Long distance with a 22 rimfire

call it rainbow shooting

i got involved in something new at my local san angelo gun club range. It was benchrest shooting with a 22 rimfire at round steel targets on swingers at 50 yards, 100 yards, and 200 yards. The targets were smaller at 50 yards and were bigger at longer ranges. The 50 yard and 100 yard targets were fairly easy except for an 18- 20 mile per hour wind but the 6" target at 200 yards in that wind was something else. I had an accurate 22 rifle with a 36x weaver target scope and i was using eley match long rifle ammo. I hit the target two times out of the five shots and felt good about it. I was holding off to the right about 16" or so.

I had never tried to shoot a 22 at 200 yards and was somewhat surprised that it was shooting as well as it did in that wind. Well, a couple of days ago there was almost no wind at all so i tried the same thing with no wind. I found i could shoot 5 groups of 2" to 2-1/4". I had to raise the sites about 28 minutes from a zero at 50 yards. It was close to being maxed.

If you want to try long range shooting on a shorter range try this.

Has anyone else tried shooting at a target at 200 yards with a 22 long rifle?

Concho bill
bought my first 22 rimfire at 10 i shot wood chucks so far away you couldnt see themm till you walked up to em with open sights unbeleive but true . Bill brawand.

Super-X

well my super-x 22lr high velocity ammo says and I quote Caution: Dangerous within 1 1/2 miles. So shooting 200 yards should be easy!

old news. Us nra has an official smallbore target for 200 yard prone shooting, dimensions are under rule 4.13:
In the 1990s, i found 200 yard practice w/ a .22 rifle was good training for long range prone. (have not shot 200 yard smallbore in over 10 years, should probably restart doing it, as recent long range shooting performance is slipping badly.) note: Do not use cheap .22 ammo. From experience from the mid- to late 1990s, federal target ammo is the lowest end ammo type to use. Use anything less, and elevation spread is a serious score killer. More expensive ammo (i.e., federal 900b, 1000b, or eley tenex) holds slightly better elevation, but groups are rounder. (yeah, great compromise - save $20 in centerfire ammo costs by shooting $10/box rimfire ammo.)

200 yard smallbore shooting is not a popular competitive event in the us, mostly because of equipment limitations. Many scoped rifle shooters found they needed to hold off to hit the target, since their scope mounts ran out of elevation before reaching the setting for 200 yards. Iron sights are limited by elevation as well, though use of an adjustable front sight base helps considerably in this matter.

For more info on us nra smallbore shooting, an online copy of the rules is available at https://competitions.nra.org/media/7745/nra-smallbore-rifle-rules.pdf

hope this helps.
a great shooter phil sauer said he shot at his club asprins at hundred once week lot of fuin

When I was a kid

well my super-x 22lr high velocity ammo says and I quote Caution: Dangerous within 1 1/2 miles. So shooting 200 yards should be easy!

The boxes said range 1 mile. Wonder what has changed to have them now print 1 1/2 miles?

yes i have shot two matches at lincoln county rifle club for years. One is usually in feb at 100 yds, the other in march at 200 yd. The caliber, in a good rifle with ammo it likes and wind flags, is amazingly accurate depending on the wind. In the wind it is still accurate, but its the shooter who tends to falter. It's loads of fun and i always look forward to it. --greg
i shot the 22 rimfire matches on sundays met bunch nice shooters one was john amon i heard he passed away couldnt get enough interrest john amomns grand daughter was very good for young lady if anyone sees her tell her i said hi shes probly grown up and married.. Bill brawand.

What I really like is Pool Cue chalk at 200y. 5 red and 5 blue. 6PPC of course. No wind flags. 10 rounds only.

I remember a turkey shoot that we had many years ago, before we knew anything about safety, when we had 1/4 sticks of dinamite hanging on a wire at 100 yards. Shooters paid $1.00 a shot offhand for a chance at winning a turkey. There was no doubt when there was a hit and the club came out good.

i remember a turkey shoot that we had many years ago, before we knew anything about safety, when we had 1/4 sticks of dinamite hanging on a wire at 100 yards. Shooters paid $1.00 a shot offhand for a chance at winning a turkey. There was no doubt when there was a hit and the club came out good.
dyamite reminds before i was old enough to go to school my dad would tahe me with him to blowlarge stone he would it up with 50 sticks of dyamite and i would push plunger pretty young for dyamier

back when i was shooting with the state national guard service rifle team, we played around at 600yards with our 40x .22lr rifles. When we were able to get hits on the 6' square target frame, but the pit crew said the bullets were not penetrating and falling into the pits. Lots of hold over and kentucky windage.
when i was 10 and 12 my mother and me lay on our stomach and shoot beer botles floating down river. Lot fun 15 cents a box.

dynamite

Shot some dynamite with a swift one time. Blowed the sticks all to hell and it didnt go off. Capped it light the fuse and boom. Cant figger that out. Doug

That is what makes dynamite "safe". Needs a bigger shock wave than bullet can provide. Old Alfred new what he was doing.

[QUOTESOME YRS AGO I WAS GIVEN 10 22 RUGER ACTION BOUGHT 2 OZ SHILLOTE STOCK DOUGLAS BARREL SHOT FIRST 4 SHOTSHOLE NEVER OPENED UP NEVER SHOT THE FIFTH SAVED FOR OFFHAND SILO WI FIOCHI=GeneT;839684]I built a "500 yard .22". This came about after a week of camping where I managed to walk some rounds in on a 500 yard target by observing impacts and aiming progressively higher into the trees. I decided to see how good I could get (with the venerable Ruger 10/22 platform no less!) with a purpose-built rifle. The project cost a small fortune (which probably did not improve results much), and in the end there were no Ruger parts left in the rifle. I custom made scope mounts that held the scope high enough that you could have the rifle pointed at ~30* and still look over the barrel. Everything about the rifle was premium, the ammo only 'department store premium'. At the end of the day, in that same windless spot, I could expect 7-8 hits out of 10 shots on a USPSA target (just shy of 30" tall). Windage was pretty consistent but vertical used the entire target. No great accomplishment, but I think I found the limit of the .22 rimfire.

GsT[/QUOTE]

Back