Just getting into benchrest shooting.

Take note. Many thrones and stools do not adjust to a low enough height to make a good match up with common bench heights, when used by shooters whose builds fall within the normal range. It would be a shame if you bought something only to find that it would not adjust to a low enough height to be comfortable. You might want to do some research before you buy. The good news is that some of the drummers' thrones do go low enough.

" what size .22 cal patches do you use for cleaning your barrels? I picked up some proshot patches for 17-22 cal rimfire but they are only .75". Shouldn't the patches be 1" for a tighter fit or will these be fine? "

It depends on what size jag you have. I use an Ivy rod with his jag and use 1-1/8 square patches exclusively. bob

I am on Staten Island, and do shoot with Bill B upstate. My club is 10 min. from my home on Staten Island. On Feb. 10,2013. there will be three Rimfire Benchrest Matches.(club matches). You can come as my guest. You can call me at 718 967 8536.

Joe T.

Joe,

How did you make out with SuperStorm Sandy? Been wondering about how you and the Alfredos managed on Staten Island.

Joe,

How did you make out with SuperStorm Sandy? Been wondering about how you and the Alfredos managed on Staten Island.

Hi Bill, My home is on high ground no water some wind damage. Ken also is on high ground but don't know if he had wind damage. I don't know where Dennis is on the island.

The club's web sight is Richmondborogunclub.org

Hi Bill, My home is on high ground no water some wind damage. Ken also is on high ground but don't know if he had wind damage. I don't know where Dennis is on the island.

The club's web sight is Richmondborogunclub.org

Good to hear you didn't get flooded out.

djdillionin-- just go out there with what you got and beat yourself and you are a winner.

Joe Haller always said "everyone that shoots is a winner" --Ill add the losers stay home.

Which one?

" what size .22 cal patches do you use for cleaning your barrels? I picked up some proshot patches for 17-22 cal rimfire but they are only .75". Shouldn't the patches be 1" for a tighter fit or will these be fine? "

It depends on what size jag you have. I use an Ivy rod with his jag and use 1-1/8 square patches exclusively. bob

Bob,

Which of "his jags" do you use, .17 cal, .20 cal or the .22 cal with the 1-1/8" square patches?

Thanks,

Steve

I have had jag/patches problems.

I like Pro-shot prods. Jag and 1 1/8" patches required that I hammer them thru the bore.

I even had my son take the jag and cut it down a few thousands but have to use the 7/8 (or whatever the smaller size is) patches. Id like a couple thousands of the jag back on now..22 rod/22jag w/ the 'spear' in the center if the tip. Rod is Dewey.

Steve: I'm not sure, sorry. I think it is probably a .20 cal but that is just a guess. Oh and by the way I just got a large bag of 1-1/4 round patches from Brownells. They work fine. bob

Jag size

Steve: I'm not sure, sorry. I think it is probably a .20 cal but that is just a guess. Oh and by the way I just got a large bag of 1-1/4 round patches from Brownells. They work fine. bob

Thanks, Bob. I personally like the round patches but I don't think I can pass a 1.25" one through with my .22 diameter jag. If you ever get a chance to check on the actual size, I would be interested to know. Thanks again.

Steve

I keep a sharp pair of scissors in my cleaning kit so that if a patch seems to be too tight as I try to start it, I can trim it down to the feel that I want. The idea of hammering a tight patch down a bore makes me cringe.

Last edited:
what size .22 cal patches do you use for cleaning your barrels? I picked up some proshot patches for 17-22 cal rimfire but they are only .75". Shouldn't the patches be 1" for a tighter fit or will these be fine?

I use 1-1/4"-1-1/2" round patches, my jag is turned down to .156. Without turning down the jag you will not be able to use patches much larger then 1". I prefer the patch cover as much of the jag as possible. I've seen some use a pistol jag as well. Even a .17 cal jag will not allow you to use a larger patch.

Regards,
Joe

Hey Bill, I can't find any of my favorite "Whoopass" ammo anywhere. Hope to get some before the next Wawarsing shoot. Any Ideas? Even CenterX, I can't find.:cool:

Hey Bill, I can't find any of my favorite "Whoopass" ammo anywhere. Hope to get some before the next Wawarsing shoot. Any Ideas? Even CenterX, I can't find.:cool:

Hey Whoopass, good to hear you're thinking about attending our matches. The Wawarsing match schedule is now up on the IR50/50 site. As for ammo, I usually get my ammo from KSS or Bert's Garage, but then I usually shoot Eley. Not sure who is selling Lapua these days. Can anyone help him out? All the places I looked on-line were out. If you are really in a pinch, I have some older Master M that has been properly stored that you can try at our first match and if you like it I'd be willing to sell you some at a reasonable price. I've kept it because my Cooper 57M likes it, but I don't shoot that Cooper much these days.

Try looking here: http://www.rimfireaccuracy.com/Forums/showthread.php/2571-Lapua-Supplier

Last edited:
Back