I got my hands on some danzac!!

I read on 6mmbr that the danzac sticks or impacts better when the bullets are warm or even hot. Anyone have anything to add there? Lee

Yep, I don't know if it's directly because of the temperature or the lower humidity as a result of it...but it does seem to help. The danzac seems to get somewhat clammy with moisture, and it coats faster and more evenly, for me, if the bullets are warm. I've also run the vibratory tumbler under a heat lamp with the same good results from the heat.--Mike

Humidity is the culprit of lousy coatings(plating).

I've moly plated a lot of bullets outside in 30-40 degree temps temps, but with low humidity, with outstanding results.

Humidity is the culprit of lousy coatings(plating).

I've moly plated a lot of bullets outside in 30-40 degree temps temps, but with low humidity, with outstanding results.

That's why I mentioned it. It makes sense, but I wasn't positive if my results were from temp or humidity....kinda a chicken or the egg thing. Thanks alf.--Mike

I have been using Danzac for about 5 years now, with a tumbler set-up just for it.

Before I put them in the tumbler, I have a clear plastic sports drink bottle with a pull up top that I dump the bullets in first. Then I put some 90% isopropyl alcohol in the bottle. Close the top and shake the bullets up for a few seconds. Then open the top and squeeze out the alcohol back into it's original container.

Dump the bullets on a towel and let them dry. Once dry, they are ready for the tumbler. This gets off any oil or wax that is on the bullets.

I have about 5 pounds of F-shot in the tumbler that I can put 500 bullets in and a butter knife tip of danzac. Turn it on for about 1 to 1.5 hours.

After that I have a plastic colander that I drilled some holes in to let the shot fall through but not the bullets. I dump the bullets and shot in the colander and work them back and forth to get rid of most of the shot. Then I dump all the bullets into a dry towel. Swish the bullets back and forth in the towel for about a minute. This gets all the residual Danzac off and polishes them nicely. They are then ready to be loaded.

Oh ya, when doing this I wear powder-free latex gloves and a dust mask. After the final swish in the towel, the bullets are good to go. When loading you very little on your fingers. It's very good stuff that doesn't build up like moly in the bore. These are my personal findings.

Lastly, I feel that it helps with consistent bullet seating. Yes proper neck tension and even case neck thickness is the main thing, but the Danzac gives the bullets a very consistent lubricity too.

.002" neck tension has always worked great for me with the coated bullets.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have noticed a stinking ars smell, almost a rotten egg smell, when cleaning my barrels that i have used danzac in. I dont know if it is because of the solvent i am using or if this is strictly the danzac. Man does it stink. Almost to the point were i may not continue using it, if it reacts this way to every cleaning solvent i have. I like to use Pro Shot IV .

On a side note can someone please share the barrel cleaning procedures when using danzac? Lee

Last edited:
i'm not sure what you are saying..but moly IS SUPPOSE TO BULID UP...AS IN COAT THE ENTIRE BORE.
if you clean with brushes , you remove.damage the coating.and will have erratic results.
moly'd bbls should be cleaned with chemicals and patches..not brushes.
mike in co
I

It's very good stuff that doesn't build up like moly in the bore. These are my personal findings.

Hope this helps!

i'm not sure what you are saying..but moly IS SUPPOSE TO BULID UP...AS IN COAT THE ENTIRE BORE.
if you clean with brushes , you remove.damage the coating.and will have erratic results.
moly'd bbls should be cleaned with chemicals and patches..not brushes.
mike in co

Mike,
You Ass-U-Me that Tungsten Disulfide (danzac) and Molybdenum Disulfide act the same. Nothing could be further from the fact. Moly continues to build to a compression point. It will plate over itself and will build up in a bore. Danzac will only caot the bare in a single layer and is burnished off/re-layered on each shot. Moly has an affinity for the steel in the barrel that keeps you from ever truly cleaning it all the way out without taking some truly extreme measure to do the job. Danzac ( Tungsten Disulfide) only has a impact afinity for the steel and can be easily cleaned away. Danzac easily allows other impurities to be cleaned from the bore and then re-coating by shooting. Moly will mask copper build-up by it's continuous plating characteristics.

They both work if managed properly. Both are NOT a panacea.

you miss read what i said and what he said....
i said nothng and implied nothing about danzac..i spoke only about moly and intent to coat ...
no assumptions at all.. i do not use danzac....i do use hbn......
what did i miss
mike in co

Mike,
You Ass-U-Me that Tungsten Disulfide (danzac) and Molybdenum Disulfide act the same. Nothing could be further from the fact. Moly continues to build to a compression point. It will plate over itself and will build up in a bore. Danzac will only caot the bare in a single layer and is burnished off/re-layered on each shot. Moly has an affinity for the steel in the barrel that keeps you from ever truly cleaning it all the way out without taking some truly extreme measure to do the job. Danzac ( Tungsten Disulfide) only has a impact afinity for the steel and can be easily cleaned away. Danzac easily allows other impurities to be cleaned from the bore and then re-coating by shooting. Moly will mask copper build-up by it's continuous plating characteristics.

They both work if managed properly. Both are NOT a panacea.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I got some Danzac on my hands!!"
al
Be sure to wash your hands before you tear into that new bag of Doritos your wife bought you.

One other thing i am noticing with this Danzac is that i can feel small differences in my case necks. I never knew the brass i was buying varied so much. I think its time to start turning my own brass. I havent turned any brass on my own because i had a fella that i was buying it from already turned for a fair price. I knew there was a little difference in some of it from measuring, but by me using this Danzac i can really feel the difference. I even went as far as to do some testing on paper and sure enough it makes a difference as to were the bullet impacts the target. I would even go as far to say that the danzac exaggerates this shift of impact. Maybe a little early for me to state this as a true found fact, but it is looking as so.
al, go wash your hands! Lee

Last edited:
Skeet,

I was thinking when considering moly/danzac coating that the bullets should seat easier and more uniformly due to the "lube" and that it should at least theoretically reduce neck runout and seating pressure irregularities.........Hmmmm.

When I experimented with applying graphite to the bullet prior to seating it noticeably reduced seating effort and I though masked the slight irregularities that I could detect when "naked" using an arbor press.

What is the neck variance after turning?

I have noticed up to .0004 differences from piece to piece when measuring. I can really feel the difference when seating a bullet with danzac. One was so loose on a new piece of brass i thought the bullet fell through the neck. Slipped right on in. The next one would feel normal. Like i say i need to stop depending on others and turn my own, and i will. The fella that turns my brass now turns a lot of it, so who is to say i wont also have this problem??? Time will tell! Lee

Lee,
The big advantage of a carbide mandrel is that they have much less tendency to have brass transfer to them right under the cutter, where the pressure is highest during turning. With a good lube(I don't need STP.) and some attention to technique, turning necks is really no big deal. Even so, since I only turn my own, I keep my Holland neck mic. handy and check each neck after turning, just to make sure. My extreme spread is no more than .0001. If I can, you can.
Boyd

Back