I saw an awsome machine the other day- - -

Pete Wass

I visited a friend the other day who has a Hardinge Chucker lathe. His machine has the automatic threading attachment on it, which he demonstrated to me. I called it quite fantastic and wondered why everyone who makes rifles doesn't own one. Imagine, threads done perfectly, safely and automatically! One can watch a machine like it at work on Youtube if anyone is interested.

Pete

Last edited:
A Hardinge Chucker lathe is a great piece of equipment.

I think most of the work they did has mostly all been taken over by CNC lathes.

Hardinge is a first rate company to deal with for parts and service. Their turret lathes were an essential tool for second operations in most screw machine shops. Ours still get a work out.

The real grabber for me was watching the old cam Swiss machines run. I went to check them out when I was young and looking for work. I never really was able to pull myself completely away.

Anyway the basic advantage of them is they have a guide bushing up near the tool holders. The headstock slides back a forth shoving the material through the guide bushing allowing you to make very long parts. A long part like say you wanted to make a titanium firing pin for Mr. Hall and his Hall actions.

Anyway then you have a cam shaft along the back of the machine that has cams, like plates standing on edge. These plates have bumps cut into the edge to make the headstock poke material out at the same time other bumps make the tools move in and cut the material sticking out.

One revolution of the camshaft makes one part and then the whole cycle begins again.

The old cam machines have also had most of their work taken over by CNC machines. They could really put out the parts though.

I ran screw machines for years. Davenport 5 spindles and swiss machines making screws. You wouldnt believe the acres of cams and toolholders and springs and tools you gotta have to operate one of those machines. We had a room bigger than the shop that had 25 machines just for tooling.

Back