I can't call my shots with M1A

Try to put yourself in his place fellows.
Its a M1 A _ 14 . narrow military stock on a so so rest . I doubt the bags are anyway near the shape they should be to hold the fore end steady.
Its a 308 {plenty of Kick} It weighs about 9.5 pounds The stock has a very low comb. The addition of a mount sets the scope pretty high.
He has no lace on cheek Piece yet. Its pretty hard to get comphy on the bench with the setup.
Good sand bags should help a lot up front and holding down on the fore stock. Good shoulder pressure should also help a lot.
uncontrolled the M14 m1A can be a beast . Its not stocked any where near like a hunting rifle.

thanks

you have given me many suggestions to incorporate into my next visit to the range. I will probably switch scopes to my HBRII after 20 shots, to check for improvement over my Leupold 10X. cheekrest on order. I will hold on to it as if the Sergeant Instructor were trying to take it from me.

Try to hold it loosely as well. When i work up loads for em i only hold the grip and let the front bounce. I put the rest just behind the gas hole around where the sling would normally pressure it

Please realize that you are asking a question that is largely foreign to BR shooting, in which there is no need to "call the shot" because the sight picture should be so perfect when you pull the trigger that any deviation from perfect just can't be seen. The fit and handling of the rifle/rest system should make calling the shot irrelevant.

If by "call the shot" you mean simply to see and remember the last sight picture before it's gone due to recoil, then focus on follow through. Dry fire practice will help. Train yourself to avoid blinking, and stare through the scope, or where the scope was, throughout and beyond recoil.

If by "call the shot" you mean to successfully predict from your last sight picture where the bullet strikes the target, then you need to fix the rifle/rest first. It isn't possible to call a shot according to this second definition unless the rifle shoots better than the deviation you call.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Keith has the right description of "calling a shot". It comes from actually holding the rifle, i.e.--standing off hand, sitting , prone. The sight picture is in constant movement, when the shot breaks, you then "call the shot'. (sight picture at that moment.) I've never heard of calling a shot in benchrest, other than when one goes out and calling it a #$$%^&*. ;)

Equip configuration variables-
Action underlugged/double underlugged?
Action Pillared or Glue in?
Barrel Manuf/Chamber/Twist?
Bolt Manuf?
Op Rod Manuf?
Bolt Roller to Op Rod properly TIMED?
Gas Cyl Manuf?
Gas Cyl-Front Band unitized?
Stock Front Band/Gas Cyl pre-loaded or not?
Piston(s) spec's/weights?
Gas Cyl Lock & Plug properly TIMED?
Flash Hider Reamed to NM spec w/ tapered reamer?
Flash Hider glued on?
Front Sight Post machined?
Trigger Group pins manufactured?
Trigger Group w/ adj overtravel?

A couple items to consider ...........equipment wise
Stock to trigger group pre-load adj by set screws?

Apparently the 173/174's isn't the bullet for your current set-up.
Try loading some 155gr over 42/43gr IMR 4895/4064

Shoot the rifle w/iron sights in your current bench set-up.
(aiming black scaled to front sight post & hold 6 o'clock hold)
Let the rifle recoil/jump around in the rest as you can't hold it down consistently.

Awesome rifles.....once you get the numerous mechanical issues resolved.

When we shoot them for accuracy in a machine rest, the forend must be held down securely at the front sling swivel. If the rifle shoots accuratley you should be able to call your shots. I have done it at 300yds RF prone and called the three 9 o'clock 10's in 7x clean. A good M14NM should be able to shoot 1/2moa at 600yds.

cant call my shots

to the OP, lots of good tips already given, however you still seem a bit lost.. Perhaps a new approach will help... Hold on to the rifle at every potential contact point as you would hold on to a lively rambunctious woman. Firmly enough she knows who is in charge, but leaving a little room for her own expression. And, build yourself a cheek-piece out of pipe insulation and duct tape such that you have another warm fuzzy contact point for pleasure and control. Your little hellcat is giving you whiplash, which is why you cant call your shot. If this does not register........hopeless. Seymour

2020 update

I stumbled upon this forgotten thread while searching for another topic.
I want to thank you for all your constructive comments. I have re-evaluated all aspects of my rifle, reloads, and bench technique, made some improvements and other changes, and shot the two attached groups before I took a break two years ago to repair my right shoulder.

Attachments

• M1A 3-20-2018 B CVSF.jpg
    M1A 3-20-2018 B CVSF.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 113
  • M1A 3-20-18 D CVSF.jpg
    M1A 3-20-18 D CVSF.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
generic m14's are not great target rifles.
what twist is your bbl ?
the best my m14 ever did was just under .9 at 200.
the method was on a bench, solid single hold and 5 shots semi auto with federal match 168 with a 25x power scope.
way too many hiccups in your collection.
168/175 bullet
smaller target/more power in the scope.( aim small miss small)
if you are shooting singles, you are not repeating your position well.

shooting is still better than not shooting, i gave up on the ancientm14 and moved on to the ar10.
a target version of an ar10( quality parts quality chamber) is an easy 1 moa or less.

I stumbled upon this forgotten thread while searching for another topic.
I want to thank you for all your constructive comments. I have re-evaluated all aspects of my rifle, reloads, and bench technique, made some improvements and other changes, and shot the two attached groups before I took a break two years ago to repair my right shoulder.

i thought my first foray into the benchrest world would be more enlightening.

I will restate my question in my first post: Can any of you offer some advice that might help me to see the dot? Thankyou.

I hate to be rude and argumentative, but readers who don't understand that basic shooting concept, calling the shot, might should sit on the bench and don't hijack my thread. My question is not about equipment, ammo, or gunsmithing; it's about bench technique for heavy recoiling rifles. Sorry.
for heavy rcoil grip stock in bad weather i put small table inside with my rest and rear bag and dry fire out the window at target 20 yds.WITH SPOT LIGHT./.

Back