Lathes

Grizzly 0509

Kent's precision series of lathes are made in Taiwan. Their economy lathes are made in China. The TRL1340V that I have has a net weight of 2200 pounds. I think that the Grizzly G9730 is what Mickey Coleman uses. He uses one of their toolroom lathes, but am not sure on the swing dimension. The G0509G lathe has a 12" 4 jaw chuck. When you change chucks with it, a 12" chuck is going to be heavy. It may be heavier than most would want to lift. Of course, you can always build something to swing it away.
I've written here before about the 0509. I have had it up and running for 15 months now..I use it everyday. I could not be happier. I also have a 14X40 Jet which I've had for 20 years.. trouble free machine, but certainly not in the same league with the G0509. The 0509 is very accurate, cuts beautiful threads and a complete pleasure to operate.Very smooth..You are right about the chuck..it's very heavy, but I only had to mount it once...I don't use anything but a 4 jaw...I am a pistolsmith, but have done several rifles on it.. I do a lot of 22 barrel liners. 7 inch by .312 OD ..With care, between centers, they can be held perfect end to end on the big Grizzly.

Jerry

William,
I bought a new Sharp 1340 VS a few years back and have been generally pleased with it. It was at the higher end of the comparable Taiwanese machines. I use it weekly for all of my chambering work.
-Len

Back