I need a powder dispenser looking at RCBS Charge master or Harrell thrower

because way too many "br shooters" are lemmings....follow the trend only, not self thinkers.
are you gonna really load at the range ? for what caliber and what powder ? all are contributing factors to the decision.
with an unlimited supply of oem 8208 a harrells is just fine, with n133 not so.
mike in co
I did do a search first. Concensus not good.............

Matchman

I don't know anyone who felt they gained "an edge" by buying a particular powder measure.

I don't know you but, in my humble opinion, unless you can shoot up to the level of your rifle, any of the expensive measures are probably a waste of money. A good old RCBS with the micrometer thimble will throw charges plenty good for most powders and charge weights. When you are truly competitive, then you'll have enough experience where you won't have to ask others what to buy.

But, that's only my opinion, FWIW.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a chargemaster. I like it. I started with the RCBS and thimble micrometer, then found an original Culver made measure.
I dont know if it will give me an actual edge but it will help mentally at least. I wont be so worried about the occasional.5+ grain variance I/we occasionally get with 133.
Or so I hope.

Buy both......

But 30 min between matches.... Gotta speed-up that chargemaster... Get ugly looks for holding up match after match try'n to weigh each charge and clean gun and... ...... Accurate powder dropping >CAN< be obtained and a bunch faster....

Other option is pre-load with the chargemaster.... Bring >buncha< pre weighed vials of a few diff tune loads... This is way fast too and accurate... But.

cale

Gotta speed-up that ChargeMaster...

Call RCBS, ask for Don Legg Jr., the 1500 Combo programmer. Only deal with Don. He'll walk you through the speed up, including the slow trickle portion which will be sped up too, and keep you from overthrowing at the same time. Great guy!

I have the print out of the programming thats needed to speed it up if you want it. Rather now they are pdfs and web links.
Pretty simple but mine seems fast enough at the moment.

Buy both......

But 30 min between matches.... Gotta speed-up that chargemaster... Get ugly looks for holding up match after match try'n to weigh each charge and clean gun and... ...... Accurate powder dropping >CAN< be obtained and a bunch faster....

Other option is pre-load with the chargemaster.... Bring >buncha< pre weighed vials of a few diff tune loads... This is way fast too and accurate... But.

cale

Easy fix for all of that, change to a 30, load on wednesday clean at the end of match even if a 2 day match.

Buy both......

cale

Cale, how many rounds are you shooting at each target?? Shouldn't take over 3 minutes to drop 10 cases of powder. There is a way to speed up a Chargemaster though, call the RCBS 800 number Mon-Thur and ask for Don Legg Jr. He can talk you through how to speed it up about 30-40%.

Is there a correlation of winning and weighing powder? Asked differently, do folks that weigh powder win more often than those that drop powder?

Is there a correlation of winning and weighing powder? Asked differently, do folks that weigh powder win more often than those that drop powder?

Now Wilbur....I just got reamed out pretty good making the same or very similar "insinuation" on another thread.
:)

if you speed up the CM you get a lot of overcharges that have to be delt with. then the wind and earthquakes cause short charges that have to be delt with. all of which slows down the CM. with ideal conditions i have thrown charges in 15 seconds. that is not the average over the course of a match however. like cale, i find you had better manage your time wisely if you use a CM.

my opinion is that if we kept shooting n133, one would see more winners that weight powder. there is a very distinct advanage to wieghing n133. if we see more new powders that are small, the powder measure will work and may skew the results. shooters ability and the wind will continue to obscure the advantages of weighing powder.

just my 2 cents worth

mike in co

On weighing Vs. Dropping volume.......... Thar it is....

>Short Range< Benchrest..... NOT Long Range Benchrest....

I do not use a Chargemaster.... Just poseing the question to help the O.P. .... New guys have enough to worry about at a match.... Ab, Vern and Jerry... That info will go a ways in helping those Chargemaster users...
Just say'n 30min bet matches goes FAST..!

My opinion, get a Harrell measure, a quality .05gr or better resolution precision balance (electronic scale) and practice throwing powder... It does WORK and Win.... Consistent Flag Reading to WIN... Now THAT's a mouth FULL..!

my opinion is that if we kept shooting n133, one would see more winners that weight powder. there is a very distinct advanage to wieghing n133. if we see more new powders that are small, the powder measure will work and may skew the results. shooters ability and the wind will continue to obscure the advantages of weighing powder.

Tend to agree....

cale

I have the Harrells powder measure and have used it for years. Last year I was able to get my hands on an old Belding & Mull. Did a comparison between the two and found that the old Belding and Mull threw charges much more consistantly than the Harrells and that includes 133. I know they may be a little hard to come by and they do take a little more time but I find myself using the old Belding & Mull now while the Harrells is collecting dust.

Back