IR 50/50 Unlimited Class

S

steve b.

Is there a true Unlimited class in IR 50/50 that allows an unlimited weight rifle?

I know of the 13.5 rifle, but I didn't see any mention of a pure unlimited class, similar to ARA.

s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlimited Class

Steve,
Click on the IR50/50 Icon on the home page, go to rules, then in section IV you will find what you are looking for. Yes, there is an Unlimited class.
Thumper

For what it's worth many if not most shoot it with a 10 1/2 pound gun with a few one piece rests, I'd love to see a coulple guys campaign a true rail gun just to see all the shiny aluminum.

Yeah, they are cool to check out.

I have a rail myself, and it's fun to mess with.

I didn't notice that subsection in the IR50/50 rules when I wrote the last article, since the rifle classes in the rules doesn't mention the Unlimited rifle, so I just wrote about the 13.5 lb class.

I had a few readers question me on that, and alas, there is a true Unlimited class in IR 50/50.

Sorry! Messed that up.

s.

Would you find the time to post up a photo of the rail and/or perhaps who built it. Thanks.

Nice looking rig, man that is one short freakin bbl, I wonder why?

Actually not, its anywhere from a 21" to 24" barrel, depending upon how far up into the tuner the barrel length goes.

Looks short because of the large diameter of the barrel and that the barrel is clamped into a Jay Young barrel block, which is 6"-8" in length with a couple of inches of barrel length sticking out the rear end before attaching to the action.................Don

the barrel diameter "what if "

it is only .890 and you have the standard jay young top, how do you make the barrel fit as the clamping only goes down to say 1.025
what type of material would you use to sleeve the block
Jeff

it is only .890 and you have the standard jay young top, how do you make the barrel fit as the clamping only goes down to say 1.025
what type of material would you use to sleeve the block
Jeff

Aluminum, delrin, or PVC side slit tube to step down from say 1.200 to .890. I prefer the grey industrial grade PVC tubing, as it seems to have the best damping, hardness, and machining properties, also rather cost effective.

Could also use a .250 flat shim opposite the "V" on the barrel block to achieve clamping reach...............Don

Actually not, its anywhere from a 21" to 24" barrel, depending upon how far up into the tuner the barrel length goes.

Looks short because of the large diameter of the barrel and that the barrel is clamped into a Jay Young barrel block, which is 6"-8" in length with a couple of inches of barrel length sticking out the rear end before attaching to the action.................Don

I got a heads up on that right about when you posted, did'nt realize it was that thick. I guess that means the tuner is about the size of a Pepsi can.

I got a heads up on that right about when you posted, did'nt realize it was that thick. I guess that means the tuner is about the size of a Pepsi can.

Yes, probably because the builder thought that it would take a large amount of weight to counter the large diameter barrel, also the tuner is probably made of aluminum adding to the need for a larger size due to the light weight properties of this metal.

A hint as to the diameter of the barrel can be seen where it steps down in size to mate with the smaller diameter action.

If the action is appx. 1.250 in dia., my guess is the barrel is 1.375 or larger in diameter, tuner.........?.........big diameter.......lot of Pepsi cans..........Don

one more question

so do I either

1. get a inch and a quarter pvc pipe and a smaller one to insert into it and then cut them in half (like a 30 mm to 1 inch ring plastic adapter) or

2. get a pvc square block and cut it to mimic the v block on the top OR TOP AND BOTTOM V BLOCK of the young and then it iwll go down to .890 or so in the same fashion as the v block accepts round holes from 1.5 up to 3 inch

hope this explains my lack of knowing how to proceed

Jeff

so do I either

1. get a inch and a quarter pvc pipe and a smaller one to insert into it and then cut them in half (like a 30 mm to 1 inch ring plastic adapter) or

2. get a pvc square block and cut it to mimic the v block on the top OR TOP AND BOTTOM V BLOCK of the young and then it iwll go down to .890 or so in the same fashion as the v block accepts round holes from 1.5 up to 3 inch

hope this explains my lack of knowing how to proceed

Jeff

Jeff, my preference would be to purchase/aquire a single length of .750" i.d. x 1.250" o.d. industrial grade PVC tubing (McMaster-Carr suppliers), and bore the i.d. to a tight fit .890" i.d., same as the barrel o.d., and then only slit one side of the tube which will allow for an easy slip fit over the barrel and ease of compression when installing in the barrel block..................Don

thanks don

now I understand, did not know you could get pipe to be other than 1/4 thick unless you ordered a round bar or round stock

thanks again

Jeff

Last edited:
Back