Interesting local 'primer story'.

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
I get my 'consumables' (powder, primers, patches, solvents) from a locally owned, family run, gun store. Good place, good people, always a good selection of stuff. Anyway, the other day I stopped in to just pick up a shellholder and looked up and where the primers normally would be. Now...like a lot of retailers they've been out of primers for a long time.

Imagine my surprise when I spied a box of 1,000 Fed. 205's. I asked the owners wife to grab 'em for me and mentioned something along the lines of "Well, stuff must be starting to dribble in?" She said that they'd had several thousand CCI's small rifle primers on the shelf and "...they sat there for days before we sold them". :eek:

It's the little things that make me smile.......:) -Al

Similar exp here in Ohio. Our local shop had a good supply of Tula primers in stock and they were priced under $30 per thousand

I'm waitin' for the guy that caused such a rucus on 4-30 about primer prices to jump in and tell me how I've been ripped off......:rolleyes:

Haven't seen many more primers (or powder either) around here, but last week I found a couple hundred .22-250 cases in a local store. Since I have a .250-3000 that needs feeding I snapped up a hundred of them although I nearly gagged at the price ($50/100, Winchester).

I am a little puzzled

I am a little puzzled by the shortages the shooters in the USA seem to be experiencing. I went out to a local supplier here in Brisbane in the land of Oz to get some more powder and a box of Fed 205's. The shelf had 10 boxes I could see with more out back and they asked me how many pounds of the powder I wanted. Another smaller dealer about a Km away seemed well stocked also.

As the dealers here order from the same manufacturers as the their counterparts in the USA do I wonder why the shortages are so bad over there. Do we just order more than the market can absorb in a year. Curious.
Andy.

Was reading a book while eating lunch in my workshop today. I was using a folded piece of paper for a bookmark. Curious, I unfolded the paper and saw that is was a receipt from Wideners from 2011. I had ordered four cases of primers and all were priced from $15.00 to $16.5o per thousand. My how much things change.

I am a little puzzled by the shortages the shooters in the USA seem to be experiencing. I went out to a local supplier here in Brisbane in the land of Oz to get some more powder and a box of Fed 205's. The shelf had 10 boxes I could see with more out back and they asked me how many pounds of the powder I wanted. Another smaller dealer about a Km away seemed well stocked also.

As the dealers here order from the same manufacturers as the their counterparts in the USA do I wonder why the shortages are so bad over there. Do we just order more than the market can absorb in a year. Curious.
Andy.

It's very simple Andy, our consumption had increased tenfold because we voted for a retard. Governments over here are passing restrictive laws right and left and people are buying while they can. We've got an entire state over here that's managed to ban bullets! If you're unfortunate enough to live there you can MOVE, or you can spend your vacation money on bullets (or primers) and not sell your house.....The primer makers are doing their best to keep up with demand, and they're not shorting you guys or anyone else so in your case demand is essentially stable, you won't even feel the hit.

Ah I see

It's very simple Andy, our consumption had increased tenfold because we voted for a retard. Governments over here are passing restrictive laws right and left and people are buying while they can. We've got an entire state over here that's managed to ban bullets! If you're unfortunate enough to live there you can MOVE, or you can spend your vacation money on bullets (or primers) and not sell your house.....The primer makers are doing their best to keep up with demand, and they're not shorting you guys or anyone else so in your case demand is essentially stable, you won't even feel the hit.

Banning bullets is very clever if you are a part of the anti gun fraternity because as I see it that legislation would not allow you to posses loaded ammunition or one of the essential reloading components being the bullet. Consequently I imagine you can own a firearm but can't use it in that state because the ammunition requires a bullet. Essentially shutting down the shooting sports in that state. I am guessing here but would that state be California ? Not that I have anything against people living in California - in fact I have many good friends living there - but often if something strange happens it is not unusual to learn it happens in California first.
Andy.

Banning bullets is very clever if you are a part of the anti gun fraternity because as I see it that legislation would not allow you to posses loaded ammunition or one of the essential reloading components being the bullet. Consequently I imagine you can own a firearm but can't use it in that state because the ammunition requires a bullet. Essentially shutting down the shooting sports in that state. I am guessing here but would that state be California ? Not that I have anything against people living in California - in fact I have many good friends living there - but often if something strange happens it is not unusual to learn it happens in California first.
Andy.

Yes, they have managed to entirely eliminate normal lead-core bullets from hunting and are now working on banning them entirely, even for target shooting. AND, they've managed to use the precedent for banning lead shot (for duck hunting) to convince stupid people that they're saving the condors! Like "solar" and "ethanol" etc, they just tell sheeple they're "doing good" and and the voters happily reward them.

