J&J Slider test

bob finger

Had the opportunity to do an initial test on a J&J Slider this morning.

Set the tuner up per James instructions, A Harrell by the way, and proceeded to test three different types of ammo.

Now looking at this noodle I do not know and cannot honestly understand how much less why it works. But it works, works indeed!

The rifle I used (Annie 54 with heavy factory barrel) likes Eley Black box, shoots Standard + well enough to practice with and does not like some no name I had laying around. Without a tuner I have shot several 250's with her on the IBS target. Prior to putting the tuner on I shot a 248-9X.

After installing the tuner and noodle my groups tightened right up and it was obvious when I had gone past the sweet spot. The black box was almost one hole, the Standard + shot match capable and the no name became good enough to use casually. Tuning indicated a setting of 51 for the Black box and no name and 53 for the Standard +. One click either way and the groups open up. It is that quick and that obvious. Don't know how this thing works but I'm gonna use it fer sure. At least until the above cannot be repeated. bob finger

J&J Slider

I have struggled with a very finely crafted Stolle Swindlehurst rifle for the past year. I was readly to throw in the towell when I decided to give it one more shot. I installed the J&J slider with a new Harrell style tuner. This rifle has changed from a mediocre shooter to a genuine bench rest rifle. Without any tuning it was just amazing how much this rifle changed. With just a short session in the wind and rain I used it in a match the next morning. I took the 13.5 class today with a 249. My super Win52 shot another 250 20X as well today. Too bad I am still struggling with a sporter!!

This is the first one I've seen around here and the other shooters hadn't seen one either. Alot of discussion and admiring and of course the usual jokes!!

Regards,

Lee

Have you had to use any additional weights or did you just run the
tuner with the slide screwed in?
Do you have the short or long?
What is your bbl length?
How much of the holes do you have showing?

I just got my blue one and will be testing as soon as my glass gets
back from TKLee

Guess I'll have to figure it works - new build with no data.

Please explain your testing method, what tuner setting to start, where to position the slide, etc. Thanks, Douglas

Did you test with tuner and weight equal to the J&J? Or did you just put tuner & J&J together and adjust for best results? I've heard that the J&J weighs about 5 oz, is that correct?

Thanks,
Regis

My gun is a know match winner and I’ve put a noodle on it and it is shooting better. At first I thought it must have just been the exact right amount of weight for this barrel, so I added a little bit of lead to a screw on weight to makeup an exact weight down to the gram 1/24 of an ounce. It didn’t shoot the same so it’s not just a weight thing and I have no idea on how it works but its bloody good on this gun.

Dialling it in I just set the tuner at 250 screwed on the short noodle with no weights quickly worked out 241 was good. The only problem I had is it gave me such a wide sweet spot that I was never really 100% sure I had the right tuner spot. I’ve since played around with it a bit, 50m indoor test tunnel, 50m indoor range and outside in a bit of wind with the long tube and weights and the short noodle with weights and I came back to the short tube no weights at 241.

Peter

Interesting, someone else reported a narrow range, only a couple clicks. And this narrow range is what made it somewhat easier to tune. Thanks, Douglas

Douglas,
When you have a range of about 20 clicks that looks like they’ll all shoot 250’s indoor, you scratch head a bit, but you do it with a big smile. :D

Peter

slider

oh oh dont we all get a stimulus adn a much needed bailout?

bob

Slider

fred do you mean you the little non-elitest file, show all income and pay your taxes when due just what sort of american are you?

this is all in jest to point out some very sad problems we find our selves in today especiall with turbo-tax and his crowd.

jsut a little thinking but i love this slider post. when i get my pappas rest and a slider i will be ready oh i forgot i have to practice too darn it!

bob

Back