Ibs 1000 yd national championship match

Jeff,
My apologies to you I was responding to your comment "miscommunication". All of my comments are directed directly to Stanley Taylor and the officials of the White Horse Range.

Tom

Why the semi-legendary Bill Shehane said, after the 200? Nationals at Hawks Ridge, "I will NEVER be involved in putting on another Nationals."

Just as a note: At the 1997 Nationals (Old Virginia Club sponsorship) they were going around a second time on prizes, & my name had never been drawn even once. Same thing at Pella Iowa, in 2005.

It happens.

BTW I think of all those wonderful times I did win prizes -- there was the $250 barrel block that caused me to spend another $1,000 building a rifle to use it, and that's with the 1/2 off a barrel I won at another match...

Prizes cost you money. The only solution is "Just Say No..."

I can't imagine what it woul be like to run a Nationals and I certainly appreciate all the hard work that it takes to do it. But, an error is an error. I've reread Tom Murtiff's post and it sounds to me like he WON 2 or more prizes, (wasn't being drawn for prizes) and that he never had a chance to say "NO." I'd like to see the persons responsible for prize distribution weigh in on the confusion and if there was a mistake made, make it right!

Tom,
Congratulations! Sounds like you did some good shootin!
I hate to here about problems like these on the internet it makes us look bad.
I have said for years the prizes donated (or sold to ranges at a reduced price to be given as a trophies) by sponsors should be given to the winners. It's a National Championship Match!
The idea of everyone gets a prize sounds elementary to me, thats what all the solvent samples and bore brushes are good for.
Anyone involved knows what the top prizes are or the ones most desirable by shooters and the should be labeled as trophies for specific classes. If one man shoots so well he takes all the top trophies, well, he earned it.
Most Nationals I've been to have sveral N/F scopes "usually considered top choice prizes" and given to the grand overalls in each catagory actions, barrels and stocks are good prizes to give to the individual group and score champions so label them as such and lay them out on a trophy table with the international and range trophies so the shooters that win can pick up thier pile of winnings and move on. The match results or closing ceremonies would be over faster and if there should be a mistake "that'll never happen" then the trophies and prizes can be redistributed to their rightful recipients. Sounds easy to me and it prevents problems like these from happening in the first place much less showing up on the internet.
I always hate to here about prize related problems at any shoot just because of what the sponsors might think about all us grown men sqabbling over thier generous gift to our sport.

I think everyone Knows there is a problem with the prizes awarded at the IBS Nationals or the PA. World open either your given to much or not enough! I think there should be a table set up for top honers, such as Two gun, Overall light gun, Overall heavy gun, now if you win group and or score first place you have already been to the prize table you go to a lesser table to pick a prize. This should be worked out by a committee.

Joe Salt

I can't imagine what it woul be like to run a Nationals and I certainly appreciate all the hard work that it takes to do it. But, an error is an error. I've reread Tom Murtiff's post and it sounds to me like he WON 2 or more prizes, (wasn't being drawn for prizes) and that he never had a chance to say "NO." I'd like to see the persons responsible for prize distribution weigh in on the confusion and if there was a mistake made, make it right!

Winning or drawing, it's pretty much the same problem. I "won" a barrel for coming in around 17th in LG Group once (about 140 shooters), and "won" nothing at all for coming in 6th overall at Pella (again about 140 shooters). Now 17th in one class is pretty far down... And 6th overall is pretty far up. Or so it seemed to me. Different matches, different prizes.

Don't shoot fro prizes, you'll just be disappointed. 4th is darn good, be proud Mr. Murtiff. My hat's off to you.

Maybe the prize table Joe suggests is the way to go, but from the Nationals I've been to, the vendors get a kick over having their product announced with a winner -- a fair number of vendors do attend the match. You want to make them feel good, because there's always next year, when you'll need them (or people will grumble about the lack of prizes. Been there, ...)

You can do announcements with a prize table too, but it slows down the whole thing, sometimes beyond what's reasonable. People are trying to get home, too.

Any news from the big match?

Hey Jay,It was a wild match,We missed ya man.After the third relay of the morning it got the point which we were fighting just to stay on the target.the groups went up and the points went down, out of the blue would come a flyer.OUCH.

Tim in Tx

Last edited by a moderator:
Who won the Seb Neo that was donated?

It's actually a seb MAX, not the NEO.

Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that I got no response/update about the rest prize/raffle... until today.
I was asked if I could donate a rest before this, so that is. I even donated the MAX, my thought was it's more suitable for the match/1,000 yds.
It's too bad that the parcel didn't arrive on Sat....however the rest raffle still could be managed/done during the prize award, I hope? I don't think I would give a 'BS', in fact the rest on it's way to WV last week, it's just beyond of my control that the rest didn't arrive on Sat. (Fedex will make an open apology for that! For you that attended the match).

Somebody can tell me if the rest was raffled during the prize award?

seb.

With all of this stuff about prizes, I haved failed to see anyone congratulate Mark King on winning the event. the title is more important than a few goodies from the prize table.

Mark, CONGRATULATIONS on winning the 2012 IBS 1000 Yard Benchrest National Championship. I believe also, that you the only one to lay claim to have winning this & the Pa. 1000 Yard World Open. You are one hell of a shooter. You Da Man.

Danny

I second Danny Brooks, Mark King is one hell of a shooter and an all around good guy. My hats off to you Mark and the rest of the PA guys. Shannon L

Congrats to Mark King,Jeff Mottern, Matt Kline,Tom Murtiff on your IBS wins! Mark King is also one of the best gunsmiths around. He smithed the guns for the winners mentioned here. and built many of the 10 shot world record guns!

Back