Kimber rifles?????

Are these rifles accurate out of the box? Can they be tuned to shoot well? Are there aftermarket triggers available for them? Are they worth the price that thet bring? Are they a quality product?

Anybody have first hand information regarding these rifles?

Tia

Stay well,

Zeke

Are these rifles accurate out of the box? Can they be tuned to shoot well? Are there aftermarket triggers available for them? Are they worth the price that thet bring? Are they a quality product?

Anybody have first hand information regarding these rifles?

Tia

Stay well,

Zeke

don't know about their rifles, but their customer service is terrible according to several people i have spoken to. your mileage may vary...

Ive got a Cooper that would out group my brother in laws at the time, 82. I think there quality slid when they moved the plant. My buddy has an old 82, I think made in Oregon, that shoots.

You will not be happy with a Kimber. I have a Montana 223 that shot so bad at 50 yards that I couldn't sight it in. I was using 4 different brands of factory ammo that shot 1/2 to 1-1/2" out of my wifes CZ. The barrel is rough as a cob and by far the worse barrel that I have had on any rifle. On close inspection, I found a step on the lands from the crown back about 0.100" of an inch that was about 0.015" deep. I made a drawing, wrote a letter and sent it back for service. They ran a chamfering tool into the crown and returned the rifle with chatter marks at the crown and the original problem not fixed. They sent a test target with four shots in about 1.5" and called it fixed. I called factory service and was told that their standard was 2" for three shots at 100 yards.

I recrowned the rifle myself to remove the step and bedded it. It came down to about 1.5" for five shots after that but hasn't been a top performer. I have two handloads with match bullets that will stay slightly under an MOA but that is it. I bought the rifle as a "utility" rifle because it was stainless and synthetic but thought that it should shoot less than an MOA for the price point that it was at. If you can swing it, go for the Cooper. Sakos are generally good but Cooper is giving you a rifle with a factory test target that is a statement that the potential is there. DON'T BUY A KIMBER.

I had a little Kimber in 243 that shot very so-so. It WAS an extremely light, comfortable rifle, and after re-barreling to 6.5X47 Lapua with a Rock Creek barrel it shot extremly well (a friend got it in trade and re-barreled it). If you can find one for a good price, a quality rebarrel make them wonderfull little rifles.

I had a little Kimber in 243 that shot very so-so. It WAS an extremely light, comfortable rifle, and after re-barreling to 6.5X47 Lapua with a Rock Creek barrel it shot extremly well (a friend got it in trade and re-barreled it). If you can find one for a good price, a quality rebarrel make them wonderfull little rifles.

Rebarrelling the Kimber was my my conclusion. Having a Lilja/Hart/Scheider/Bartlein et. al. is a $500 investment. I like the Kimber stock and the action but for that total investment, you can have a Cooper, that comes with customer service.

It seems interesting to me since this thread is about 85% negative as far as Kimbers accuracy I assume either they are out of business , or rifle accuracy does not matter to people. I have a collector friend who has 12 or so Kimbers and loves them so I am surprised and yes he is a BR shooter so I assume could not tolerate poor accuracy . I personally have never owned or even fired one. I just have to wonder how they stayed in business if they are as bad as this thread portrays.

Dick

Dick, they're not 'bad,' I just don't consider them to be accurate. I don't consider pre-64 Win 70's to be accurate either.

