Importance of rest alignment and type of rest and simple mods to a annie 1913

P

Pieter.45

I'm quite a newbie in this sport and I was wondering...
Some days I shoot my annie 1913 and I shoot 247,last time I shot a 236.
Could it be that the alignment of the rest and the gun is at play?Or Isn't that this important.Yesterday I really payed attention and results were good.
I must ad our benches at the range are wobbly and all are linked together in a big construction..Lift your right arm and poa changes wobly:mad:They weren't designed for benchrest.Free recoil is out of the question.

My front rest isn't the best of best but it was the best I could afford at the time.It's a Henke with no adjustments in windage,only elevation.At the moment I have no budget for a €500 front rest,but if it is this important I might consider one in the future.

Are there any simple mods I can do to my standard annie?I torqued up the action at the right momentum and I've put a cicognani tuner on it.I stripped the bolt and cleaned it thorougly.I coated the interiour very lightly in oil to prevent rust,firing pin etc.were coated in oil and rubbed of dry.The stock is the standard 2213 alu.

Any sugestions please

Temp change?
2 scores don't give much of a data base.
Practice and keep good records - This is the only way to get
and idea of what works and does not.

It is very hard to be consistant if you are always moving the rear bag around.
That sure can cause some droped shots. You should save for a windage top asap.
Steve

I shoot indoor so wind isn't at play.
Seems a good idea to save up for a better front rest then.They sure are easier to use.Here goes the budget.
Yesterday I shot again a 243 and a 241.I payed attention to move to poa of the last shot prior to lowering to the next.I used to go left to right but changed to top to bottom.Doing so I have to move less for windage since I have no adjustment at the rest for that.
I have seen some rest with a stop for the stock so you return to the same position.I was wondering if that is also at play.All in all it's a free floating barrel.

I shoot indoor so wind isn't at play.
Seems a good idea to save up for a better front rest then.They sure are easier to use.Here goes the budget.
Yesterday I shot again a 243 and a 241.I payed attention to move to poa of the last shot prior to lowering to the next.I used to go left to right but changed to top to bottom.Doing so I have to move less for windage since I have no adjustment at the rest for that.
I have seen some rest with a stop for the stock so you return to the same position.I was wondering if that is also at play.All in all it's a free floating barrel.

Pieter,

A good rest is well worth the money spent, you will not regret spending the money once you have a good rest and start shooting with it.

What brand or make the rest is, is not important, what is important is how well it stabilizes the gun and how comfortable you are with the controls on it. A good rest must have a true windage adjustable top meaning one with a linear left-right motion is what is important, not one like the popular Caldwell Rock BR competition series that has a rotary pseudo windage adjustment. These simply do not work other than for making minor corrections on a single bullseye target, they will not allow you to traverse the width of a 25 (5x5 matrix) bullseye target such as is popular in benchrest shooting. What ever you purchase, you should be sure that it has adequate range to cover the entire target without having to reposition.

As to the Caldwell Rock BR rests, they are solid if nothing else and if that is what is available to you, then you should plan to spend more money to add one of the third party manufactured windage tops to it such as the Fudd top made by Scot Hamilton.

As to the gun stop, its usefullnes depends on how sensitive your gun is to where the forearm piece rests on the front support. Some guns are sensitive about returning to the same position in order to maintain the best accuracy they are capable of plus the gun stop helps you maintain a constant position and not be constantly making slight compensation adjustments to your position. Taking the human motion element out of the shooting equation as much as possible is what is important and the gun stop helps in this facter a lot. I would consider the use of the gun stop to be important in consitently accurate shooting...

Happy Shooting...
Mitch & Shadow...

your shooting

peter you are outshooting me with good br guns why because i refuse to buy quality ammo up til now. there is no way you can get around a good windage top or good ammo.

my neighbor an accomplished shooter says buy the best scope you can get and play down the rifle. i woulnt listen until he let me shoot one of his rigs.

his theory is every rifle will shoot but that a quality scope gives you an edge.so here is what i am doing. he also says he spends almost as much on his scopes as his rifle.

a. i have a good rifle

b. i have a good scope very high quality

c. buy the best ammo you can afford

d. get a good front windage rest

e. and as fred says practice practice pracice

good shooting

bob

I must ad our benches at the range are wobbly and all are linked together in a big construction..Lift your right arm and poa changes wobly:mad:They weren't designed for benchrest.Free recoil is out of the question.

Pieter,
After a night to sleep on this, I wonder if you would benefit from having your own portable shooting bench, could you use a portable shooting bench at the range you go to?

My reasoning is that stability in the shooting platform is important and while I've shot a lot of good targets from wobbly benches, what you say of having all the shooting benches linked together in one large construction tells me that you are subject to the slamming and banging around of someone else using a neighboring position outside of your control.

This is probably a worst case scenario and if you could resolve the linked bench issue somehow, possibly with your own portable shooting bench, this would be greatly beneficial to being able to shooting accurately...

Happy shooting...
Mitch & Shadow...

Last edited by a moderator:
They are indeed of no great use for a benchrest shooter.If the shooter next to you for example closes his bolt you see the target move in the scope.
The owner is going to change them for more solid seperate ones in the near future.
The rifle is standard but good (I shot several 5 shot groups of 9 and 10mm),as is my swarovski scope and my ammo (eley black or Lapua center-x)Leaves the front rest.I think I'm going to save up for a new one.The farley co-axial seems nice but is also very high end priced.The cicognani is less expensive but too light.
It is impossible to use your own bench,but there is a very solid table to ad to the shooting point to shoot lying.Maybe this will improve things but I need approval of the owner to use it in that way.

Back