Interesting notation about the rules regarding gun weight

D

Dave Shattuck

Here we are right in the middle of trying to get things worked out as to where we need to set our limits for the different Class, and trying to use as a foundation the "current" WRABF Rulebook, when what pops up?

You all remember how there seemed to be some unwritten rule floating around that said we all had to use a universal pellet when determining our guns energy levels? Well, it seems that wasn't the only place where things went afloat.

While at the Worlds because of my being a Team Captain I was asked to be involved in resolving a protest. As we all entered the trailer each of us were handed a copy of "the most current" set of rules to help base our decision on. It wasn't until today that I scanned through the rest of the pages while seeing how much we could copy from those rules when setting up this new disciplines, and guess what I found? It seems that for both the HV-A and B Classes there is ABSOLUTELY NO WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS AS TO HOW MUCH YOUR GUN CAN WEIGH! Yup, you heard me right!

For both Classes the first descriptive sentence says, and I quote: "Heavy Varmint Air Rifle Class A or B - is any rifle having a manually and mechanically (including electronic triggers) operated firing mechanism, with no weight limit." And that is the only reference made to how much a gun weighs in either of the Classes.

So, how do you like them apples?

Are we having fun yet?

Dave

So, how exactly does one go about keeping appraised of the most current rules???? I checked the website and still see the "old" rules still up.

Dennis

So, how exactly does one go about keeping appraised of the most current rules???? I checked the website and still see the "old" rules still up.

Dennis

Dennis,
I don't have a dog in this fight but if you look at the sentence it has a comer not a full stop, I’d read that as meaning the trigger weight. Which is what that sentence is talking about, triggers.

Peter

Peter,

I thought the same thing. The only problem with that is, this is the only mention made of weight anywhere within the rules for either of the heavier Classes, where for both the Sporter and LV Classes they are very pronounced as to what the maximum allowable weights are, and thus I am taking it to mean that there is no weight limit for either of the heavier Classes, and have even confirmed that at the Worlds no weights were recorded for any of the HV-B Class guns.

Dennis,

I have no idea.

Dave

there is a weight limit

Dave, not 100% correct maybe we need to clarify the grey area and have it reading a little better. There is a 15lb weight limit including scopes and attachments on HV A & HV B also please note under the new rules which will be up as soon as possible that were voted on by World Delegates there will only be 2 air rifle classes being LV (10.5lb weight) and HV B (15lb weight). as we shot at the World Champs in the USA recently.

I hope this clarifies it and assists you.

Last edited:
Here are the WRABF air rules with weight in RED for further clarification

2. Light Varmint Air Rifle Class - is any rifle having a manually and mechanically (including electronic triggers) operated firing mechanism, weighing not more than 10 1/2 pounds (4.762 kg) inclusive of sight. Factory stock or stocks that meet ‘Stock Clarification’ rules may be used (see APPENDIX G). The action can be either spring or pneumatic; air regulators, barrel weights, harmonic tuners or bullet stabilisers are permitted but will be included in the overall weight of gun. The air cylinder can be changed as long as it is provided by the Manufacturer as an option/spare to that model. Any magnification scope may be used. The barrel/ action can be bedded and have the trigger reworked (or replaced). Return to battery shall NOT be permitted. Power to be restricted to
16.27 Joules or 12 ft lbs maximum. Shooting Distance 25m (0.177 and 0.2 scores plugged by 0.22 calibre gauge) 3. Heavy Varmint Air Rifle Class A - is any rifle having a manually safe manually and mechanically (including electronic triggers) operated firing mechanism, a weight restriction of 15 lbs is set (including attachments – scopes, muzzle devices, etc). Any air regulator can be used as long as it is integral within the air cylinder. Any modification may be made to the rifle and any magnification scope may be used. Factory stock or stocks that meet ‘Stock Clarification’ rules may be used (see APPENDIX G). Return to battery shall NOT be permitted. Muzzle brakes, muzzle flips, barrel weights or Harmonic Tuners are permitted. There is no restriction on cylinder size or capacity as long as21 Joules or 15 ft lbs maximum power is retained and it is integral within the rifle. (Separate Air Cylinders are not allowed, the cylinder must be part of the rifle and the overall weight). Shooting Distance 25m. (0.177 and 0.2 scores plugged by 0.22 calibre gauge. 4. Heavy Varmint Air Rifle Class B - is any rifle having manually and mechanically (including electronic triggers)? operated firing mechanism, a weight restriction of 15 lbs is set(including attachments – scopes, muzzle devices, etc). Any air regulator can be used as long as it is integral within the air cylinder. Any modification may be made to the rifle and any magnification scope may be used. Factory stock or stocks that meet ‘Stock Clarification’ rules may be used (see APPENDIX G). Return to battery shall NOT be permitted. Muzzle brakes, muzzle flips, barrel weights or Harmonic Tuners are permitted. There is no restriction on cylinder size or capacity as long as27 .12 Joules or 20 ft lbs maximum power is retained and it is integral within the rifle. (Separate Air Cylinders are not allowed, the cylinder must be part of the rifle and the overall weight). Shooting Distance 25m. (0.177 and 0.2 scores plugged by 0.22 calibre gauge).

