IBS rule on 10.5 lb weight

Why not ask your local weights and measures people to come out and certify the scale? Ask at a local grocery or deli or anywhere that sells retail by the pound they will most likely have the name of the people who check weights/scales for the county.

A couple of reasons:

1. The scales drift. Everyone builts up to within a ounce or so. Train wreck waiting to happen. Really need check weights on site.

2. The scale certification folks are paid for by taxes on the items that they sell. Sooner or later, someone would note that we charge a fee and use scale certification service, so we should be charging sales tax. It'd be a hassle.

FWIW,

Greg J.

Yes you are right it would be a hassle, maybe if people stopped pushing the weight rule as far as possible that would be less of a hassle? I always felt that it is the shooters responsibility to make sure his or her equipment is within the rules, not wonder if the rules should be changed to accommodate them

If a competitors rifle is overweight

You need to make absolutely certain that it's the rifle and not something else. That "something else" can be many things. If the fellow says "that's the rifle as I've been shooting it", and the scope caps are on, then that ain't the way he's been shooting it. Conversely, the competitor can not start taking off the all he can to make weight if he's already shot targets. A rifle that's overweight by a small amount, should be weighed indoors (no fans) along with the check weight test.

A scale should always fall within the allowance when the check weights are applied. If it doesn't, then the scale can't be used. Read the rule and think about it until you come to the same conclusion that Dick stated - the allowance is for the scale and not the rifle. It's almost the same - but not.

Shortly said, make sure the rifle is overweight before anybody is disqualified.

I'll go to my grave having DQ'd Tony Boyer one day in Roanoke. He cleaned his rifle and brought it back - and it just barely made weight. Sure, it was over the number a bit but not that much. The deal was that the rifle was not overweight until he shot it. It was that close...If we had an older scale that didn't read three places all would have been well. All would have been well if Tony's rifle had weighed less with the burnt powder in the barrel but...alas it didn't. I write this in explanation of how we did it once upon a time. We wrote down the number and any rifles that weighed more than the number were over.

Now that is the best example I ever heard of cutting it too close !

Didn't say we cut it too close...fact remains, it still haunts me to this day. I'll ask a question since I'm sayin' it haunts me....How much is "over"? Hundreth, thousandth, who it is, or just anything heavier than 10.5 + the allowance. I know the answer but asking that question "rhetorically". The rule is clear!

Another item that bugs me a bit is that me and J.D. allowed a younger fellow to continue without DQ and his rifle weighed way out. We told him that next time his rifle needed to weigh right - which it did. I suppose that I'm caught with an inconsistent "procedure" given that the rules don't specify that a "new shooter" can have a rifle that doesn't make weight.

Hey stoolie,
Tell me what your mathematics and engineering achievements are? I don't see anything in the rules that says round up or round down. If I missed it, please point it out.

it's common knowledge out side of texas and oklahoma..

Hey Stoolie, You reckon. Common knowledge? I don't believe you understand what that means. So you are saying that Us Okies and Texans don't round up or down our rifle weights like they do in the rest of the USA? I asked you a simple question, you are avoiding giving us where it is in the rulebook. This is not the first time you have changed course rather than answering the question.
.stoolie, you will find that I love yocals like you. I'll wear you out like an old dishrag!

i suppose i will have to spell it out in little words for an okie/texas wantabe.
you use the big words.."round up/round down"
how you round up or down is based on the decimal places in the rule....
that is the part that is common knowledge.
ever look at a drawing for manufacturing...???ever notice that they define tolerances in a chart based on decimal places.
that is because their requirements are above and beyond the norm..so they define the difference.
when you DO NOT DEFINE, then you fall into"common practice".
the rule book has a single decimal place, and no listed tolerances..it falls in to "common practice"
and that is what happens when you do not specify or define.
10.54 flies( it rounds down to 10.5), 10.55 does not..( it rounds up to 10.6).

Hey stoolie,
Why don't quit dancing around with semantics? Give the NBRSA or IBS rule to back yourself up.

So Stool
Tell us at which match you competed where a scale that went beyond 0.x was used to weigh rifles.
I believe that rarified, adulterated air in Colorado has you messed up. Go knit pick among your own kind. You and your talent(s?) aren't appreciated here.

It is getting close to Beck's time. This discussion is about BR rifle weights. Get back on the topic and point out whatever you are trying to say that is in the rule book. It ain't about rounding up or down. Get on the subject stoolie.

Come on stoolie, what in the 'ell are you saying. You are picking nits out of your AZZ. My comment was a 10.4 rifle could shoot as well as a 10.56. Agreeing with Scotty Crawford. Sounds like you are on the sauce. Lets get back to your point, where does rounding up or rounding down appear in the rules?

Mike,

awww while you were pulling on a lone star, you missed the point where it was asked what is the limit.

(wilbur in post 51 for one..you when you posted 10.56)

if you would ever shoot a registered match, someone might, I repeat, might pay attention to you. Untill then, why don't you relegate yourself to non-issues.

David

When did winter come back for drawn out goofy stuff to keep running on like this ? I thought the classes were roughly 10.5lbs = 10lb 8oz right? and 13.5lbs =13lbs 8oz right? Then why is there a disagreement whether the scale can read XX.50 or XX.56? I used to shoot NRA matches the weight limit was the weight limit if your rifle was over it was not the clubs fault, they did not have CERTIFIED check weights they were not required to. Most clubs had a check weight and it was used but if you worried about being to close to the limit then you removed weight from your rifle.

Last edited:
IBS rule on 10 .5 LB rifle weight

Gee I wonder what would have happened if I used the metric system
Lets see Kilograms, grams
Whats that come too?
Maybe the rule books should change giving the different weight systems.
so what 8 oz or .50 ponds in the metric system? Grams? and how many milligrams are we allowed for scale difference? In metric system?

If you can use a computer to post here, you should be able to find numerous units converters online. Our country's official system of weights and measures is pound foot, not metric.

Back