Interesting local 'primer story'.

Andy,

The reason we have no Vihtavouri power in Australia at the moment is there is only one powder delivery a year from Finland and Nioa missed the boat...First Fleet was Nioa's transport company that delivered powders to us in New South Wales...Our shop had its last ADI powder delivery about 3 weeks ago from an other supplier in Victoria who now is no longer an ADI supplier now that Winchester has been given the ADI distributorship...There will be no more powder shipped to NSW until Winchester have jump through all WorKcovers hoops to get a license to transport powder into NSW.

Steve

Nioa didn't really miss the boat because at the moment there isn't a boat to miss. Since first fleet went out of business there isn't a hazardous materials shipper sailing from Europe that is licenced to enter Australian waters. Check the merchant shipping register. But the procedure is in progress.

The WW licencing has to be done for each state not just NSW. But as they already have the necessary Federal compliance documentation for such materials the process should only take a few months. When the VV powders eventually arrive they will probably come from the Belgum plant who do have the necessary set up to make the N series powders.
Andy.

Powder

Andy,

Read what I said in my post...1 powder shipment per year...Nioa missed the boat...this information comes from Nioa...when I rang Nioa to ask when their shipment of Vihtavouri powder would be here I was told their order was too late to catch the powder boat which only delivers once a year...the powder I was enquiring about was for Ian Owen for the NSW Light and Heavy in August...Ist Fleet were Nioa's carrier to transport powder around Australia not from overseas.

Winchester have been trying for 6 months to get powder into NSW...Nioa for nearly 12 months...I work in the Firearms industry so I have a bit of an interest in what's going on with powder in this country.

Steve

Last edited:
Umm

Andy,

Read what I said in my post...1 powder shipment per year...Nioa missed the boat...this information comes from Nioa...when I rang Nioa to ask when their shipment of Vihtavouri powder would be here I was told their order was too late to catch the powder boat which only delivers once a year...the powder I was enquiring about was for Ian Owen for the WBC...Ist Fleet were Nioa's carrier to transport powder around Australia not from overseas.

Winchester have been trying for 6 months to get powder into NSW...Nioa for nearly 12 months...I work in the Firearms industry so I have a bit of an interest in what's going on with powder in this country.

Steve

I was informed by a reliable person within the maritime industry that 1st Fleet are insolvent, no longer listed on the stock exchange and are not sailing anywhere. So there was never going to be a delivery by them of anything to anywhere. So I am not sure what Nioa was referring to unless it was a shipment before the company ceased trading.
Andy.

The primer makers are doing their best to keep up with demand.

I wonder about that; in fact, I wonder what they're doing about making primers. Based on a phone call to Midsouth this week, it sounds as though they have not gotten but a VERY few primers this year, and based on the seemingly-constant out-of-stock status at Midway, Powder Valley, and Sinclair, it seems as though those folks have not gotten many primers in this year either.

EDTI -- My theory on why the large, on-line sellers seem to be constantly out of stock is that they are unwilling to pay the wholesale prices that someone in the distribution chain is demanding, nor are they willing to change their prices to reflect the current market prices of primers; thus, the primer supply is bypassing them.

Last edited:
I was informed by a reliable person within the maritime industry that 1st Fleet are insolvent, no longer listed on the stock exchange and are not sailing anywhere. So there was never going to be a delivery by them of anything to anywhere. So I am not sure what Nioa was referring to unless it was a shipment before the company ceased trading.
Andy.

Your not listening,First fleet is a national..............or was a national road transport company,the ship that Steve and Ian are talking about has nothing to do with first fleet.

Chris.

powder

Chris,

I think Andy's sources weren't shooting industry related...I think the boat and transport side of this thread has run it's course...From what I've heard there is a supply of N133 for the WBC.

Steve

I wonder about that; in fact, I wonder what they're doing about making primers. Based on a phone call to Midsouth this week, it sounds as though they have not gotten but a VERY few primers this year, and based on the seemingly-constant out-of-stock status at Midway, Powder Valley, and Sinclair, it seems as though those folks have not gotten many primers in this year either.

EDTI -- My theory on why the large, on-line sellers seem to be constantly out of stock is that they are unwilling to pay the wholesale prices that someone in the distribution chain is demanding, nor are they willing to change their prices to reflect the current market prices of primers; thus, the primer supply is bypassing them.

I haven't seen primers at several of the large, on-line sellers for quite a while. I've had primers on backorder with one of them for about three months; when I call, they say they're not receiving many. Interestingly, a couple of local retailers have primers in stock; in fact, one of them said, "we've got more primers than we know what to do with" -- of course, they charge more than the large, on-line sellers. :cool:

Powder Valley just recently had CCI BR4's on their site for about three days before they were gone so the must of had a passel of them, BR2's lasted about a day before they were gone.

primers

I ordered 5000 CCI small rifle BR primers the other day and payed right at 70.00 a thousand. Thats twice what they youst to be.

Back