Live and Learn, muzzlebrakes...

Yes, the idea was to be able to tune the rifle to factory ammo. As you know, reloaders generally do it the other way around.

Yeahhh, I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong :)

early American tombstone

Here lies the body if Ronald O'Shea
He died defending his right-of-way
He was right, dead right, and his will was strong
But he's just as dead as if he'd been dead wrong

Installed conventionally and correctly you will NEVER blow one off.

Of course, there is also bulging the front plate -- I once had a nice brake, made from scratch, and forgot to take it off when fireforming with COW. Don't do that.

BTW Al, I think you could tune with a clamshell. It would just be ugly (to some). Remember Lynn's test to Vibe's challenge? What am I missing?

Of course, there is also bulging the front plate -- I once had a nice brake, made from scratch, and forgot to take it off when fireforming with COW. Don't do that.

BTW Al, I think you could tune with a clamshell. It would just be ugly (to some). Remember Lynn's test to Vibe's challenge? What am I missing?

This is interesting because it illustrates something I believe to be true, that giving the exhaust gases some "room to run" makes the brakes more effective.

Energy builds as the square of the velocity.

Velocity of the gases contained behind the bullet is only about 3000fps whereas gases on their own achieve MUCH higher velocities. Let the gas "run" a little via an "expansion chamber" and they produce more catching force...... of course as Dave Tooley recently pointed out this is a two-edged sword. Let the gases pass the bullet and you may run into turbulence/disruption issues.

I've never pulled the trigger on a bulletless setup with a muzzle brake but I can imagine those free-running gases prolly tried to pull the gun out of your hands!

As far as vibe and Lynn's experiment, it must have been over on rimfire?? I didn't see it.

Link?

al

Well, maybe. I thougt it was because with nothing to hold it in place, COW starts spreading, like shot from a shotgun. So it hits that front plate if you have an expansion chamber. There is a lot of energy in COW at really close range -- I blew a hole through a Ford Crown Vic hubcap when I was fireforming in the garage at the old house. But maybe its just the gas velocity/pressure.

IIRC, I've also fireformed with a cotton ball, but always took the brake off. I'm not quite interested enough in the notion to maybe ruin another brake testing your theory...But if you are, I'd be interested in the results... ;-)

I looked awhile for the link where Lynn showed a picture of the tuner he made, and the results of testing, in responding to Vibe's test. After about five pages, I'd had enough. As Wilbur said,

Is either of you under the opinion that the other is suddenly going to agree?

Just go to Lynn's profile & spin though the 20 pages or so of "view recent posts." As you know, Lynn & I don't care for each other, and I have my limits.

Edit:

I do remember Dave Toloey's post on this, but wasn't sure what he meant. As Vaughn pointed out (chapter on "Muzzle Blast"), the gasses always overtake & pass the bullet. Nothing good happens then, either, but IIRC, Vaughn didn't have any solution -- or even any way to predict whether or not there would be a problem.

Last edited:
I made a 338 Lapua rifle for a friend of mine, he use it for long lange moosehunting. I made a brake for it that I think works pretty well. The first 3 slots in the brake is slightly angeld to direct gas back and the last slot is made 90 deg to the bore to make the shooting a bit more plesant, cuts the blast a bit.

View attachment 12447

Here´s a video of my buddie shooting 300 gr Scenars at 900 m/s v/0 prone. The rifle is heavy, about 7 kgs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrCs_rp1jac

There´s a guy saying something in swedish right at the start. Put your ermuffs on!:cool:

As far as vibe and Lynn's experiment, it must have been over on rimfire?? I didn't see it.

Link?

al

Not only on rimfire - it didn't even start on this site. Here's a link to the original positing - start on about page 2 though.

http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Foru...nsation-quot-vs-quot-Parallel-Node-quot/page2

I don't know if he took it seriously or not, but since Border Barrels also has a suppressor division - I suggested to Geoff Kolbe that a tunable suppressor would be interesting.

Last edited:
Tunable suppressor would REALLY be interesting! Too bad I live in Nuyorkistan. Kommisar no likee suppressors. I tried making a high power tuner out of some brass round stock, bored only a 3/8" hole, clamped the thing on with a 1/4" gap(expansion chamber?) at the muzzle. First shot launched it about 75 yds downrange. Duhhh, I guess I need a bigger hole, and less gap.......5/8" hole worked, but I didn't see any tuning effects with the threaded sleeve over the tuner in or out. With each mistake, I get a little bit smarter, but I'm getting older faster.....:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Al

You do understand that a brake also needs a hole in the end? Preferrably, one bigger than the bullet.

;) ;)

I do now. I learned that fact when I forgot to open the 1/4 inch hole in the brake to accommodate a .338 Win Mag bullet. The end of the brake is somewhere in my pond. :eek:

I have an AAC SCAR-H suppressor which has a MITER mount with triple pitch threads, and has indexing numbers 1-6, so you can start the can onto the threads at any one of the six positions. Not the same as a tuner, but it does allow the shooter to test to see if there's any accuracy advantage when the can is started onto the mount at one particular index position.

When I installed my first break John Pierce told me that when I was done to put the break on the rifle and place the range rod for the caliber in the muzzle end of the rifle and inspect to assure you have the same clearance all the way around the rod. Do this before you even take it out of the spider. This made sense so I do it on every muzzle break I install. To quote The Carpetbagger from Josey Whales "It only makes good sense to play it safe!"

Thanks John,

Paul

Back