Laser Iridotomy

Chism G

Went in for an eye exam. I try to remember to go every two years. I wear glasses. I don't have cataracts or Glaucoma,vision is 20/20 in one eye and 20/20-1 in the other. My Doctor stated that I was at risk for developing angle closure glaucoma. He recommended Laser Iridotomy surgery as a preventive measure. I am 73 years old and in pretty good health.

Have any of you guys had this surgery and what was the outcome?

Glenn

If you can do it later, with success, I don't think I would do it now. I confess that I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems that you can see pretty good and the ailment is just a risk....and you're 73.

If you can do it later, with success, I don't think I would do it now. I confess that I don't know what I'm talking about but it seems that you can see pretty good and the ailment is just a risk....and you're 73.

Do it as soon as practical, the clock is ticking. It may never progress but if it does......you're screwed. I went in for my annual checkup and was told I have narrow angles, something I had never heard of, and it was offputting.
Went home and did a fair amount of research, all pointing to the same conclusion. My first laser treatment is in two weeks. It is a few minutes in the office and very low risk.
Don't know how comforting your doc is but mine is a no nonsense guy and stated that while the risk is not high, if it happens, it's acute glaucoma, permanantly.

Last edited:
Thanks Wilbur,Gene and Tim

When I was told that I was “at risk” to Angle Closure glaucoma and that it could develop suddenly without warning,I went ahead and scheduled the surgery for next week. (I may get a second opinion) As the Doctor explained ,the consequences of a sudden attack is permanent vision damage caused by Glaucoma. The condition could also develop over a period of time with few or no symptoms.

I am not ready to gamble with my eye sight. IMO, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. As Tim Explains.

There are some risks/ side effects from any surgery,including Laser Iridotomy. I was hoping that the some of the people that visit this site who has had Laser Iridotomy, could share their post operative experiences.

Glenn

My guy was very frank with me regarding issues. The laser treatment has become so mainstream, I got the impression the surgery is rarely if ever done. The only after effect is blurry vision for a bit, and that is rare, no post laser restrictions. i talked to a couple folks that had it and it sounds pretty much like a layup.

My guy was very frank with me regarding issues. The laser treatment has become so mainstream, I got the impression the surgery is rarely if ever done. The only after effect is blurry vision for a bit, and that is rare, no post laser restrictions. i talked to a couple folks that had it and it sounds pretty much like a layup.

Thanks Tim. Layups are pretty easy if you can see.:D I got a few more questions before I give the green light to the guy that operates the laser machine. From what I've already learned,Watching and waiting is kinda scary.

Thanks again

Glenn

Thanks Tim. Layups are pretty easy if you can see.:D I got a few more questions before I give the green light to the guy that operates the laser machine. From what I've already learned,Watching and waiting is kinda scary.

Thanks again

Glenn

Good luck with it.

Glenn,
Good luck with the surgery. We will miss you at the AR state shoot this weekend but your good health is more
important than the whipping you usually give us. All the best for a speedy recovery,
Best Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Glenn,
Good luck with the surgery. We will miss you at the AR state shoot this weekend but your good health is more
important than the whipping you usually give us. All the best for a speedy recovery,
Best Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Thanks Joe. The whipping deal is mostly the other way around. I will miss being there.
Have fun.

Glenn

glenn

you will be missed.

one of the turkeys in the turkey shoot had your name on it.

take care of your health-first.

ray

ps
can you find a replacement to represent you? you will notice i did not say replace you!

While I do not have the problem Glenn has, I am exited to say this Thursday I am having two cataracts removed plus a new lens installed in the left. I began noticing a change in vision at the nats. last Sept. I have only had one "good" eye since childhood, with extreme Astigmatism in the left. I am told the new lens will remove that.
I have worn corrective lenses since childhood, and as of late, all types of light whether it be yard lights or the stars, have a halo around them in the shape of a pentagon. I'm 82 and am thrilled in having this done. Without today's modern procedures my situation would only continue to get worse to the point where perhaps corrective eye ware would cease becoming an aid.

Joe

I had lazer today

Glenn- I am just telling you this to rest your uneasiness about the lazer. My situation is somewhat different than yours, I do have "open angle" type glaucoma and have had it since 1985. I have been able to keep my pressure within acceptable levels since then but in the pat 2 years the pressure spikes up randomly. These spikes in pressure have been as high as 18 when my normal has pretty much 14 to 16 with an occasional 17 My optamoligist sent me to another doctor for a 2nd opinion and I had the lazer "cold shot surgery" this morning and after the lazer my pressure was 9 in both eyes- I have never seen my pressure this low. The lazer was painless but I could feel a sort of sharp "thud" in the area behind my eyes when they shot it.

Wayne Corley

Without today's modern procedures my situation would only continue to get worse to the point where perhaps corrective eye ware would cease becoming an aid.
Joe

This is so true Joe. Its Hell getting old. I hope you're still shooting when i get to be 83. Hang in there.

Glenn

Glenn- I am just telling you this to rest your uneasiness about the lazer. My situation is somewhat different than yours, I do have "open angle" type glaucoma and have had it since 1985. I have been able to keep my pressure within acceptable levels since then but in the pat 2 years the pressure spikes up randomly. These spikes in pressure have been as high as 18 when my normal has pretty much 14 to 16 with an occasional 17 My optamoligist sent me to another doctor for a 2nd opinion and I had the lazer "cold shot surgery" this morning and after the lazer my pressure was 9 in both eyes- I have never seen my pressure this low. The lazer was painless but I could feel a sort of sharp "thud" in the area behind my eyes when they shot it.

Wayne Corley

thanks for sharing Wayne. this is the kinda response I was looking for. Wednesday is the Big day.

Glenn

Good luck, Glenn.

Let us know how it turns out.

Bill

Thanks Bill, as much noise as I’ve made about this procedure, It would be thoughtless not to share my experience with the forum. I have received E-mails and PM’s from people who have had This surgery. All results have been positive. That’s a good thing. As explained to me, one of the risk factors for angle-closure Glaucoma is increasing age. Which includes me and many of my friends who shoot Benchrest. I don’t believe Rifle Scopes can fix eye problems. I guess I could be wrong. Anyhow,some may benefit from this discussion.

Bill,I was down in Doole,Tx all day yesterday. Not far from San Angelo,Tx.
Had to move my RV off the the Deer Lease. Thought I’d better get it done while I can still see.:D I apologize for such long posts on this topic. It’s sorta important to me.

Glenn

Last edited:
You will be all right, Glenn. This is a subject that many of us are interested in. Keep us informed. And good luck deer hunting this season. With all the rain that we have had, the deer will be in great shape.

One more of your many friends,

Bill Wynne

Glenn
You've made the right decision, it's nothing to take a chance with. I'm 48 and have open angle Glaucoma this type is treated with medications. The narrow angle type of Glaucoma is nothing take a chance on

I'm sure you will do fine

Tim

Back