Looking for chambering tutorial

Fergus Bailey

I have been looking online, and have found a range of DVDs available that purport to demonstrate barrel chambering to a high standard of accuracy. Can anyone recommend one in particular? Ideally I’d like to find one or two tutorials that people experienced in chambering barrels for BR feel are worthwhile.

IF YOU DO A SEARCH ON THIS FORUM...you should eventually find a thread by jackie schmidt....

mike in co

I have been looking online, and have found a range of DVDs available that purport to demonstrate barrel chambering to a high standard of accuracy. Can anyone recommend one in particular? Ideally I’d like to find one or two tutorials that people experienced in chambering barrels for BR feel are worthwhile.

I have a 131 page pdf file compiled from numerous postings on this forum over the past several years, regarding chambering barrels, with several images. PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. Keith

There are some videos about chambering on YouTube but most are so fragmented or incomplete you would just about have to be a chambering expert to benefit from them.

"Jackie chambering a Barrel (Pictures) "

do a search on "headstock"

Bob also has a 2 CD set on rebarreling a rem 700... very nicely done.

I have a 131 page pdf file compiled from numerous postings on this forum over the past several years, regarding chambering barrels, with several images. PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. Keith

Thanks for the offer. I found that on line some time back when you and others were discussing it on this forum. Its good reading, but I am looking for a visual how-to as I think seeing it done will add to what I have been reading

Gordy Gritter sells a Video on Chambering. I bought one some time back. He seems to have a connection with Grizzley Lathes. His video is pretty good.

There isn't a lot to chambering when one thinks about it, if they know how to run a lathe. One tip a friend gave me, which I will use is to cut the tenon threads backward. That is to say, turn the threading tool upside down and run the lathe in reverse, that-a-way the tool will feed away ftrom the shoulder. Works fine, I have tried it on a couple of practice tenon. It looks to me that cutting and threading an accurate tenon without messing up the shoulder is the toughest part to it. There are DETAILS though that need to be paid attention to; measuring being one of them and knowing what measurements to work to. I haven't actually done a barrel myself but have been present when one of mine was done and have watched several of the videos. Lets face it, a lot of people who are not Profesional Machinists are able to chamber good barrels so it isn't that tough to do. It does require knowing something about the process, however.

the difference in chambering a bbl and chambering a bbl WELL is in the details.
there seem to be three schools fo chambering.
one : mass production
two : gordy gritter/indicator rod
three : long reach indicator at the throat(jackie schmidt style)

i use the long reach indicator, but each to thier own
mike in co

Back