Import/export licenses?

TrxR

Anyone here know what I as a Canadian would need to order Bullets from the US? Would I need some sort of import license?

Thanks

I am really surprised no one has answered yet.
I know there are quite a few Canadians here.
Thought if I posted it might bring the thread back to the top.

I sent a PM to him but have not heard back..........

Maybe when Jefferson has recuperated from his surgery he may chime in.

Calvin

Unless something has changed in the last month aren't the normal import/export licenses required..?.. that have been in effect for quite some time now... it's a US law/regulation...

Exporting firearms or most any related parts or ammo including bullets from the USA is controlled by there State department. The US wants an Import license (so that the counrty of import knows ). This ITER form is free from Canadian govt and is sent to the exporting agent in the US if the manufacturer doesn't do it themselves. Then the exporter applys to the state department for export permit. Then shippment can be sent. This is only if the US manufacturer has an Export licence. Many small bullet manufacturers do not have this and therefore can't have there product leagally shipped out of the country. This is all a lot of work for a few bullets. Best to find someone in Canada who sells or manufactures what you are looking for. The Canadian govt has no restriction on import of nonrestricted firearms or reloading components from any country. If you purchase bullets etc in the USA and bring them accross yourself, you declair them pay GST and you are good to go depending on amounts.Things do change over time but this is my experience in the last couple of years.

Robert

Growler..

If you purchase bullets etc in the USA and bring them across yourself... you are breaking US laws... as a non resident of the US you can not possess a bullet in the US without the correct paperwork in advance... and you can not export them without the paperwork either...

Growler..

If you purchase bullets etc in the USA and bring them across yourself... you are breaking US laws... as a non resident of the US you can not possess a bullet in the US without the correct paperwork in advance... and you can not export them without the paperwork either...

Dennis I've been to the US a few times and have taken rifle, bullets etc into the US.......if I understand what you wrote I can't legally bring any of that back out of the US because I haven't got an export permit...........to be specific I've never had an export permit to bring any of the firearm related items out of the US that I took in........Ian

Dennis I've been to the US a few times and have taken rifle, bullets etc into the US.......if I understand what you wrote I can't legally bring any of that back out of the US because I haven't got an export permit...........to be specific I've never had an export permit to bring any of the firearm related items out of the US that I took in........Ian

There is an ATF form that allows a shooter to import his firearm/ammo/bullets/etc. and what is not used is supposed to be exported, there is a time limit as well. You must have had to have some paperwork to bring a firearm in... it probably covered you taking it out as well... ? Possibly New Zealand is an exempt country. Canada isn't.

I know I can not simply cross the US border with firearms or ammunition or components without correct paperwork in hand.

Link to info: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...rt hunting rifle/session/L3NpZC9mcThkMjZYaw==

Form - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
All foreigners travelling in the US, (legally), are classified as NON-IMMIGRATE ALIENS. As such you are required to have been registered with the ATF and have the papers to say so. Legally, a NON-IMMIGRATE ALIEN, cannot be in posession of a firearm, or it's componets without this paper work from the ATF. The individual fireams and componets must be registered with ATF before entry. Form ATF (6NA) Revised August 2011, must be filled out and Faxed or sent to the ATF headquarters in Virginia. The form is very easy to fill out and amunition is listed in broad terms. Wait time is about 5 days to 6 weeks for approval, providing you have fill the form out correctly. One last thing, you must have a blanket invite from NBRSA, which is available through their business office, or a hunting licence from the state you are going to. This form does not legally allow you to transport a firearm from Ontario to Alberta through the US. Just as an off note, I have been traveling to the US for 35 years and have not had any problems, providing the paper work was done. Now I know there will be people who will scream and holler that this is an infridgment on their rights, but try and use that argument at 4 oclock in the morning in Detroit to the local Police who is just finishing his shift of being shot at by some local hood. Just do the paper work!!!!!

Back