I solved the (deleted) problem about shooting in the rain

KimZ

First I looked at the relative momentum (mv) of a 2mm raindrop falling at 5 m/s vs a .177 Monster pellet travelling at 243 m/s (800fps = HV). Without getting into calculation details, the raindrop has about 1/10,000 as much momentum as the pellet.

Another approach attributes to Mike's observation of a puff of water vapor when a drop is struck by a pellet: the temperature (kinetic energy) of the water must be increased by the impact, from ambient temperature to approximately boiling temperature, in order to change phase from liquid to gas. Raising the temperature of 1cm^3 of water one degree C is the definition of a calorie - which is also 4.18 Joule. Without showing calculations, raising the temperature of a 2mm raindrop by 80*C lowers the energy of the pellet by 1 or 2% - which is well below typical velocity ES.

There are other calculations which can be done to analyze raindrop effects on pellet rotation speed, Magnus effect, etc. However the solution involves none of these, nor momentum nor thermodynamics. The actual solution is that one should never shoot in the rain because it will damage your wind flags. :cool:

The actual solution is that one should never shoot in the rain because it will damage your wind flags. :cool:

and lower your score

but shooting is so much fun we do it anyway
keep a towel handy to wipe down and moisture off

I like KimZ's post so much better than AZUARO's. It seems much less challenging to read - along with being a whole lot simpler for us non-brainiacs to follow. Plus, Kim doesn't seem to be trying to prove how much he/she (sorry, Kim can go either way) knows, just stating facts about raindrops and getting wet if you're out in them while they fall.

And strever, speaking of towels: right after getting our guns back in '08, while at an Outdoor match over here in MA when it was pouring down rain with quite a noticeable headwind I had hung a towel from one of the rafters over my bench to try and help keep my gun/scope/rest dry. The problem was (and I'll bet you've already gussed where I'm going with this) a couple of the shots went unexplained all over the place. It wasn't until I finished the target when I realized I had hung the towel a bit too low, so there were a few new holes punched through it. Funny that didn't become obvious when I was looking through my scope. I carry that towel with me to this day more as a reminder, but also as a memento of days gone by.

Dave

I thought I remembered he was a he from years back, but you know how our memories can go as we get older. I just didn't want to assume I remembered when maybe not.

Thanks for that, and I'll try to remember when tomorrow comes.

Dave

I solved............

Kim, I do believe you may have posted the all time definitive clarification on this touchy subject. Still laughing at your clarification and common sense approach..............good work!

Now, If you are looking for other problems to solve I have a shooter friend in Arkansas whom shall remain anonymous that has experiences and score modification from shooting through spider webs.

Frank Tirrell;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren't spider webs used for cross hairs somewhere back in the mists of time gone by?

And the good news about that would have been, the spider could have acted as the DOT?

I solved............

Gentlemen you be right..........first recorded use of a spider web crosshair in a telescope was by a fellar named William Gascoigne an amateur astronomer WAY BACK IN THE 17TH CENTURY.

Frank

Back