I gotta know... BAT vs Panda

Although the original post asked about BAT vs Panda, let me add that there are several other choices that deserve consideration. Jerry Stillers line of actions are as good as any, as are Jim Borden's new line of actions. The new Farleys are used by a number of top shooters today. As I said above, we are blessed to have many top actions from which to choose. James

Charles,
Since I own 5 Pandas and 1 Stiller action, I would have to say Mary Ann during the week & Ginger on the weekends. :)

Best,
Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

I have been shooting competitve benchrest since 1975, and have seen a lot of trends come and go.
FWIW, I belive that some fads are actually determined by what is readily available at the time. When I first started in this wonderful sport, everybody ran a Hart barrel. I met Jerry Hart in 1980 at Camillus - they were producing heaps of barrels and the rest of the manufacturers were not. Shilen barrels were popular in the Southern States. Now, we have a greater choice, and down here in Australia we have one very fine barrel maker in neville Madden (Maddco) plus we have a reliable agent for Kreiger here in my home town. We use what we can get (and what works, of course).
As for the BAT vs Panda....well I have a BAT DS, a Teddy and a Panda. They are all fine actions, and I would go into a World Championship with any of them. I won the Individual 2 Gun at the WBC in NZ in 2001 with the Teddy, and the gold medal in the Aus team in South Africa using the BAT. The bottom line is that you can buy either a BAT or a Panda and be pretty sure that you are getting state of the art machinery. How you use it, is another matter.

Brendan Atkinson
in South Australia

Yep the Jewell trigger seems to hold its own, but i must say that since Shilen has redone there production line on there 2oz trigger im a convert. These triggers are really really nice. The machining of the parts are superb!! The best part of it all is that you can save about 50 bucks with the shilen. I even like the trigger shoe better on the shilen trigger!!

Blue Short-Shorts. Need I say more.........jackie

One for you, Jackie.....enjoy.

P.S. Mary Ann would shoot a Panda. ;)

-maryann.jpg

Yep the Jewell trigger seems to hold its own, but i must say that since Shilen has redone there production line on there 2oz trigger im a convert. These triggers are really really nice. The machining of the parts are superb!! The best part of it all is that you can save about 50 bucks with the shilen. I even like the trigger shoe better on the shilen trigger!!

Skeet, What were the changes and what are the dates? Need to find out which side of the production my Shelin trigger is on.
Centerfire

Skeet, What were the changes and what are the dates? Need to find out which side of the production my Shelin trigger is on.
Centerfire

Honestly, if you have a product and it is working fine why do you desire information that might make you doubt it ? My guess would be Shilen would tell you all of their triggers are good.

I dont know the dates or anything like that but i do think that the upgrades or whatever took place is at least 1 year old, or ago. Call shilen I'm sure they would fill you in. One thing i have noticed about the newer production triggers is that the sear is a lot sharper. What i mean is that the corners are nice and sharp and very well made. You can tell just by looking at these triggers that they were made properly. If i get bored here in a bit i will take a couple pics. My new terry Leonard stock is here so i may not get all that bored!! LOL!! Lee

I dont know the dates or anything like that but i do think that the upgrades or whatever took place is at least 1 year old, or ago. Call shilen I'm sure they would fill you in. One thing i have noticed about the newer production triggers is that the sear is a lot sharper. What i mean is that the corners are nice and sharp and very well made. You can tell just by looking at these triggers that they were made properly. If i get bored here in a bit i will take a couple pics. My new terry Leonard stock is here so i may not get all that bored!! LOL!! Lee

Thanks Skeet, Mine is much older. I had trouble getting the feel I wanted.
Dick, you are so right. Thanks for the wisdom.
Centerfire

Back