Loading At The Range -- Question

Hunter

Chasin' the Sunset
From what I've seen, it seems that most range loaders resize and prime their brass between targets. I understand that they want to "load" at the range, but I wonder why they don't bring enough already-sized and primed brass to shoot all day, rather than resizing and priming during the day. It seems that not having to resize and prime at the range would save time and reduce the amount of stuff to carry. Can anyone share thoughts on this subject?

to be blunt

From what I've seen, it seems that most range loaders resize and prime their brass between targets. I understand that they want to "load" at the range, but I wonder why they don't bring enough already-sized and primed brass to shoot all day, rather than resizing and priming during the day. It seems that not having to resize and prime at the range would save time and reduce the amount of stuff to carry. Can anyone share thoughts on this subject?

Why in the world would you want to have that much brass prepped at one time. 20-25 pieces of brass will last at least a grand agg. And it does not add any significant time to size the brass. I have more to do with my time away from the range than prepping a cajillion pieces of brass. And during the match, I surely do not need to be schmoozing rather than reloading.

Sort cases

What is that.... LOL

Just think about it.

Maybe 200 rounds per 2 gun. they would need to be fire formed maybe 3 times to reach full capacity.

How many rounds is that down the barrel?

Basically pooched getting cases to full capacity.

25 cases is the way I do it. Last just about the length of the barrel or unless I have a REAL BAD shoot. Then they may get tossed, PRONTO.

can you imagine how many brass youd have to buy to get 100 sorted cases?

Whadaya mean "sorted cases"? Are you telling me that if I'd weight-sorted my cases I might have won the Super Shoot? :)

Assuming you weight-sort your cases, how small of increments do you sort? Also, do you weight-sort your bullets? Do you weigh your powder?

Whadaya mean "sorted cases"? Are you telling me that if I'd weight-sorted my cases I might have won the Super Shoot? :)

Assuming you weight-sort your cases, how small of increments do you sort? Also, do you weight-sort your bullets? Do you weigh your powder?

My cases weigh the same. And before you ask yes i do have a scale that can weigh them. I buy top quality bullets- i know their process so no need to weigh bullets. And ive been using the same measure for 17yrs- all i do is spot check on a gem scale. Yes sorted cases make a difference- ask anybody that wins. You throw a case that weighs 1/2gr different in a group of 10 and youll find it at the most inopportune time.

More Questions

I've heard/read of people taking two or three loads to the line and shooting a few shots of each load on the sighter target to determine which shoots best. Questions:

1. Is it typical to do the same for subsequent targets on the same day?

2. What do folks do with the loads that were rejected in the test(s)? Test 'em on a subsequent target (along with another one or two loads), use 'em as fowlers, or pull the bullets?

3. Assuming they don't test several loads on the subsequent targets, what typically dicates whether to stay with the previously-shot load or change?

4. Regarding 3 above, what typically dicates the change to be made?

#1- yes
#2- reload and test the next target
#3- test and keep testing
#4- powder charge/ type

I've heard/read of people taking two or three loads to the line and shooting a few shots of each load on the sighter target to determine which shoots best. Questions:

1. Is it typical to do the same for subsequent targets on the same day?

2. What do folks do with the loads that were rejected in the test(s)? Test 'em on a subsequent target (along with another one or two loads), use 'em as fowlers, or pull the bullets?

3. Assuming they don't test several loads on the subsequent targets, what typically dicates whether to stay with the previously-shot load or change?

4. Regarding 3 above, what typically dicates the change to be made?

Loading at the range- question

Don't laugh I know ONE shooter that comes pre loaded.

A pile of rounds ready to go Imagine, a lot of boxes of loaded ammo Plus reloading gear.

PS he wins when he comes. shoots tiny holes when he's not taking photos of birds.

Sorted Cases

My cases weigh the same. And before you ask yes i do have a scale that can weigh them. I buy top quality bullets- i know their process so no need to weigh bullets. And ive been using the same measure for 17yrs- all i do is spot check on a gem scale. Yes sorted cases make a difference- ask anybody that wins. You throw a case that weighs 1/2gr different in a group of 10 and youll find it at the most inopportune time.

Ok , Does Gene Bucky's, Bart Sauter or Tony Boyer sort their cases

I can't imagine why anyone...

would not buy weight-sorted cases from Ron. If your new cases are not sorted by weight you need to do so. Then you inevitably end up with a bell curve with the cases on either end being good only for set-up. If you get a 100 cases from Ron you can start with 100 cases, all of which you can go ahead and prep.

As for fire-forming a lot of cases... that's what last year's take-off barrels are for. For many years Dwight has done all my barrels and I will happily fire-form cases in one barrel that I will use in another. His chambers are that consistent. I happen to know that a young feller won the Super Shoot a few years back using cases, some of which he stole from his father when the old man wasn't looking... Dwight did all their barrels.

Dick Wright

Lots of opinions. Good stuff.
I do things contrary to most I guess. I do my own chambering with the same reamer for the last 3 years. I fire formed 300 cases ( not sorted in any way ) in October on my old rail gun barrel and will use these in all the matches, practice, barrel testing, etc, during the course of the year. I put them in plastic cases (3 cases total ) and size them as I go with 100 always ready in case of an emergency. The case sorting thing is pure ...... and no, Boyer does not sort (check the book, I even drew the distribution curve.)
Anyway, this is like religion or politics. If you believe.....no harm done either way.

The year Ed Hall won the Super Shoot he did it with preloads he assembles in Georgia (Alabama?) but don't count on that method being part of your winning strategy.

Pre weighed cases? Its your time at the scales, have at it if it makes you feel more confidence. IMO, confidence in your complete package is a requirement to winning.

As to pre weighed cases, I'd rather have all of a lot from the same box than pre weighed from a mixed lot. Saying that, I have bought pre turned cases from Ron Hoehn and they did their part as they should have. Its your dime!!!

EDIT- anyway listen to Costa, he's the guy who was the editor of Tony's book.

Do you sort cases before turning or after? Do you sort before of after doing the primer pocket? Do you sort again after trimming?:cool:

Later
Dave

Ed Hall did everything wrong. He preloaded in Dublin, Georgia on Robertson Drive, where he lived, after practicing and sighting in at Twin Oaks. He and Rusty Carr arrived at Kelbly Range, toured the facility, talked to people, and DID NOT sight in or practice. Oh horror of horrors, his preloads and his barrel were moly treated. I don't believe he won anything before or after that.

Back