If primer isn't falling out or

I have been using Norma brass for years in my 6.5 x 284 and after the second firing the primer pockets are real lose. The primer won't fall out but it's lose. I use a real small flat piece of cigarette paper and my problem has been solved.

The original .454 Casull cartridge had steel small rifle primer pocket bushings produced at that time.

IMG_1822.JPG

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/119707/page/1

Glenn;)

Last edited by a moderator:
DUDE!!! There's a guy here goes by 'Cheechako' that may be interested in those cases :)

I tried for 8yrs to find those inserts.... then Lapua Oy solved all my problems by producing appropriate cases so now I don't need them.

awesome

al

deer season is usualy in the cold weather.. as we know ammo w/ temp rise will increase the pressure. if memory serves me right, for every 5 deg. you a 1% pressure rise. so if you put ammo on a heater vent that has 135 deg. temp. you can create an over load apperance .that would be my first guess was the posability from the look of the case head.???

Freedom arms use to sell the bushings for the casull, I bought several hundred but it's probably been 25-30 yrs since I bought them.

Steve, I called Freedom Arms today. They haven't had these items for a long time. They have around 20 people on a waiting list and if enough guys opt in for a couple hundred each they'll contract another run.

al

One of the kids that shot BR Varmint Silhouette with us a few years ago had a very similar incident while shooting his M700 in 220 Swift. In his case, he'd already shot about 3/4 of the match, which consists of 4 banks of 10 targets, and unlimited sighters. He sent the rifle home with me, so I was able to examine it in detail.

The bolt was ruined, as the nose of the counterbore had actually expanded. The owner told me that he was using H380 in the ammo that day; after I borescoped the bore and commented on how much fouling I'd found, he admitted that he'd been out shooting prairie dogs "a couple of times" since the last time he'd cleaned the barrel. I've seen some pretty cruddy-looking bores before, but this one took the cake - there was so much carbon fouling that it was difficult to pick out the lands for nearly 6" ahead of the chamber. After that, there was a lot of copper & carbon for the next 10" or so, then mostly just copper fouling on out to the muzzle. It took quite a bit of cleaning with a variety of solvents & abrasives to get the bore clean. I've always wondered if it was an overcharged round, a bad case, the extensive bore fouling, or a combination of all three that caused his accident.

ammo blowup....?

One thing I don't think has been mentioned: a dead soft brass case head. Could the case have missed a step in it's making...the hardening of the head area? Annealing is done to the forward neck section, but a soft head could rupture, and then the flowing hot gasses will melt their way for further rifle/case destruction and schrapnel projecting.
Just like the O ring on the solid rocket boosters: once a leak starts, hot gases erode for massive failure.
Just a thought. Even a standard pressure load could make a 'too soft' case head melt and flow.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned: a dead soft brass case head. Could the case have missed a step in it's making...the hardening of the head area? Annealing is done to the forward neck section, but a soft head could rupture, and then the flowing hot gasses will melt their way for further rifle/case destruction and schrapnel projecting.
Just like the O ring on the solid rocket boosters: once a leak starts, hot gases erode for massive failure.
Just a thought. Even a standard pressure load could make a 'too soft' case head melt and flow.

257RobertsAckleyImrpovedRimmedfromNormabrass11-1-2012.jpg

I have been pushing the Mauser case head to 67kpsi, the belted magnum case higher, .223 case head to higher still, and the 6mmBR case head even higher.
If the distance between the extractor groove and the primer pocket is too small, the pockets get loose with less pressure, like with the 10mm and 25acp handgun brass.
But in rimmed cases, the brass should go much higher than with rimless. With rimmed and 6mmBR, the primer pocket should not drive the max pressure. I have tried every variation of this many times, I thought.
But in Oct 2012 I built a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved Rimmed on a Uberti 1885 Win falling block action. I worked up loads at the hunting site with presses in my vehicle.
I was going to use H4895 with 115 gr Bal Tip moly bullets, but the case heads started failing [loose primer pockets] around 60,000 psi per Quickload.
I switched to H4350 and shot the deer with a few hundred fps less than I had planned.

Norma had sold me dead soft case heads at $1 each.
This was not the "C26000 brass (cartridge brass) Temper - H06 Tensile yield strength - 65,300 psi" that Scott Sweet uses and assumption for Von Missed equations he uses to calculate the max pressure for each cartridge.

I have some other brands of 7x57mm loaded ammo on order that I will test for pressure.

Back