Its in the bag!

WallyDog

My first score match with a 6ppc and my first BR match in 12 years is in the books. I had fun which is what I was after but the score was less than stellar. I dropped 2 points each target BUT the wind was 10-20 mph from 9oclock to 1 oclock. I shot in the 12 oclock. Had trouble with it pushing bullet low and right if I misjudged velocity by very much.
I have no club to go and work up a load yet either as COVID has clubs still shut down to 10 people etc. Illinois is not open. I loaded 28.5gr of an 07 lot of N133. No pressure signs at all. Ill go to 29.0 next time out...I think. This with my own 65 gr bullet on .835 OAL. Lighter tension on the neck and left bullet long to be pushed back by camming in. I really like the 35 Leupold Comp series scope too!!

Im asking for advice as I have no way to bench test the gun until the Peoples Republic of Illinois opens up to Phase 4 or 5??? Im thinking 29.0 of that
old n133.?Increasing bullet pull by .001 more? Still allowing .020 push back of bullet on camming shut.

Wally

You’re at a bit of a disadvantage with a 6mm against those dirty thirties. That 29 grains of 133 is still a little on the light side. You mention neck tension but you didn’t mention neck thickness and diameter of the neck die bushings. Can I assume that barrel is 14 twist and it wasn’t shot out 12 years ago when you put it away? You can test with different neck tensions and different seating depths.

In the bag

You’re at a bit of a disadvantage with a 6mm against those dirty thirties. That 29 grains of 133 is still a little on the light side. You mention neck tension but you didn’t mention neck thickness and diameter of the neck die bushings. Can I assume that barrel is 14 twist and it wasn’t shot out 12 years ago when you put it away? You can test with different neck tensions and different seating depths.

Its a new 13.5 twist Kreiger. Its a .268 chamber but Im at about .265 loaded round. Didnt want to mess with tight neck tolerances. Using a .264 bushing but I think I need a lil more pressure so maybe a .263? How bout 29.2? I really dont want to shoot hot. Swollen brass problems that I dont want to deal with. PITA to always be messing with sticky cases and hard bolt lift.

I would go down to a .261-.262 neck bushing. A load of 29.2 won’t give you pressure problems. If you start getting sticky or hard lift on the bolt handle there is a solution for that.

FB 's suggestions I agree with. Your neck clearance is good. Powder is pretty low (29.5+ better). Start seating at "jam" (bullet with good rifling marks). Don't bump the shoulders back too much. Then pick one thing to adjust +/- at a time. "if barrel is still good" things will fall into place.

In the bag

FB 's suggestions I agree with. Your neck clearance is good. Powder is pretty low (29.5+ better). Start seating at "jam" (bullet with good rifling marks). Don't bump the shoulders back too much. Then pick one thing to adjust +/- at a time. "if barrel is still good" things will fall into place.

I made a bushing at .261 and it is much better for tension. I had to re-find the jam length. Im kissing the lands now. With the extra tension I can see the land marks a lot better than before. Thanks for the help.
Wally

In the bag

I would go down to a .261-.262 neck bushing. A load of 29.2 won’t give you pressure problems. If you start getting sticky or hard lift on the bolt handle there is a solution for that.[/QUOTE

I have yet to buy a bump die if thats the solution your talking about. Probably gonna need one. I took your advice and used a .261 as the loaded round was .264. Reset the bullet to just kissing the lands. Ill try 29.2 as I really dont want to fight sticky cases and have to use a bump die a lot.

Thanks for the help
Wally

Back