I'st shot flyers

B

bobkk

Have a Kimber HS in 22lr. First one or two shots with a cold barrel are
off at least 1 inch. No pattern. Then it shoots OK until it cools down.
Any one know a cure for it. That bugs me. Have other 22's that
don't do that. Ben a member here for a while just didn't post just
read a lot.

The real cure is don't shoot a first shot out of clean barrel at a target you are serious about, especially with a .22LR.

I go hunting with barrels that have a couple of shots thru them after they were cleaned. I always use my sighter target before I go to the record target in benchrest matches with centerfire guns and, again, especially with a .22LR.

A few years back I chronographed shots out of my bench guns. I got an average of 40 to 50 fps difference, lower velocity, when it was the first shot out of a clean barrel. Burnt powder in a barrel is a lubricant.

Years ago Jim Borden showed me how to leave my barrels a little wet after cleaning. That usually allows the first shot to go into the group. Key word there is usually... I shoot a couple in the sighter every time.

I don't think it's the barrel heating up as much as it is the condition inside the barrel, ie, squeaky clean or fouled.

Don't worry about it. Learn to live with it... it's no big deal.

Dick

What your seeing is perfectly normal for a 22LR. My gun takes at least 10 shots to warm up and start grouping. That's with a dirty barrel.

Hovis

My 541S REm

takes 5-6 shots to get back on zero when shooting. 30 min. between targets and 5-6 more warm up shots. Hacen't shot my H&R M12 or the 700X enough yet to say on them. Max

first shot cold barrel

How do you resolve this situation in the squirrel woods??

bobkk

We used to have a tac shoot at 100yd with 22RF.(I'm talking thumb tacs, quarter annie for one shot on command.)
I had a Kimber with the same problem as yours.
I could sit out a relay and shoot sighters then get in with a warm barrel and take the money for a couple relays till my barrel cooled off. They caught on to my game and told me I couldn't do that anymore, it was a cold bore shoot.
The best part about a Kimber is they bring good money used at big gun auctions.
That was my solution.

Back