Indicating micrometer?

TrxR

Anyone on here use a 0-1" indicating micrometer? If so what brand? Is there any decent budget minded version? thinking of one for use in measuring bullets during the swaging process .

Cheapest out there. Amazon has about the best search function out there.
When I was making bullets I used a cheap tenth mic dedicated just for bullet making. I would core seat until they just came up to size and then stop.

Chttps://www.amazon.com/Shars-Indicating-Micrometer-00005-303-2301/dp/B082QSLH1C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3SWQVMKYQ15OT&dchild=1&keywords=indicating+micrometer&qid=1618326802&sprefix=indicating+%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-

Cheapest out there. Amazon has about the best search function out there.
When I was making bullets I used a cheap tenth mic dedicated just for bullet making. I would core seat until they just came up to size and then stop.

Chttps://www.amazon.com/Shars-Indicating-Micrometer-00005-303-2301/dp/B082QSLH1C/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3SWQVMKYQ15OT&dchild=1&keywords=indicating+micrometer&qid=1618326802&sprefix=indicating+%2Caps%2C281&sr=8-

Ive got a Mitutoyo 193-210 0-1" .001" mic which i dont think will work. Im assuming i need one to read in .0001"

Last edited:
I have to ask why do you need an indicating mic? It's very easy to determine the diameter in which to core seat bullets.

As a barrel maker, rifle builder and a Cal Poly Engineer graduate once told me a thousandths is a thousandths no matter who the maker might be or the cost. Most are actually certified to do just that but not all can take the same type of 24-7 industrial abuse. I have a 2 inch .0001 indicator from Shars and it serves my home hobbyist gunsmithing needs very well and when it comes to .0001 or more typically half of that perside most machines cannot even hold that type of tolerance. And is that not why engineered drawings also have a listed acceptable machining tolerance.

So what's wrong with reading the vernier on the barrel of a micrometer to the .0001"? When you get down that far, technique means everything.

I have to ask why do you need an indicating mic? It's very easy to determine the diameter in which to core seat bullets.

I guess i dont. I was over thinking this. I just ordered a new mic and caliper set as my cheap calibers were dying anyways .

Its got a Mitutoyo 293-340-30 Mic and 500-196-30 calipers.

i bought 4 mitutoyo mic's on a vacation uncle sam provided.
outside of tokyo in an open air market.
early 70's.......
naw you do not want to know how little i paid for the 4. with cases, and digital on small one. carbide faces and standards with all.

I guess i dont. I was over thinking this. I just ordered a new mic and caliper set as my cheap calibers were dying anyways .

Its got a Mitutoyo 293-340-30 Mic and 500-196-30 calipers.

i bought 4 mitutoyo mic's on a vacation uncle sam provided.
outside of tokyo in an open air market.
early 70's.......
naw you do not want to know how little i paid for the 4. with cases, and digital on small one. carbide faces and standards with all.

Im hoping these will serve me well. They are both digital come with a hardwood case and the mic has carbide faces. Ive seen nothing but good reviews on them.

Are standards a good thing to look into having? If so what size?

typically the smaller of the mic size.
a 0-1 has none, zero on zero
a 1-2 has a 1.0000
2-3 has a 2.0000
etc
Im hoping these will serve me well. They are both digital come with a hardwood case and the mic has carbide faces. Ive seen nothing but good reviews on them.

I actually like the plastic cases better.

And always leave the jaws open a few hundredths the when putting it away.
It is going to need some clearance when the temperature changes.

Last edited:
I actually like the plastic cases better.

And always leave the jaws open a few hundredths the when putting it away.
It is going to need some clearance when the temperature changes.

Thanks i believe im getting the plastic cases as well. And thanks for the tip about leaving the jaws open a little, ive already been doing that but its a good reminder.

Back