Interesting IBS bag question

Here's my take and with some amount of basis. If there's enough folks show up with one (anything), and the referees are faced with disqualification of half the folks in attendance...then it'll be OK. If you're the only one it could be bad!

Why is this in the "Competition Only" section?

Because the original poster wasn't aware the some IBS short-range guys (you are one, right?) feel that the IBS should stop sanctioning 1,000 and 600 yard benchrest competitions?

The rest and bag rules for long-range and short range are different. The reason is that when IBS first decided to sanction 1,000 yard competition, they took, whole cloth, the Original Pennsylvania 1000 yard Bencherst Club rules. Pennsylvania was one club at that time. They had a rest committee which could resolve any issues, on the spot. Charitable way to put it.

Best I can tell, no one at IBS examined the implication of the Pennsylvania rules, forgetting that IBS might draw on some of it's own short-range brethren.

I've been harping on the exact rule you bring up since the last millennium -- literally. Apparently someone finally invoked the rule.

Affects more than Farleys, BTW.

Reparsing what Wilbur said, the real thing to point out is that match directors should be forbidden to look at rests and bags. Probably 90%, both short and long range, are not in accordance with their respective rules.

Last edited:
Unfortunately many of the posters use nick names, I don't know them & wondering if their "data" are solid.

Mr. Farley has been in the BR world for many years, he produces good stuffs. I don't think he'd build a "wrong" product such as "illegal" front bag or not conforming the rules. I've never noticed seriously about Farley's & Edgewood front bags when attending overseas match but I think their bags are legal / over than 1/2" from the metal holding the bag.
One poster also said that "the latest Seb NEO & others also fail to meet the rule". How come? he obviously knows nothing about my production rests & the bags, period.

seb.

One poster also said that "the latest Seb NEO & others also fail to meet the rule". How come? he obviously knows nothing about my production rests & the bags, period.

seb.

Seb,

I hope you were not referring to me. I know nothing about your rests, aside from their stellar reputation. That said, it would not surprise me; the rules for long-range are completely different than for point-blank. Get yourself a piece of 1/2 inch bar. If you cannot fit that between the rifle and "anything but sandbag" on the rest, it is illegal for 1,000 yard IBS and Pennsylvania competition. Don't know about NBRSA -- hard to find their rules....

Other rest/bag combinations I know illegal would be the Hohen top & bag, or most any rest using the Sinclar"Replacement Dual-Sided (Leather and Cordura) Sandbag," cat. #79-002-480SE. Probably illegal is the "Sinclar Generation II All-purpose Rest Top" and/or "Sinclar Generation II All-purpose Windage Top," which use that bag.

Be aware there were several Farley's made, and even with the the first Generation (which mine is), several styles of tops/baskets that carry the sandbag.

My Farley, with an Edgewood bag (which I also have) is flat out illegal in IBS 1K competition. It may be illegal with the bag furnished by Farley, I haven't checked. A 1/4 inch spacer under the bag is required to meet the 1/2-inch away from any restraining metal rule.

I have not checked all Farley configurations, but it's likely more than one fails to meet the specific IBS long-range, or or that matter, the Pennsylvania, rules.

Benchrest needs to get to, then past, the "don't ask, don't tell" situation with rests and bags. Maybe in your lifetime?

Hi Charles, no I wasn't referring to you, his name is not Charles E. He's probably just read about my first prototype rest w/ the prototype bags, without knowing exactly about my latest/production rests, but his "judgement" (which is plain wrong) is annoying to me honestly. I do like & open to critism etc but I don't like false judgement from someone that does not know what he's talking about. It's different matter.

seb.

Hi Alex,
Thank you for introducing your true name.
Well, I don't know... I can't speak about your Farley (old model?) & Edgewood bag, honestly. I only know that they are good/great stuffs & used by many.

seb.

Looking from Farley's website, the bag sure protudes more than 1/2" than the metal holding the bag. Most likely about 3/4" - 7/8".
I work with rulers/calipers/gages almost everyday so I can know how thick is 1/2" or how thin is 0.001" or how long is 28.5" for instance (especially in metric)...even just by looking from a pic.
So what's up here?

seb.

Quote: "This is on accurateshooter.com. Requires some expert response".

Tenring, I'm sorry that I'm not an "expert" in anyway. I just did read about the link you provided and gave my comment here.

seb.

What is going on? My guesses 1/ a leaky bag 2/ grossly underfilled bag 3/ someones making counterfeit Edgewood bag made with immitation leather that shrinks:rolleyes:

Looking from Farley's website, the bag sure protudes more than 1/2" than the metal holding the bag. Most likely about 3/4" - 7/8".
I work with rulers/calipers/gages almost everyday so I can know how thick is 1/2" or how thin is 0.001" or how long is 28.5" for instance (especially in metric)...even just by looking from a pic.
So what's up here?

seb.
Well Seb, I assume you aren't calling us all liars, right? I work with machine tools a bit, too -- "Self" use to be what I'd enter for "gunsmith," "stocker", etc. (not that guarantees someone who can measure ;-)

I also work with PhotoShop regularly. You don't really think those girls have the proportions shown, do you?

Having said that, we're discussion the Farly rest and an Edgewood bag. And yes, with some bag containers on the Farley, the Edgewood is (1) legal for point-blank competition, but (2) illegal for long range competition.

Same with Roh Hoehn's old windage top, now withdrawn from the market, and the Sinclar tops/bags I mentioned. Probably more, it isn't something most rest/bag manufacturers consider.

zfestmalibu seems to have deleted his post, but to him -- by the time anyone realizes a record target might be going on, all the equipment's been removed from the line. No one's checking anything but the targets. As far as they go, be sure they don't leave the scorer's possession -- the wailing wall is the scorer's possession, as long as you don't take them off the nail...

Edit:

Mr. Smith: No, you're wrong. Edgewoods, filled as they should be, mounted as they should be in a Farley rest. Why do you assume so many of us are either liars or incompetent? I've got my 30 points, -- how 'bout you?

Last edited:
You win.

Good news, guys. The next time you're DQ'd, just tell the R.O. that you're sorry, it isn't possible. L.H. Smith has said you're legal.

Last edited:
I posted info to help with the topic of this thread. I HAVE a FARLEY GEN. I ......unmodified. I HAVE 2 EDGEWOOD BAGS ,for HTR and VFS...and I DO have 3/4 inch between stock and metal bag retainer. Seb believes there is more than 1/2" also. I looked at Farleys website and I agree with him. You claim this isn't so. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Let's get real on this one

This is on accurateshooter.com. Requires some expert response.

And has anyone in the 600 yd or 1000 yd game been called on this issue? You may well be bringing up another one of those "non-issues". How many folks in that game use Farley's? How many use other rests?

FWIW

David

I have a Hart, and had to use a spacer! Was called on it when the rules committee at the PA. club were like the gestapo in the 90's. I think your best bet is to first get the rest you want then have the bag made to give you the 1/2". Just my thoughts.

Joe Salt

Back