4. Heavy Varmint Air Rifle Class B - is any rifle having manually and mechanically (including electronic triggers)? operated firing mechanism, a weight restriction of 15 lbs is set(including attachments – scopes, muzzle devices, etc). Any air regulator can be used as long as it is integral within the air cylinder. Any modification may be made to the rifle and any magnification scope may be used. Factory stock or stocks that meet ‘Stock Clarification’ rules may be used (see APPENDIX G). Return to battery shall NOT be permitted. Muzzle brakes, muzzle flips, barrel weights or Harmonic Tuners are permitted. There is no restriction on cylinder size or capacity as long as27 .12 Joules or 20 ft lbs maximum power is retained and it is integral within the rifle. (Separate Air Cylinders are not allowed, the cylinder must be part of the rifle and the overall weight). Shooting Distance 25m. (0.177 and 0.2 scores plugged by 0.22 calibre gauge).

Thanks for the clarification Bill. That's what we had always gone by, but when I was handed the copy of the rules for consideration at the Worlds I assumed they we correct in every way at that point in time, so that is what I was basing this notation on. Sorry about that! And I had heard that we were dropping the Sporter and HV-A Classes, which makes perfect sense in every way. Good call on that one! So, I'm also guessing that now the Classes will be labeled as LV and HV, and dropping the "-B"?

Tell you what, after you and a few others have had a chance to read this update, I'll delete the thread.

Dave

Another item in the rules "Any air regulator can be used as long as it is integral within the air cylinder" that had me worried at a time. Surely this will make a lot of rifles not eligible? Not many rifles got their regs inside the cylinder? Sorry if this hijacks your thread Dave but seeing that you are looking at the rules……..

Gert

Thanks for the clarification Bill. That's what we had always gone by, but when I was handed the copy of the rules for consideration at the Worlds I assumed they we correct in every way at that point in time, so that is what I was basing this notation on. Sorry about that! And I had heard that we were dropping the Sporter and HV-A Classes, which makes perfect sense in every way. Good call on that one! So, I'm also guessing that now the Classes will be labeled as LV and HV, and dropping the "-B"?

Tell you what, after you and a few others have had a chance to read this update, I'll delete the thread.

Dave

Seems to make sense to me about dropping the B but cant recall will have to check the minutes and or discuss with the committee.

Hi all, we did indeed discuss the 'b' aspect of the name. As there are now only two classes the 'b' was agreed to be dropped. It is a shame about the sporter, as having a third class for air rifle would be great, but it is another rifle to transport to international events and no one shot it.

If anything we need rifles we can add weight to and turn up the velocity for ease of transport.

Bill & Carl,

All has been good ever since I first got involved with airguns, so no problems mates. Should the "m" be capitalized in mate, or left lower cased?

Dave

Back