kelbly video on accurate shooter

skeetlee

I just watch a great video over on accurate shooters daily bulletin. The video was of Kelly shot and some of the work they do. What I noticed most while watching was a barrel being chambered a steady rest. The muzzle end was in a 6 jaw Chuck while the chamber end was being held with a steady or roller rest. I guess what I wonder is how you would indicate the muzzle while it's in the 6 jaw? Or is it not indicated and just simply centered in the Chuck?
I am always willing to try something new, but perhaps I better learn a little more about this particular process or way of clambering. Anyone here chamber in a steady rest such as seen in the video? Take a look lots of neat stuff going on at Kelly's. Lee

As long as a new barrel is, you could put it through the headstock, indicate the bore at the muzzle end, and cut a cylinder from the muzzle end back for a ways. That way, you could be pretty close indicating off the OD at the front of the jaws. A few years back, I asked Jerry Simison how he chambered barrels. He said that he had several lathes and chamber a barrel however a customer wanted, but that he preferred to do it with a steady rest. I believe that he produced the Buckys scope mounts on CNC equipment. If you really were limited as to headstock hole size, you could set the barrel up between centers, with a faceplate and dog, and cut a cylinder at one end, and then flip the barrel end for end and do the same at the other. For slim barrels. I believe that some smiths have shrunk on aluminum sleeves and turned cylinders that were true to the bore on their ODs, and then removed them when the chambering and crowning were complete.

Some smiths will set up a barrel to be chambered by chucking the tennon with the muzzle centered in a live center at the tail stock. The smith can turn the muzzle true with the bore then flip the barrel end for end and proceed with the breach end in the live center. Doing this will center the muzzle in the chuck while a over sized tennon is cut into the shank for the steady rest to run on for chambering.
Some similar methods of fitting leaves cutting the threads and facing the tennon shoulder to be done after the chamber is reamed by centering the chamber in the live center and then finish turning the tennon to specified diameter and cutting the threads.
Search this forum for Gene Beggs chambering or read John Hinnetts book. I read John Hinnetts book several years before I bought a lathe, it's full of good information even if you never chamber exactly as John teaches.

Last edited:
Just watched this video the other day and, though the gentleman doesn't use this method any longer (I think that is what he said in the video), he explains the process well. I think it is very similar to what Gene mentions in his posts regarding chambering. It is the only video that I have found that goes from start to finish on a chambering job through the steady. Bob "The Viper" has great vids as well for those wanting to chamber through the headstock/chuck-held cat head method.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epiGY0qFT3Q
Mike

Chambering in a Steadyrest

I was trained by Barret Obermeyer.....he uses a steadyrest.Depending on the job.... I use either the thru the headstock or steadyrest.Some guys use a mill.....

Can some one post a link to the video. I looked for it and found Ian showing off Kelblys outstanding product line, but no Gregg Walley chambering video.

I just watch a great video over on accurate shooters daily bulletin. The video was of Kelly shot and some of the work they do. What I noticed most while watching was a barrel being chambered a steady rest. The muzzle end was in a 6 jaw Chuck while the chamber end was being held with a steady or roller rest. I guess what I wonder is how you would indicate the muzzle while it's in the 6 jaw? Or is it not indicated and just simply centered in the Chuck?
I am always willing to try something new, but perhaps I better learn a little more about this particular process or way of clambering. Anyone here chamber in a steady rest such as seen in the video? Take a look lots of neat stuff going on at Kelly's. Lee

After the barrel is cut to length, the barrel ends are faced off and new centers are put into both ends of the bore either with a 60° piloted center reamer or indicated and tooled in. This 60° center machining step is dependent on how concentric the bore is in relation to the section where the barrel will be reamed and crowned. True journals are machined on each end of the barrel in relation to the new centers for gripping in the chuck at the muzzle - and at the breech end for the bearing loaded fingers of the steady rest. Therefore, no “dialing in” of the individual bore features is necessary for the job (after workholding setup), since one is relying on a properly adjusted chuck and tailstock for axial and radial alignment.

The machine at the min 2:40 in the video is a gundrill. All deep hole drilling on the action bodies, bolt bodies, and scope rings is performed with this machine.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

After the barrel is cut to length, the barrel ends are faced off and new centers are put into both ends of the bore either with a 60° piloted center reamer or indicated and tooled in. This 60° center machining step is dependent on how concentric the bore is in relation to the section where the barrel will be reamed and crowned. True journals are machined on each end of the barrel in relation to the new centers for gripping in the chuck at the muzzle - and at the breech end for the bearing loaded fingers of the steady rest. Therefore, no “dialing in” of the individual bore features is necessary for the job (after workholding setup), since one is relying on a properly adjusted chuck and tailstock for axial and radial alignment.

Greg, That won't work its to simple...george

when i saw the video i tought : the one sec. that greg was chambering in de video will start a forum on benchrest central
on how and why he does it that way , more then a few guys probably stopped the video and watched every frame
pixel per pixel . like always there are more then one way to do a good job and a 1 sec video does not show al the prep work ore all the fine asspects . truth is that the barrels greg makes works .if you ever got the time to talk to him you will find out that he knows what he is doing .
i trow in another bone : what does he use for reamer holder ???

Back