Looking to get into 22lr shooting

Thanks. I was thinking the same brand, like Center-X, for instance.

How about a recommendation for a new-to-me "custom" rimfire benchrest rifle in the $2000-$2500 cost area. If the seller says the rifle prefers Eley Match for instance, but has no lot info, would I be best served getting 4-5 different lots of Eley Match and testing those? Or would it be better to do something else.....in other words, basically start from scratch ammo testing. Such as getting several boxes of "match" ammo and testing those against each other (like Midas, Center-X, Fed. Prem Match 922a, Eley Match, etc, etc)?

Please consider my goals if you kindly provide some advice. I will probably never complete, although I do keep meticulous notes on my own performance. I use a Sinclair rest and bags, shooting at 50 yds at an outdoor range. I am currently shooting 5 shot groups around .3-.4 inches with an elderly Anschutz stock 1903 equipped with a 36x scope. My ammo has been in the $8-$12 range per 50 rounds. I realize I will have to spend more money to get better ammo and hopefully better accuracy.

Thanks!

Everybody has their own idea, as you will in time. Try it all...and keep trying it all. If you find something that will shoot try to buy as much as you can. When it's gone you have to start all over!

That said, if you're not going to compete, how will you know?

How about a recommendation for a new-to-me "custom" rimfire benchrest rifle in the $2000-$2500 cost area. If the seller says the rifle prefers Eley Match for instance, but has no lot info, would I be best served getting 4-5 different lots of Eley Match and testing those? Or would it be better to do something else.....in other words, basically start from scratch ammo testing. Such as getting several boxes of "match" ammo and testing those against each other (like Midas, Center-X, Fed. Prem Match 922a, Eley Match, etc, etc)?

Please consider my goals if you kindly provide some advice. I will probably never complete, although I do keep meticulous notes on my own performance. I use a Sinclair rest and bags, shooting at 50 yds at an outdoor range. I am currently shooting 5 shot groups around .3-.4 inches with an elderly Anschutz stock 1903 equipped with a 36x scope. My ammo has been in the $8-$12 range per 50 rounds. I realize I will have to spend more money to get better ammo and hopefully better accuracy.

Thanks!

Paper Sniper,
Its ok that you may never compete but you should consider attending either some local IR50 or ARA matches. Or better yet the upcoming Triple Crown in Bristol VA. It is the week leading up to & including Memorial Day weekend. Weds. on I think. The reason I recommend it is because you'll not run into more folks to talk with & a fairly large amount of used rifles for sale. In fact, there isn't anything that you cant find there. Rifles, ammo, rests, flags, & on & on. There will be vendors, gunsmiths, seminars, & the nations top shooters at the event.
Most all will allow you to test the rifle with likely their equipment & ammo. You want to test the rifle before you go shelling out that kind of dough. Or at least know the rifles pedigree.
As far as the ammo search goes its just that. You'll need to test several lots & brands of ammo to see which works best.
But please, do yourself a favor & attend a match. You'll learn more there than on an internet forum.
Keith

Last edited:
Paper Sniper,
Its ok that you may never compete but you should consider attending either some local IR50 or ARA matches. Or better yet the upcoming Triple Crown in Bristol VA. It is the week leading up to & including Memorial Day weekend. Weds. on I think. The reason I recommend it is because you'll not run into more folks to talk with & a fairly large amount of used rifles for sale. In fact, there isn't anything that you cant find there. Rifles, ammo, rests, flags, & on & on. There will be vendors, gunsmiths, seminars, & the nations top shooters at the event.
Most all will allow you to test the rifle with likely their equipment & ammo. You want to test the rifle before you go shelling out that kind of dough. Or at least know the rifles pedigree.
As far as the ammo search goes its just that. You'll need to test several lots & brands of ammo to see which works best.
But please, do yourself a favor & attend a match. You'll learn more there than on an internet forum.
Keith

Believe me, that is on my bucket list! I think my local range has those, but I have never taken the time to attend just to watch, ask questions and learn. Thanks for the reminder that I need to do that.

Back