LV barrel needs 12-15 shots to return to normal after cleaning and the Polygon HV barrel is good after 5-6 shots. Both barrels shoot slower after cleaning and return to their normal velocity after the number of fouling shots noted.

I'm confident the Polygon barrel doesn't need cleaning as often; however, I don't like to put a gun away with a dirty barrel. I'm satisfied with my routine and confident that my guns will be at their best potential at the beginning of each shooting session.

Have fun,
Boomer

Back