Doesn't change the fact I love 'em....

al

Kimber provides a rifle that hits a market niche that is not filled by the other major manufacturers. Their rifles are light,appealing to the eye, and feel good in the hand. They provide a Classic style sporting rifle that is eye candy when compared to the others at that price point. In my humble opinion, I believe that most customers do accept what they get and are not critical when they consider the primary mission for the Kimber Rifle. The Model-70 style safety, controlled round feed extractor and tastefully executed classic style stock compensate for run-of-the-mill accuracy.
This is not my first Kimber. I owned a very early Kimber of Oregon Model 82 22rf. I had sold an Anschutz 54 Sporter to get. Why did I do that? For the Classic Style stock. That was a real mistake. The rifle couldn't approach 3/4" at 50 yards, whereas the Anschutz would shoot 3/8" diameter 10 shot holes. As it turned out, the Kimber had a "bulge" in the barrel about 5" back from the muzzle where you would feel the patch jump as you were pushing a rod down the barrel. I sold that 82 and bought another Anschutz that I still have.
My next Kimber was a 6PPC Ultra Varminter. It was recommended by an associate that was a benchrest shooter who also had numerous Kimbers. The rifle arrived with a sharp edge on the front face that cut the rims of the then expensive and hard to find 6PPC Sako brass. Because it was a solid bottom single shot, the extractor had to ride over the rim to chamber a round. Well, I stoned that defect off of the extractor and went on with business. The point is, a premium rifle that is sold at a higher price point should not exhibit such deficiencies. The rifle was not a stellar performer out of the box. After rebedding, it became an honest 1/2 MOA rifle. The attraction is the estethic appeal. It is a nice mid-weight walkin' around rifle that, after some work, is a fine 300 yard varmint rifle.
I have several Kimber 1911 variants that have been fine handguns, I started buying those when they first started into the market. I found that the Kimbers were better performers than Colt's of the time. Going forward, I will buy no more Kimbers. There are too many good 1911's available today, at the Kimber price point, to have to patronize an organization that projects an attitude out of their service department that is unprofessional and offensive. Any company that does not put customer satisfaction and quality first is not going to get my money.
Kimber deserves to lose their market share of not only rifles, but the 1911 customer base. For out-of-the-box factory rifles, I'm looking at companies that provide a test target and an accuracy acceptance criteria with their products. Those would be companies like Cooper and H-S Precision. After that, I'm having some qualified smith put my rifles together. I've had very positive customer service experiences with Marlin and Ruger. For the purpose that those rifles are built and the PRICE POINT, they are doing a fine job. I just resent sending arifle for repair that was not properly crowned on a lathe and having it returned without having the original problem addressed as it should have been. As far as quality control is concerned, there seems to be some pervasive cultural deficiencie that has migrated with the Kimber organization as it migrated from Oregon to NY.
I think that consumers are entitled to know the truth about what they are paying for. Kimber rifles do have a classic design, good triggers, real walnut and a light weight. Just don't expect the performance or execution of design to be as good as they look. "The only interesting rifles are accurate rifles." - Townsend Whelen

Last edited:
The only Kimber I owned, and the only one I will ever own, was a pretty little thing out of the box with lots of traditional features and a nice stock. But out of the box the accuracy was terribly bad with "good groups" running 3 inches or more. This was one of their lightweight models. Using pillar bedding along with free floating the stock didn't seem to help it much so I assume the barrel was bad. Free floating the barrel was a difficult chore as it (the fancy wood) had warped so badly. I sold it the first chance I had after a trip to the range with its then new bedding and such turned out to be a bust.

This was an early Kimber rifle made in about 1992. Perhaps they're making them better these days but my persual of various internet sites seems to suggest that they good safe queens and aren't shooters. I personally don't plan to ever get burned again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting thread folks,I purchased a Kimber rifle for one youngest sons graduation gift,being young he favors big boomers,the rifle is in 300 Winchester Magnum,I guess we got lucky as it will shoot my old favorite hand load slightly under 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards on calm days.I have yet picking my shooting conditions failed to cover three shots with a quarter..I was impressed enough as you say with the weight ,feel and looks of this rifle that I had considered getting one for myself in a lighter caliber,However this thread has defiantly changed my thinking....LW

I took a Kimber stainless fluted barrel 308 in trade and the rifle looked new. The best I could get off of the bench at 100 yards was 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups. I really liked the rifle but when it would not shoot I traded it for a Leupold scope.

Back