THE ONLY THING that's saving us right now is the incredible far-sightedness of our Founding Fathers who set this country up as a Representative Republic instead of a democracy. There are people on this forum who will happily vote to BAN stuff they don't personally use. These same people voted us into this corner, they'll even come on here and defend their choices! LUCKILY for people like me, I'm taking hope because the childthug in office as POTUS is now butting heads with the First Amendment.............. maybe, maybe MAYBE we'll gain some allies from the press :)

(insert appropriate "praying" emoticon here)

Our system still works over here, we generally get what we vote for, many of us are just too stupid to vote rationally.

We're an ignorant hag-ridden bunch, because we can afford to be.

For now
al

" It is a principle that a right to a thing, (gun) gives a right to the means (ammo) without which it could not be used, that is to say the means follow their ends." Thomas Jefferson, 1792 ( parentheses () were my doings)

It's very simple Andy, our consumption had increased tenfold because we voted for a retard.

You sir, should work for CNN...

...because that is the most concise, pointed, accurate statement to state of the Union I have ever heard...

Thank you. You sir are a great American...

Andy.

Andy I'm told there is one importation of powder into Aussie each year so I imagine that the suppliers import quite a bit each time which would explain why the stock is still plentiful at the moment.

But what happens when they do there next stock order and it can't be filled because the US market is consuming it all. Aussie won't run out of powder as ADI is still made in Aussie (which is also the base for a lot of IMR & Hogden powders)

I notice that there is a severe shortage of Vihtavouri powder in Aussie since the importer that took it over hasn't imported any.

Here in NZ primers are in short supply because the importers can't get there orders filled.........Kiwi

Andy I'm told there is one importation of powder into Aussie each year so I imagine that the suppliers import quite a bit each time which would explain why the stock is still plentiful at the moment.

But what happens when they do there next stock order and it can't be filled because the US market is consuming it all. Aussie won't run out of powder as ADI is still made in Aussie (which is also the base for a lot of IMR & Hogden powders)

I notice that there is a severe shortage of Vihtavouri powder in Aussie since the importer that took it over hasn't imported any.

Here in NZ primers are in short supply because the importers can't get there orders filled.........Kiwi

Generally speaking Ian these suppliers over here in the US are ethical businessmen, in for the long haul, and as such they SHOULD NOT short you'se guys.... unless y'all start over-ordering too! :)

The Capitalist Business Ethic doesn't allow for YOU having to pay for OUR stupidity.

al

Well actually

Well actually there are two orders placed each year for powder which isn't made here in Oz. The WW ball powders, alliant powder and the Vihtavouri. The last overseas order was apparently filled which was a few months ago. The main reason the VV powder isn't coming in is that the only carrier that was being used for shipping that sort of hazardous material from Europe was first fleet which went broke. So the new dealers for VV hod to find a new carrier who was licenced to enter Aust waters with such material. This aooarently can take some time so until then no VV. So I guess I can count myself lucky.
Andy

Generally speaking Ian these suppliers over here in the US are ethical businessmen, in for the long haul, and as such they SHOULD NOT short you'se guys.... unless y'all start over-ordering too! :)

The Capitalist Business Ethic doesn't allow for YOU having to pay for OUR stupidity.

al

Al that's good to know but all the suppliers/importers here say that they aren't receiving everything they order, some retailers have started rationing primer sales.......I'm lucky I don't need to buy a lot to keep shooting, which leaves more for those that need them.........Ian

Well actually there are two orders placed each year for powder which isn't made here in Oz. The WW ball powders, alliant powder and the Vihtavouri. The last overseas order was apparently filled which was a few months ago. The main reason the VV powder isn't coming in is that the only carrier that was being used for shipping that sort of hazardous material from Europe was first fleet which went broke. So the new dealers for VV hod to find a new carrier who was licenced to enter Aust waters with such material. This aooarently can take some time so until then no VV. So I guess I can count myself lucky.
Andy

Andy by the time the new VV importer gets the shipping sorted there might not be any VV to import since the factory is shutting down.......Ian

Not entirely accurate

Andy by the time the new VV importer gets the shipping sorted there might not be any VV to import since the factory is shutting down.......Ian

VV have three manufacturing plants. The one in Finland is closing. The main reason for the closure, and I have heard this from a reliable source who doesn't want to be mentioned, is that military contracts weren't renewed which made up the bulk of their output. The N series powders BR shooters use will be made elsewhere as it is still quite profitable to make them. A thread about this went around a while ago and others also confirmed this information.
Andy.

Powder

Andy,

The reason we have no Vihtavouri power in Australia at the moment is there is only one powder delivery a year from Finland and Nioa missed the boat...First Fleet was Nioa's transport company that delivered powders to us in New South Wales...Our shop had its last ADI powder delivery about 3 weeks ago from an other supplier in Victoria who now is no longer an ADI supplier now that Winchester has been given the ADI distributorship...There will be no more powder shipped to NSW until Winchester have jump through all WorKcovers hoops to get a license to transport powder into NSW.

Steve

Back