Just saw on Facebook

Pete Wass

a young feller in Fresno last weekend shot 4-2500 cards and 2-2450 cards with his Savage MK II in thee Factory class.

Sometimes ya just gotta say Wellsah!

Pete

Well, I'm not in that league, but my Dick's special Savage Mark II thumbhole definitely punches above it's price range.

And I'm not too ashamed to write that I have no idea what "shot 4-2500 cards and 2-2450 cards" means.

Jeffrey, you are absolutely correct, there is no reason for shame.
A “CARD” is a sheet of cardboard 11” wide and 17” long.
Shooting one card is often called “A Match”.
On this card there are 25 numbered targets, along with sighter targets, advertisements and a place to identify the shooter and the score of the match.
On a “ARA Card” the center ring is equal to 100 points.
If the shot falls just out of the 100 ring the score is 50 points. We call this worst edge scoring.
If all the shots fall into the 100 ring the total score for that card is 2500, a perfect score.
If one shot falls into the 50 ring the total score for the card will be 2450, also a good score.
The 4 and the 2 are the number of cards that were shot.

Bob

Last edited:
Pretty darned amazing

I'd be thinking this feat has never been accomplished with the very best custom built rifles. I read the results on ARA's website and it happened, for true. 23 HOF points.

Pete

Last edited:
First of all that's some great shooting, and a pretty competitive rifle to boot (regardless of the number of lugs it has or anything else).

Please sweet baby Jesus tell me it at least had a tuner on it (placed in front of the muzzle)? LOL

So much for the "art" of rimfire accuracy!

kev

ARA Factory Target

That is great shooting!

I don't want to take anything away from that but have you guys seen the ARA Factory target?

TKH

ARA Targets

ARA target outside d about .5, outside d on factory about .848. Very close measurement.
I'm not a machinist. This is the 100 ring.

Well,

i had a look @ a Factory ARA target and it's pretty easy to see the difference. Guess my euphoria was a bit misguided :(

Pete

i had a look @ a Factory ARA target and it's pretty easy to see the difference. Guess my euphoria was a bit misguided :(

Pete

Yes and no to the above. That's still excellent shooting for the class, plus it was a brand new rifle and those scores were shot from a bipod and rear bag. On that day, I'd say the guy really had it going on!

Scott

I'm a fairly new RFBR shooter. I have a Holeshot UL rifle that I shot most of last year for the first time. My club was shooting IR50/50 targets and I was able to shoot a few 250'S. I bought a CZ MTR to take to FL. and shoot this winter. I have a Randolph frt. rest and an Edgewood rear bag. I shoot CX, RM rifle match, and other match ammo. I have probably shoot 50 cards and my best is a 2400. I am amazed at those scores. I'm sure most of you guys shoot custom BR rifles and haven't tried a $500/$800 rifle. When I shoot my first 2500 I will surely celebrate. I have to add that I'm 77 and a rookie, but having fun. Looking forward to shooting at my club soon.

It's all relevant and good scores remain good scores, whether a Factory eligible rifle on the Factory target or an Unlimited rifle on the Unlimited target.

These are great Factory targets being reported here and deserve a lot of praise! I know I'd be proud to accomplish it and I have the utmost respect for anyone playing the Factory game! I'm seriously considering giving it a go in the Factory class in at least one match this year just for the fun of it and as a change of pace.

Landy

That is great shooting!

I don't want to take anything away from that but have you guys seen the ARA Factory target?

TKH

Don’t follow ARA very closely and just looked at the factory class target.
While this is obviously a fine piece of shooting, several guys assumed this was done on the standard ARA target......a FAR tougher deal.

It is some good shooting, also indoors. There was a gent last years ARA national that shot a great agg also. Having a rifle that shoots, the target is easy. JMHO

Your going to see a lot of high aggs and 2500's this year.

Joe

IMO Factory Class indoor 2500’s potentially are going to be a dime a dozen.
If memory serves not one bull required a plug. All no brainers.
Brian’s rifle was two weeks old. Ha ha he probably paid more for the Tier1 FTR bipod than he did the rifle. Weaver scope.
He shot some black box picked up at the last Fresno match.
(Side note... Jerry Galbraith’s second 2500)

Attachments

• E6A30244-B6F4-407A-9EA0-FBDA29322C55.jpg
    E6A30244-B6F4-407A-9EA0-FBDA29322C55.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 214
Last edited:
I have a cousin

who has one of those Savage MK II's that shoots with our custom rifles. A good custom will beat his but he shoots 250's outdoors with it. He would do very well on the Factory target. Very occasionally a factory rifle will shoot exceptionally well but it is very rare. One would see a good one with a rifle costing over a grand but not many of them. I saw a stock Anaschutz Running Boar, I think the model is, rifle last winter win an IR 50/50 UL agg so some of em shoot. It was a tough day so there were no 250's as I recall but he was shooting Wolf ammo! I've seen other Position rifles from the past win matches as well but they wouldn't qualify for this class. Pretty much it will be a game of buy and trade until one finds a great shooting rifle. I've lived through running Factory Matches so have seen how it goes. Not disparaging the effort but just sayin.

Pete

I thought the range was expanded at Fresno. By the looks of that picture it seems like there are only 6 benches. :confused:

I thought the range was expanded at Fresno. By the looks of that picture it seems like there are only 6 benches. :confused:

As we speak the range is being expanded.
The season does not begin until May. Thus allowing them ample time to complete the necessary work.

Back