Killough shows how it is done

Bill Wynne

The March 50/50 shoot at the San Angelo Gun Club on March 7, 2009 was held under the usual windy conditions. The temperature was pleasant and the wind was generally from the South but switchy at rates up from 12 to 22 miles per hour. At times, sand was blowing across our range.

The big story of this shoot is that Dan Killough won all three matches with a 250, 250,and a 245. This was the first time anyone has shot two 250s at our range on the same day. While the winds were affecting the scores of the rest of us, it was only something to be read by Dan.

It should be noted that Dan had 5 wind flags and 2 wind probes and he was using all of them very well. I also might add, for what it is worth, that he had a Pappas Noodle which might have helped to "break the wind" or whatever.

Congratulations Dan. You have just shown us it can be done in the wind.

San Angelo Gun Club 22 Benchrest Shooters
IR 50/50 Yards Date: 03 / 07 /2009
Club List Ul 1 Ul 2 Ul 3
Shooter Score X's Score X's Score X's
Adams, Larry 232 3 238 6 230 4
Batko, Dan 244 3 241 8 238 5
Dennis, J. D. 240 5 243 6 242 6
Keim, Steve 238 10 236 8 239 8
Kemp, Jack 238 10 226 2 235 4
Killough, Dan 250 20 250 19 245 18
Prine, Donald 240 9 246 9 242 10
Spill, James 247 13 242 10 243 8
Wynne, Bill 246 12 246 13 241 5

Concho Bill

great score

bill what is that papas thing anyway a noodle

thanks

bob

bill what is that papas thing anyway a noodle

thanks

bob

Others may correct me and they are welcome to do so. I will gladly welcome corrections on this thing, regardless of the source.

The Pappas noodle thing is a piece of aluminum tubing about a foot long and maybe 1 1/2 inches in diameter with holes in it and a sliding weight on it. It screws on the end of the barrel. When you shoot the gun, it makes a funny sound.

Some say it makes some rifles shoot better. It has been claimed that it dissipates the muzzle blast away from the bullet sooner. It does keep the bullet out of the wind for the first foot.:)

Concho Bill

Congrats to you Dan Killough. IIRC, you won a match at my range, which is notoriously difficult to read with the switch and swirl.

I wanted to extend an invitation to come on back and show us once again how you do that thing that you do.

Please check with us whenever you pass thru/by San Diego. Our top shooters have eclipsed your score, so you really do need to come back and set the record again.

Hoping to see you this year, John Harris

John,

Let me warn you, Dan is better than he was last year. He does keep us on our feet though.

Bill Wynne

I've got one of those noodles comin - now I know what kind of
scores I'll shoot I see it was worth it:D

Boy I wish I could shoot matches you guys sound like your havin a ball.

Nice Shooting Dan. I shot with Fran, Jim P., Fred & Kay G. and Billy R. plus others today at Waco. It was a very nice day with some good scores, I think at least 5 or 6 - 250's.

Les

I've got one of those noodles comin - now I know what kind of
scores I'll shoot I see it was worth it:D

Boy I wish I could shoot matches you guys sound like your havin a ball.

You would sure be welcome at our range. I think that most of us shooters are more alike than we are different and we don't go to a shoot to have a bad day.

We have a lot of friends out there that we haven't met yet.

Concho Bill

the noodle

well if i shoot like crap will i now be a contender with the noodle. it all sounds so easy! i tinik ill just order one and see!

it must of put a lot of confidence into dans shooting wow. whatever he does i want to do. what a great shooter.

bob

Thank you all for your kind words.

John, I went out for the California state, but I did not see you.

Bob, it was the long J&J slide that I was using on a Turbo/Shilen. That was the first outdoor match I have used the slide in. I think it is a keeper.

Dan...

Congratulations on your back to back 250's and winning the match under tough conditions. See you at Luray this coming week-end at the psl match. Doug Brown

Back