Legality of selling a home finished action

Wanting opinions is it legal to sell a home finished centerfire action online and ship it to the buyers ffl is it legal it is a hall copy 30 br shoots great just dont need it anymore!

Thanks Fred

You should simply call the FFL holder suggested by the buyer and ask him, since he is the one who would be recording the transfer. Selling it online. Are you selling through a message board classified ad perchance?

You should simply call the FFL holder suggested by the buyer and ask him, since he is the one who would be recording the transfer. Selling it online. Are you selling through a message board classified ad perchance?

Do not have for sale yet just thinking about it/would like too!

My dad has been building actions for himself since the 80's. He researched the legality and to echo what has been said above:

1) You can manufacture a receiver for yourself. No serial number is required
2) If you want to transfer the receiver, you need a manufactuer's license. The action then would have to be serial numbered
3) The transfer would then go through the normal FFL channels.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, that sounds entirely too reasonable.:p

My dad has been building actions for himself since the 80's. He researched the legality and to echo what has been said above:

1) You can manufacture a receiver for yourself. No serial number is required
2) If you want to transfer the receiver, you need a manufactuer's license. The action then would have to be serial numbered
3) The transfer would then go through the normal FFL channels.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee not doubting your word but wondering if that manufacturer license requirement would change by state I know some who sold and shipped one to a ffl with no problems

Do not have for sale yet just thinking about it/would like too!

The purchaser may need to have a permit to purchase a handgun. Per the BATF it "could" be used to make a handgun so if it didn't leave the factory as a rifle then it's not a rifle. Found that out a couple years ago when I went to pick up an action and the guy says I need to see your permit to purchase a handgun.

Allot of firearms were sold at gun shows and not being registered coming in for sale or going out sold. Quite a few have also been handed down to the family and even friends over the years. Back when I was growing up there were cardboard barrels full of military surplus rifles for 25.00 at Sears and Roebucks. Most were home sporterized for hunting purposes and it was extremely popular at the time. Herters, Fajen and others catered to such things and then their was shotgun news where you could buy direct. None of these are traceable and they are out in the thousands. It was also my understanding they didn't even keep any records on long arms it was only handguns that were being kept at the time. The home crafted rifle I had is worth about 4800.00 + and per-say a prototype so possibly more. To add a serial number, name, address or anything else to it would just simply destroy its value. So it's sort of a catch 22 in regards to trying to sell it to someone else and why it back to the gentleman that I got it from.

at the Federal level

Allot of firearms were sold at gun shows and not being registered coming in for sale or going out sold. Quite a few have also been handed down to the family and even friends over the years. Back when I was growing up there were cardboard barrels full of military surplus rifles for 25.00 at Sears and Roebucks. Most were home sporterized for hunting purposes and it was extremely popular at the time. Herters, Fajen and others catered to such things and then their was shotgun news where you could buy direct. None of these are traceable and they are out in the thousands. It was also my understanding they didn't even keep any records on long arms it was only handguns that were being kept at the time. The home crafted rifle I had is worth about 4800.00 + and per-say a prototype so possibly more. To add a serial number, name, address or anything else to it would just simply destroy its value. So it's sort of a catch 22 in regards to trying to sell it to someone else and why it back to the gentleman that I got it from.

there is no gun registration, except for Class III arms.

Even if wanting to do the right thing its damn near impossible to fully understand all of the regs. and their actual meaning and that in itself is a catch 22. Just like poor General Flynn they could still find a way to make you a felon either way.

Even if wanting to do the right thing its damn near impossible to fully understand all of the regs. and their actual meaning and that in itself is a catch 22. Just like poor General Flynn they could still find a way to make you a felon either way.

Yes you got that right!

Back