Jewell trigger SAFETY test

Al, is number 3 the softest spring?????

What does your scale read for trigger pull?

That will give me a better idea what spring to try in my Rem's.........

Crazy Canuck Cal

Al, for what it's worth, I just took my 721 project Rifle out of the case, (it has the Jewel trigger like yours), and the safety works in any position as it should.

I have the trigger pull set on about 8 ounces...........jackie

George in Ky. Seem's our boy got lost along the way. Is the magazine floor plate on the bottom also? Nobody turns a rifle upside down.

George in Ky. Seem's our boy got lost along the way. Is the magazine floor plate on the bottom also? Nobody turns a rifle upside down.

I have had a rifle upside down many times, checking action screws, cleaning, installing bottom metal and so on, Al is more than familar with the works of a bolt action gun and triggers.

Ron Tilley

You use safeties? IMO they create the false impression that a loaded firearm is somehow less dangerous to the extent that it may be handled less carefully. OK maybe I have overstated my position, but I think that you get the drift.

Boyd, I manufacture firearms. I have an 07 FFL, this isn't my rifle.

But yes I use a safety while hunting. And yes I'm perfectly aware of those wannabe's who wander about with an empty chamber shooting no animals.......

al

Relax Al. I agree that if a rifle has a safety, it should work.....every time. I almost wish that my Jewel trigger had one so that I could test it. (My other bench rifles have a Canjar Light Pull, and an early Hart. Thankfully, I have never had a problem with the safeties on my factory triggers, or actions. My statement about overstating my position was meant to indicate that in fact there are situations where the use of safties is appropriate. I guess that I am just tired of the attitude that some seem to have about the safety of firearms that are loaded with their safeties engaged. Have you taken the offending trigger apart and examined it?
Boyd

Last edited:
Yes this one's been apart Boyd, nothing overtly wrong or broken. I find myself temporarily at a loss..... no extra triggers in the house! I've got two more coming today or tomorrow so's I can break them down side by side.

This is an older used trigger I dug out because a customer needed a trigger NOW.

al

15+yrs old

used on various varmint rifles and test mules

of course not "tampered with" no one tampers with a Jewell.....

All that said, I've gone through a lot of triggers, there's a good chance this one's been on rifles which have blanked primers. I rotate thru around 6-8 of my own triggers. There's a good chance it's been back-slapped. It's never been known to malf but then again it probably hasn't been on a hunting rifle for years. In other words, the safety probably hasn't been used or even cycled for years....

al

Sell it to a wannabe who wonders around with a open bolt.

Al,
I have two Jewell triggers like yours adjusted to 4 oz. on two different rifles. I turned each rifle over so that the trigger was facing up, opened and cycled the bolt, flicked the safety on and off several times. I tried all types of combinations and neither trigger replicated your description.

Alinwa
It sounds like the littlest spring that sits in the trigger shoe itself is smashed or missing.Cycle it right side up really fast 10 times and see if it holds every time you do it.If its rattling one of the springs is damaged.
Lynn

Back