Identify This Powder Measure

G

GASTX

I got this measure recently in an estate sale and am not sure what brand it is. I am sure someone here will be able to identify it.

Thanks Gregg

Attachments

• Measure.jpg
    Measure.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,020
Thanks

It is a very well made powder measure, smooth as glass and works well.

Thanks for the identification.

Gregg

Early on Neil Jones made some black ones that looked like that.

I thought as much myself, I spoke to Neil Jones and sent him pictures and he indicated it was not one of his ( similar, yes but not his ). Some searching indicated it might have been sold under the Sinclair label but they said nope.

So I posted here where I should have in the first place :)

Gregg

Id

I got this measure recently in an estate sale and am not sure what brand it is. I am sure someone here will be able to identify it.

Thanks Gregg
Gregg:
The only identification Bob used on his powder measurer was a clear stick on label on the upper Aluminum-silver color ring which holds the powder bottle. This will also hold a Hodgen 1# powder container and also the Accurate 2# bottle. Great for a back up powder bottle.
If it has been used much the stick on label soon wore off or was unreadable.
Benchrite sells the drop tubes for Dodd powder measure in case you are in need.
CLP

Gregg:
The only identification Bob used on his powder measurer was a clear stick on label on the upper Aluminum-silver color ring which holds the powder bottle. This will also hold a Hodgen 1# powder container and also the Accurate 2# bottle. Great for a back up powder bottle.
If it has been used much the stick on label soon wore off or was unreadable.
Benchrite sells the drop tubes for Dodd powder measure in case you are in need.
CLP

Good to know about the drop tubes as I only have one and will need to order a couple more. Thanks for the information!

It is a very well made measure, nice machining, smooth operation

Some searching indicated it might have been sold under the Sinclair label but they said nope.

Sinclair had that measure in their catalog a couple (maybe three) years ago -- it was not "branded"; but, it wasn't in their catalog the last time I looked (last year, maybe). I've got one of those measures (bought it used on the internet) and it doesn't have any ID markings.

Sinclair made a measure for a number of years probably in the late 80's early 90's. The handle came up at 90 degrees to the drum and then bent away from the measure. A little larger diameter ball than the one in the photo at the end of the handle. The stops for the measure at the top and bottom of the stroke were two roll pins coming out of the measure body and the handle hit against the roll pins. I have several different powder measures in the shop including the RFD. I'll take a look at it and see how it compares to the one in your photo.

Sinclair made a measure for a number of years probably in the late 80's early 90's. The handle came up at 90 degrees to the drum and then bent away from the measure. A little larger diameter ball than the one in the photo at the end of the handle. The stops for the measure at the top and bottom of the stroke were two roll pins coming out of the measure body and the handle hit against the roll pins. I have several different powder measures in the shop including the RFD. I'll take a look at it and see how it compares to the one in your photo.

This one uses fairly large roll pins as stops as well ( doesn't show in the pic very well ). I have more pics if needed.

RFD Photo's

My RFD powder measure's

The inscription may be hard to read with flash glare
and the wear of label---Accuracy is best guess
RFD Rifles and Knives
wwwdoddknives.com
Ph ????????????
??????? Az 86322 (Zip Code for Camp Verde, Az)

Mr Boyd Allens post has the same appearing powder measure.
The web site this is obtained from is not a Sinclair site.

As we all know there is a great amount of copying of tools/instruments and relabeling.
I don't posses to know the real/whole truth--only that my 2 powder measures appear to be RFD's

CLP

Attachments

• DSCN0697.JPG
    DSCN0697.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 582
  • DSCN0696.JPG
    DSCN0696.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 468
  • DSCN0695.JPG
    DSCN0695.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 499
  • DSCN0698.JPG
    DSCN0698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 505
  • DSCN0699.JPG
    DSCN0699.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 423
  • DSCN0701.JPG
    DSCN0701.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 539
Last edited:
The one that Boyd has in the link is the Sinclair. The one Cecil shows is the Dodd. Sinclair's discontinued their measure after a short run. If you notice on the handle of the Sinclair it's tapped at 90 degrees into the knob barrel that holds the handle to the measure. Then it comes up and the rod for the handle has a bend in it. The handle for the Dodd measure is tapped in at an angle and the rod for the handle itself is straight with no bend in it. My Sinclair measure is marked with a serial number on the end of the insert underneath the cap plate on the left side of the measure. You have to remember that the Sinclair measure as well as maybe the Dodd measure were built before CNC was widely available and were very labor intensive which is probably why Sinclair's didn't make them very long.

The one that Boyd has in the link is the Sinclair. The one Cecil shows is the Dodd. Sinclair's discontinued their measure after a short run. If you notice on the handle of the Sinclair it's tapped at 90 degrees into the knob barrel that holds the handle to the measure. Then it comes up and the rod for the handle has a bend in it. The handle for the Dodd measure is tapped in at an angle and the rod for the handle itself is straight with no bend in it. My Sinclair measure is marked with a serial number on the end of the insert underneath the cap plate on the left side of the measure. You have to remember that the Sinclair measure as well as maybe the Dodd measure were built before CNC was widely available and were very labor intensive which is probably why Sinclair's didn't make them very long.

Mine has the handle tapped in at an angle and the handle itself is straight ( like the Dodd measure ). Mine has no stickers, engraving, etc on it. It appears to have been stashed away for some time as it has no evidence of it being used to speak of ( Knowing the previous owner this does not surprise me as he was a great caretaker of his equipment and always had a a backup unit just in case ).

I had seen the one from Sinclair in a yahoo image search and was the reason I contacted Sinclair about it but they didn't know much about it and didn't seem to know much about other measures they may have sold in years past ( side effect form Brownells purchase????? )

Thanks to everyone for getting it figured out as to who manufactured it. It is a nice measure and will get some gentle use at my bench.

Sinclair had that measure in their catalog a couple (maybe three) years ago -- it was not "branded"; but, it wasn't in their catalog the last time I looked (last year, maybe). I've got one of those measures (bought it used on the internet) and it doesn't have any ID markings.

The one in Sinclair catalog 2012-A, at p 88, is like the Dodd measure, as described by Mike; it's described as "Precision Reloading Culver Style Powder Measure."

I have

Early on Neil Jones made some black ones that looked like that.

one of Neils black early measures, got it for less than $200 with several tubes and both a large and small cavity brass adjustable cavities....every bit as good as the late model one I have.

I once had a Bob Dodd PPC LV rifle on one of his actions...a XP 100 clone. It was a very nice rig.

Below are photos of the Sinclair on the left with an adapter for a Mec bottle instead of the original pill bottle and the RFD on the right.

Attachments

• 2602.JPG
    2602.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 2603.jpg
    2603.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 277
Back