Kroil?

Actually, I agree with you on the break in process. Soooo...we'll have to fight about something else.

I put it back

Yeah......I think it was the nitrobenzene that put a twist in OSHA's(?) shorts.
Kevin

What one man can do another can undo. I add the nitrobenzene back to the hoppes at the same concentration. But before you ask I can't tell you where I got it from.
Andy.

What one man can do another can undo. I add the nitrobenzene back to the hoppes at the same concentration. But before you ask I can't tell you where I got it from.
Andy.

Nitrobenzene is one of those things that from just the smell it seems like it's going to dissolve your lungs. BTW there is some for sale on eBay.
I once tried pure nitromethane as a cleaner, but it wasn't very effective.

It is stain LESS, not stain none.

Still needs some protection.

The Chloride in you sweat will cause pitting in almost all types of stainless if left on the surface.

Which is why I never pick up a firearm by the metal [steel or stainless steel] part without properly wiping the handled area off afterwards. If my handloads are going to sit for a long spell after loading I wipe them OR handle them with the disposable food gloves that you can buy cheap offa eBay.

Butch's Bore Shine for cleaning.

One sloppy wet patch on an undersized jag, then a few wet brush strokes with a bronze brush, patch the crud out, then another loose wet one, then a tight dry patch or two. Wipe off the muzzle, dry the chamber with a revolver/shotgun mop, clean the lug recesses and it's done.

If it's going back in the gun case, Marvel Mystery Oil on a loose jag always works.

I've got some old Hoppe's #9. Reminds me of going to the old Herters store with my Dad. :) -Al

A loose patch of accelerator followed by a loose patch of wipeout. Let sit 5-10 minutes. Follow with a tight hexane patch and a tight dry patch. Lather, rinse, repeat. Usually the black is out after 3 tries. Anything after that stays.

Chrome moly barrel gets a loose patch of oil.

Which is why I never pick up a firearm by the metal [steel or stainless steel] part without properly wiping the handled area off afterwards. If my handloads are going to sit for a long spell after loading I wipe them OR handle them with the disposable food gloves that you can buy cheap offa eBay.
Very true! The 416ss that we are use to can barely even be called stainless at all. It has a pretty specific purpose and it works well for making gun barrels because it is both quite machinable and it's heat treatable. Otherwise, it's a pretty useless variety of "almost stainless steel", steels.

If I may suggest..........just one more thing.

Add an old rag(aka back of an old discarded t-shirt), that is used for various gun cleaning chores over the years/decades......now black in color. A major portion of that black color is.........."old formula" Hoppe's #9.......the GOOD stuff. Nirvana!!!:eek:

Kevin

I agree kevin. I use that first, and Butches after. Days end...Jim Probst ( JB) compound. I'm about at the end of my original jar from the 60's.

Much of this is cleaning thing

Is based on what one believes. I have moved on to what works fast. A recent discovery or re-discovery is RemClean. Rem clean on steel woll on a worn out brush, shazam! MAGIC. This after a citrus based liquid cleaner. More than believing in, a fact. Steel wool won't hurt a barrel, they are wearing out anyway.

Pete

...........Steel wool won't hurt a barrel, they are wearing out anyway.

Pete

that's what I told my Dad back in high school...... peeling out with the old Country Squire wagon (wood panels, 460 4-barrel) din't hurt nuttin' "the tires were wearing out anyways..."

Well

peeling out, in most states I'm familiar with, is a summonsable offense. Seems while you're peeling, you really don't have control of your car. The potential possibles are left to you to figure out. Guess its just one of those things kids do.

Have you ever seen it on the exterior surface of a SS rifle?

The Nosler site mentions it in the context that an oiled bore takes a scosch longer to foul.

A course SS will rust if exposed to something like muriatic acid, salt water etc.

The chloride ions from your sweat.

It makes a white corrosion product.

Stainless not stain-none.

There is still a lot of iron present.

It does not need as much as a blued gun but an occasional wipe is a good idea.

yes that have made laws..just to make stuff not legal.
"exhibition of speed" with little to no actual speed.
all in the name of public safety and noise.
when i am trying to sleep i like the law.

peeling out, in most states I'm familiar with, is a summonsable offense. Seems while you're peeling, you really don't have control of your car. The potential possibles are left to you to figure out. Guess its just one of those things kids do.

LO-freaky-NELL!!!

THAT took a turn eh!

Who'dathunk burning rubber on public highways and byways was a "summonsable offense" eh?

I s'pose you're gonna' tell me that riding wheelies through town on my 'Busa ain't good neiyther, nor power-braking a smoke-show at the lights, nor prob'ly even uncorking the latepipes after midnite.....

squares

when my brother/s got tickets for that stuff it was called unnecessary acceleration whether the tires squealed or not.

I told ya what I told ya

LO-freaky-NELL!!!

THAT took a turn eh!

Who'dathunk burning rubber on public highways and byways was a "summonsable offense" eh?

I s'pose you're gonna' tell me that riding wheelies through town on my 'Busa ain't good neiyther, nor power-braking a smoke-show at the lights, nor prob'ly even uncorking the latepipes after midnite.....

squares

yes, summons are issued for peeling out. You don't know why, I can't help ya.

Francis

It can also be “excessive noise”. But go ahead, give the law a reason to pull you over. I sure showed them.NOT

I can't tell you how many times that happened and the driver was OUI or OAS! The Darwin awards behavior does exist!!;)

Back