Look What Came To My Shop Today!!

Jackie, is that a Delrin bolt shroud? -Al

Yes, Al.

Gene Bukys made those years ago for our Farley Actions back in the Mid 2000’s.

He used a graphite empregnated material, it might have been Delrin.

It’s amazing how durable they have been. I have one on this Rifle and my 30BR VFS Rifle since then, each has fired thousands of rounds. Both are still in as new condition.

Looks really great Jackie waiting on one myself will be interesting to hear results of shooting 80 grain Barts in PPC!

Fred Martin

Fred, I am trying this in my LV because the combo shoots really well in my HV.

Today did not go that well. I spent the better part trying different loads and different tuner settings just to get the thing from tossing shots. It would put 4 in a dot, but invariably ruin things with a tossed shot.

Sometimes it would be the first shot, sometimes the fifth or in between.

I shot my HV before leaving, and it shot great.

I have a feeling this barrel is about a .280 barrel at best. That’s not going to cut it.

Fred, I am trying this in my LV because the combo shoots really well in my HV.

Today did not go that well. I spent the better part trying different loads and different tuner settings just to get the thing from tossing shots. It would put 4 in a dot, but invariably ruin things with a tossed shot.

Sometimes it would be the first shot, sometimes the fifth or in between.

I shot my HV before leaving, and it shot great.

I have a feeling this barrel is about a .280 barrel at best. That’s not going to cut it.

Jackie I have some experience with same bullets in 6mm grinch was shooting like a laser first match but have had mixed results since kind of like you described but haven't worked with it a whole lot! Will keep trying to get it back!

Jackie I have some experience with same bullets in 6mm grinch was shooting like a laser first match but have had mixed results since kind of like you described but haven't worked with it a whole lot! Will keep trying to get it back!

I'm shooting 80's in a 6 Grendel and love it. I've got 4 barrels for it and another new blank came on Monday. Gonna be the same.
Benchmark had looked like THE powder until I ordered a bunch more of it. It was nothing like the previous lots that shot so well. Way, way, wayyyy slower.

The lt powders can work well. I played with some blends and the equivalent of lt31.5 shot very well, gave good speed, and good fill. N135 is very good too. I've played with several and most all have had good potential but some just shine over the others a bit.

I'm shooting 80's in a 6 Grendel and love it. I've got 4 barrels for it and another new blank came on Monday. Gonna be the same.
Benchmark had looked like THE powder until I ordered a bunch more of it. It was nothing like the previous lots that shot so well. Way, way, wayyyy slower.

The lt powders can work well. I played with some blends and the equivalent of lt31.5 shot very well, gave good speed, and good fill. N135 is very good too. I've played with several and most all have had good potential but some just shine over the others a bit.

The HV loves H4895. 30.6 guns gives around 3250 out of a 25 inch barrel. Accuracy is outstanding.

I also shoot the same bullet out of a BR with a 27 inch barrel, gives good accuracy at around 3500 fps with 4895. It's in my 17 pound Light Gun.

The HV loves H4895. 30.6 guns gives around 3250 out of a 25 inch barrel. Accuracy is outstanding.

I also shoot the same bullet out of a BR with a 27 inch barrel, gives good accuracy at around 3500 fps with 4895. It's in my 17 pound Light Gun.

I started to say that the 3250 is probably a bit slow but 3500 is smoking! I shoot mine at about 3300 from the grendel case. I can get to 3400 but brass life definitely suffers there with the powders I use.
I've shot some h4895 and it definitely is another good one.

I'm sworn to secrecy on what I'm using now, until after the Shamrock this weekend. I've been working with another guy shooting the same setup and he wanted me to keep it quiet for now. Lol! I'm sure you can figure it out with a little effort. It's not giving me quite the speed of the faster lots of BM but it shoots very well and the powder is very predictable so far. I hope he shoots well and I wish I could be there to beat him. ;)--Mike

Last edited:
I started to say that the 3250 is probably a bit slow but 3500 is smoking! I shoot mine at about 3300 from the grendel case. I can get to 3400 but brass life definitely suffers there with the powders I use.
I've shot some h4895 and it definitely is another good one.

I'm sworn to secrecy on what I'm using now, until after the match in Al. this weekend. I've been working with another guy shooting the same setup and he wanted me to keep it quiet for now. Lol! I'm sure you can figure it out with a little effort. It's not giving me quite the speed of the faster lots of BM but it shoots very well and the powder is very predictable so far. I hope he shoots well and I wish I could be there to beat him. ;)--Mike

Mike, the 3500 is out of a BR chamber. 35.2 grns of H4895. I did throat it to about .130.

Several weeks ago, a friend and I went up to Walker County and shot st 400 yards. He as shooting 105 Bart’s out of a BR-A at around 2950.

It seemed like the 80 grn Bart’s at 3500 handled the wind as good, if not a little better than the 105 at 2950. We were shooting over 5 flags set about 75 yards apart.

Mike, the 3500 is out of a BR chamber. 35.2 grns of H4895. I did throat it to about .130.

Several weeks ago, a friend and I went up to Walker County and shot st 400 yards. He as shooting 105 Bart’s out of a BR-A at around 2950.

It seemed like the 80 grn Bart’s at 3500 handled the wind as good, if not a little better than the 105 at 2950. We were shooting over 5 flags set about 75 yards apart.
That makes sense about the speed. Thanks for clarifying.
I hope you're right about the 80s at some distance. After looking at various ballistic reports, it's not far from the 105s, at say 3300 at 600. I plan to shoot at least one of those matches this year and I'm not gonna build a gun for a match or two. Hopefully conditions are good and I don't get caught.

Back